Newbie 1st time at hydro,quick ppm question

gunjababy

Whats up I have a quick question on PPM's, i tested my nutrient solution and the PPM's read 300, according to my nute chart(FoxFarm) it says that my ppm have to be at 700-840, i just took a reading and it says 300. How do i raise my PPM's. The lady at the store told me to add more nutes,but if i do then i'll be going over the recommended amount.

I have 2 plants 1 blueberry and the other is shunk #1. they are 6 days old i think. ( I say i think because when do you really start their life cycle)
here's the rundown:

11/24 germed seeds
11/26 seeds crack showing 1/4 inch taproot, place in rockwool in dome under lights wit heating mat.
11/27 seeds broke ground
12/1 DWC arrived and place in since

12/3 just added FF grow big and a lil super thrive.

Any way how old are my babies ? And also the PPM question ?

how do you get your water? well or city?
I have well water and my PPM is 225. I just pretend its not there. If Im 225 and I want 1500 Ill add 1500 and it will read 1725 PPM (aprox)
the only trouple is that you really dont know whats in your water (like me)
being well water I know theres Iron, and calcium etc which is good. My plants will grow on straight water forever..not as if they had full nutes but they grow

how do you get your water? well or city?
I have well water and my PPM is 225. I just pretend its not there. If Im 225 and I want 1500 Ill add 1500 and it will read 1725 PPM (aprox)
the only trouple is that you really dont know whats in your water (like me)
being well water I know theres Iron, and calcium etc which is good. My plants will grow on straight water forever..not as if they had full nutes but they grow

I get city water, i guess my real question was how to raise the PPm's, I was told at more nutes, but then if i do that it will be over the recommend dose. So what do i go by PPM's or the label on the bottle. I use fox farm nutes and i am also growing in Hydro. my seedlings are 7 days old what should be my PPm's at 7 days old. 1 blueberry and 1 shunk #1

Hi gunjababy.

As was said above, test the ppm of your water before adding nutes and subtract that amount from the total after adding nutes to get your true ppm. If your nutes are really at 300 ppm that's enough to start your young plants off with. Once they start showing vigorous growth add more nutes to bring them up to the range you want. Measure carefully and take notes so you can see how much to add to get to where you want to be. Don't follow the recommended amount, go by the ppm reading. 700-840 sounds good once they are really rockin'. You may want to go higher depending on the amount of light, growth rate etc. I just bumped my girls up to 1000 ppm and pH 5.4. They've been in the tubs for 22 days and I switched to flower about 8 or 9 days ago. They are 22" tall and growing about 1 1/2 - 2"/day.

If you don't know what's in your water, go to your town/city hall and ask for a water analysis report. Usually free and if the nosy buggers want to know why you want it tell them you're going to make homemade beer and it's none of their f'n business anyhow.

Your rez temp is way too high. You should try to get it below 75F. It does have an air stone and lots of bubbles I hope. What exactly is the system you're using. If you have a link put it up here so I can go have a look. I make my own and like to see what others are using.

Get some hydrogen peroxide and add 2cc/USG of 35% food grade to prevent root rot unless you're using organic nutes then maybe HydroGuard or something similar would be better. I use AN nutes and they're pure hydro nutes. As my sig says, Better living through chemistry.

Check out my grow journal and Bubbler tub How-To. You may find some ideas there.

Good luck!

:peace:

Hi gunjababy.

As was said above, test the ppm of your water before adding nutes and subtract that amount from the total after adding nutes to get your true ppm. If your nutes are really at 300 ppm that's enough to start your young plants off with. Once they start showing vigorous growth add more nutes to bring them up to the range you want. Measure carefully and take notes so you can see how much to add to get to where you want to be. Don't follow the recommended amount, go by the ppm reading. 700-840 sounds good once they are really rockin'. You may want to go higher depending on the amount of light, growth rate etc. I just bumped my girls up to 1000 ppm and pH 5.4. They've been in the tubs for 22 days and I switched to flower about 8 or 9 days ago. They are 22" tall and growing about 1 1/2 - 2"/day.

If you don't know what's in your water, go to your town/city hall and ask for a water analysis report. Usually free and if the nosy buggers want to know why you want it tell them you're going to make homemade beer and it's none of their f'n business anyhow.

Your rez temp is way too high. You should try to get it below 75F. It does have an air stone and lots of bubbles I hope. What exactly is the system you're using. If you have a link put it up here so I can go have a look. I make my own and like to see what others are using.

