Nothing but male plants!

SovietGrow

At the beginning of the summer I planted 4 seeds. 2 I kept, 2 I gave away. Both my plants ended up being males. The ones I gave away, only one was female. Recently I planted 2 more seeds, and Im in the first week of sexing them. I think the bigger and better plant is turning out to be male, I can just make out a little sack but Im going to give it a few more days. The other plant shows no sex yet, but its a younger and smaller plant. I dont understand why everytime I go to sex a plant, it turn out male for me. I keep the plants outside, the summer sun grows them very well. When I sex them, I keep them in total darkness for 12 hours, and the remaineder outside. Is anything in my tequenique wrong that it stresses the plants to be male? The plants are about a foot high, all of them in real healthy condition, and none of them are becoming female. Does anyone have a suggestion or comment.

It is quite hot outside. The summer is warming up and its in the upper 80's mid 90's most of the time. At night, I keep the plants indoors in a dark closet, which is pretty humid I guess, since it holds the water heater and the air condition unit.

Actually I just checked the closet, its actually ventalated, dark, and cool. I think its a good place to keep them at night, but I still dont get why heat causes male plants. In nature, weed grows in hot climates and still buds, why would heat affect the plant to turn male?

Light leaks during your dark period will encourage male plants.

I don't understand why you're sexing them, when a wait of a few more weeks leaving it alone outside would tell you.
Moving that plant as you have almost guarenteed they'd turn male or herm., from stress.
In the future, if you absolutely have to know sex in late July instead of mid-Aug, take a cutting (clone), root and sex that.

rangerdanger said:
I don't understand why you're sexing them, when a wait of a few more weeks leaving it alone outside would tell you.
Moving that plant as you have almost guarenteed they'd turn male or herm., from stress.
In the future, if you absolutely have to know sex in late July instead of mid-Aug, take a cutting (clone), root and sex that.

I wanted to sex them early to make sure I dont have any unwanted males, and to get an early start on budding. I didnt think that it would be a big deal to move the plants, but I guess now I know better. I dont think there is that much stress involved, I just move it from indoor to out, and the indoor environment is a much better one. Anyway, I have one plant left that hasnt shown any sex. Should I just leave it out and let nature take its course?

SovietGrow said:
When I sex them, I keep them in total darkness for 12 hours, and the remaineder outside. Is anything in my tequenique wrong that it stresses the plants to be male? The plants are about a foot high, all of them in real healthy condition, and none of them are becoming female. Does anyone have a suggestion or comment.

dude you have to keep the plant on a set schedule. it sounds to me like you let them have approx. 12 hours of dark and carry them back outside for the daylight cycle. the problem with this is the plant is set on a schedule for light and if you break this schedule by even a little bit, it stresses the plant and in turn causes them to be male. you could do this inside with a hps and a timer (keeps the plant on a set schedule).

there are other things that promote males like heat and the soil's nitrogen content. the hotter your grow area is the more likely to be a male. i've also heard that nitrogen early in a plant's life promotes more females.

i agree with ranger and yes leave it outside and let nature take it's course.

:bongrip:

Okay, you guys are right. The way I did was just wake up around 9 am and put them outside, then put then inside at 9 pm. This was a very loose schedule, and maybe wasnt the best way. I cut the male plant today, and now I have the other plant which I transplanted to a bigger pot, and I will leave it to grow naturally until it buds. Other good news is that I have a very little seedling that I forgot about in a tomato pot, I transplanted it to a bigger pot, and I think by the time september comes, I will have a medium/small plant that can produce some bud. Thanks for your advice guys, wish me luck for them to turn female.:Rasta:

At the beginning of the summer I planted 4 seeds. 2 I kept, 2 I gave away. Both my plants ended up being males. The ones I gave away, only one was female. Recently I planted 2 more seeds, and Im in the first week of sexing them. I think the bigger and better plant is turning out to be male, I can just make out a little sack but Im going to give it a few more days. The other plant shows no sex yet, but its a younger and smaller plant. I dont understand why everytime I go to sex a plant, it turn out male for me. I keep the plants outside, the summer sun grows them very well. When I sex them, I keep them in total darkness for 12 hours, and the remaineder outside. Is anything in my tequenique wrong that it stresses the plants to be male? The plants are about a foot high, all of them in real healthy condition, and none of them are becoming female. Does anyone have a suggestion or comment.
Hilarious..the odds of that are astronomical..natural seed usually yields 50/50 odds..buy feminized seed ..this will not be a problem..

Back
Top Bottom