Newbie Q - All males so far

palermoguy

Male112.jpg

I have germinated nine plants of various strains from seed (from Netherlands) to 5' tall. Plants doing well. One by one I am cloning (to practice and have plants should mother be female), then flowering mother. Of the five sexed so far, all five have been males. Really sux big time. What percentage of seed is typically male? These guys are male (unless I am way off - see pic), right? I will start sexing clones much earlier, but am getting a bit disheartened. All I need is a good female!!!

collect the pollen and save it so when you do find a female you can produce your own seeds and experiment with breeding your own strain

otherwise, just continue to pollenate your remaining seeds at least one of them has to be female....never heard of 90% male to 10% female ratio, it just isnt common

That's not just male, it's WAY past puberty, lol. It not only is COVERED in male flowers, it's also covered in pollen (there are several flowers that have already opened and dumped pollen everywhere).

"They say" a 50:50 ratio of F:M is common, but my experience was generally 70:30 or better. Just like with cattle and other herd animals, sexually determinate plants don't actually need one male for each female. Ask anyone who's ever grown a field of sin semilia only to later find out that they actually weren't because they'd either missed a male or someone else within a few hundred yards had and it pollinated their entire crop.

If you're getting that many males, either the seeds are... what's the male variant of the term "feminized?" Or else your germinating/growing practices and/or environment leave something to be desired. Where are the seeds from? Random bagseed or...? How are you germinating and growing and what are the conditions of the grow?

Back
Top Bottom