Get some hydrogen peroxide and add 2cc/USG of 35% food grade to prevent root rot unless you're using organic nutes then maybe HydroGuard or something similar would be better. I use AN nutes and they're pure hydro nutes. As my sig says, Better living through chemistry.

Check out my grow journal and Bubbler tub How-To. You may find some ideas there.

Good luck!

Labrat, thanks for the info. I threw in some super thrive along wit fox farm hydro grow big which brought it to the 300 ppm's. when i read the plain water i get 45-50 ppm's (city water). as far as the res temp i place a heating mat under the res, i didnt have a thermometer at the time so when i touch water felt cold to me thats why i added the heating mat but has since remove do u think i should at some water to help wit temp ? i dont have a link yet due to busted camera but will have 1 soon.:grinjoint:

oh yeah i have 1 of those simple DWC system no drip just air pump and bubbler.

Normal skin temp is about 94F so if you touch anything cooler than that it will feel cold in comparison. Use the thermometer. I grow my babies in dirt plugs for a month before putting them in the tubs. Your system sound the same as mine. I'm going to make a couple of new tops for 6 - 3" pots and try to get into a continuous monthly harvest setup.

Don't add any water for temps yet. See what temp it goes to after a day. I stuck my air pump in a cooler with a couple of freezer blocks and cooled the air the pump put in the tub and the temps went down 3 or 4 degrees after half a day. 68 - 75F is good for rez temps but I'd try to stay below 75 if possible. Root rot is nasty shit or so I've seen in some of the posts here. I've never had it before, cool tubs and peroxide, but the bugs have got me a couple of times. lol

Normal skin temp is about 94F so if you touch anything cooler than that it will feel cold in comparison. Use the thermometer. I grow my babies in dirt plugs for a month before putting them in the tubs. Your system sound the same as mine. I'm going to make a couple of new tops for 6 - 3" pots and try to get into a continuous monthly harvest setup.

Don't add any water for temps yet. See what temp it goes to after a day. I stuck my air pump in a cooler with a couple of freezer blocks and cooled the air the pump put in the tub and the temps went down 3 or 4 degrees after half a day. 68 - 75F is good for rez temps but I'd try to stay below 75 if possible. Root rot is nasty shit or so I've seen in some of the posts here. I've never had it before, cool tubs and peroxide, but the bugs have got me a couple of times. lol

i actually just change the water in the res, i notice on the blueberry i had some browning going on at the tip, it looks like it just started so i change the res and didnt add any nutes just super thrive. currently my res temp is 72F,PPM's at 45(tap water), and my PH is at 6.0. cant get down to the 5's cause i have a liquid ph tester.

i actually just change the water in the res, i notice on the blueberry i had some browning going on at the tip, it looks like it just started so i change the res and didnt add any nutes just super thrive. currently my res temp is 72F,PPM's at 45(tap water), and my PH is at 6.0. cant get down to the 5's cause i have a liquid ph tester.

That doesn't sound too good. That's why I like to have a few sets of true leaves on the plants before they go into the tubs. Just the way I've always done it tho. I was just checking out Doctor Dread's grow journal. He's starting with little babies too but has roots growing into the sol'n already. Do yours have roots growing into the nutes yet? If not, suck some sol'n up and water from the top until they do.

Sending good thoughts your way.

That doesn't sound too good. That's why I like to have a few sets of true leaves on the plants before they go into the tubs. Just the way I've always done it tho. I was just checking out Doctor Dread's grow journal. He's starting with little babies too but has roots growing into the sol'n already. Do yours have roots growing into the nutes yet? If not, suck some sol'n up and water from the top until they do.

Sending good thoughts your way.

no roots at the bottom yet,but water is reaching the bottom of it keeping the rockwool wet. if you wait till it has roots on the bottom before you put in system, how do u water them if they are not in the system.

hey, i have a 5 gal bucket system also. i just started 3 white rhino plants. i also use fox farm. the trio. grow big, big bloom , and tiger bloom. i follow the feeding schedule and it has worked just fine for me. i just started giving the babies nutes last week. at 200 ppm. it was a lil too much and got slight nute burn one one plant but the rest were fine. now i also have another white widow in the bud stage right now and the ppm is 1330 which is right what the foxfarm schedule says it should be. if i were you id leave your ppm a lil low like where it is right now or even lower till the get some more leaf sets and roots hittin the deep water. if you want check out my grow it may help.
My First Grow in DWC!

Back
Top Bottom