Newbie ventilation question

Escape if you have a look at my KingJohnC 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal you can see how I have my equipment hooked up.

KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal

Thanks KJ. I used a 400 W MH light with a 6 inch exhaust fan into a scrubber, the ventilation fan serves 2 fold to remove excess heat plus brings fresh air in the cabinet. My intakes are 2 2inch holes in the bottom with pvc. I have one blocked off and I'm holding a very comfy 76-77 degree temp. My seedlings seem to really like it.

Usualy a 1.5x size for the intake is recommended so it does not restrict the amount of heat and air extracted from a grow area. You may have to increase the amount of 2" intakes you have to deal with the summer heat.

Thanks Bud! Almost there...

Get a digital one for sure. If you get a push pin style timer they will wear out and lose time eventually. I just look at any home improvement store and find one that would cover the fewest outlets on a surge protector because they are usually bulky. I have a two outlet digital timer I love using for a fan and the other for the hid light. That way my cool tube runs when the light comes on. Or you could use it to synchronize fans or use it for air or water pumps the possibilities are endless!

Either way digital timers also usually come with a battery backup and time display screen for accuracy.[/QUOTE]

Hi escape! We're in the same boat, new at it! I look forward to hearing about your progress. I hope to get some seedlings started soon and I'll be keeping a journal..

Hello people, I built a nice grow cabinet and have 2 Purple Haze and 2 #1 Skunks growing for 1 week, they seem to be doing great. I am new at this and this is my first indoor cabinet grow, I will share as much as possible, maybe I can be some help........[/QUOTE]

Hi escape! We're in the same boat, new at it! I look forward to hearing about your progress. I hope to get some seedlings started soon and I'll be keeping a journal..

Hello people, I built a nice grow cabinet and have 2 Purple Haze and 2 #1 Skunks growing for 1 week, they seem to be doing great. I am new at this and this is my first indoor cabinet grow, I will share as much as possible, maybe I can be some help........
[/QUOTE]

Hey Jimbro, I have 4 plants growing now, they seem to be doing great except for 1. I have some brown spots on the 2 main (first) leaves. I used Happy Frog soil and I'm hoping it's just a nute shock to the seedling. Any thoughts? I'm going to post some pictures soon. Growing in a cabinet is super cool! I check in on my babies in the morning and evening. Can't wait to get to the flower stage!!

5 weeks of fine veg. I think I'm ready for the fun flower! Anything I should know before I switch the lights? Any info will be great. I read somewhere to keep the plants in darkness for 36 hours before the light switch, any thoughts? Thanks...........

If you are switching your lighting schedule to 12/12 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness you should also feed your plants flowering nutrients. The only plant I gave a period of darkness before switching to flowering turned out to be a male and I could have sworn I saw female pistils on it.

If you are switching your lighting schedule to 12/12 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness you should also feed your plants flowering nutrients. The only plant I gave a period of darkness before switching to flowering turned out to be a male and I could have sworn I saw female pistils on it.

I'm using advance nutes, micro, grow, bloom. Should I look into another type of bloom food? I don't want to mess this up!! Let me know and thanks kingJ..............

I'm doing a soil grow but I still use the Advance Nutes. There is no info about using the bloom for flowering process. Maybe when I mix the nutes add more of the bloom? What do you think?

I changed my light to HPS, set my timer 12/12 and we'll see how it goes. I'm pretty excited to see white pistols, I hope!! I have 2 Purple Haze and 2 #1 Skunks. During veg growing I was fertilizing about once a week. Should I increase for the flower stage?

Sorry to say, I recommend the aircooled lights myself - the open wing is going to dump 5,000 BTUs of heat into the room - each lamp.
Grow rooms with cheap A/C units have 2 problems - They dump heat themselves, and they don't adequately cover the entire room. Every time the AC kicks on, and dumps cold air in to the room , it disturbs the plants, as natural environment does not mean sudden changes in air temps through out the day and night.

The aircooled lamps would have solved half the problem by pulling out all that heat from the lights right away. 10,000 BTUs is a lot. I would have suggested 2 600 watt lights instead.

The attic location, in Texas.. sigh - it does not work well in Michigan - too hot, too cold, mold and fungus already in the wood. Too dry. I would have built a room inside of a room - in the attic, a grow room inside a 'cold lung' room. you are also further away from the electric panel - anything in the same circuit as your lights can cause the breaker to trip. It is best to build closer to the electric panel. I would have chose a basement or closet over an attic.

At best, your grow room may only be able to run during the cooler months, in texas. shut it down during the summer.

DN

I switched everything to flower stage on Saturday, question-How long should it be before I can distinguish between male and female buds?

You should notice either female pistils or male pollen sacks forming in the first 7-14 days.

Here is a male and female cannabis plant

Male_Female_Cannabis_Plants.jpg

Here is the female pre flower

The_Early_Female_Preflower.jpg

Here are some male pollen sacks on my Brainstorm Haze

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_01-17-2014_Male_Pollen_Sacks_-_001.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_01-17-2014_Male_Pollen_Sacks_-_002.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_01-17-2014_Male_Pollen_Sacks_-_003.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_01-17-2014_Male_Pollen_Sacks_-_004.JPG

I'm just a newbie as well and i haven't read pages 2 and 3 so I hope this hasn't been answered yet lol. I really like using My LED light though I've never personally tested the difference in heat difference between the two, I hear and have watched video showing that it's definitely a good difference. Plus you cant go wrong with a smaller amount of kWh being used. It seems a win win to me. I also live in Central Texas and understand the heat issues. You might give it a look

Ok, been a Few months, about to harvest. Kept a journal, my first Aeroflo grow, and I gotta tell you, it was pretty damn easy for this newbie! I started off with WAY too skinny seedlings, almost chunked them and started over, but thought i'd give em' a try. Well, the aeroflo transformed them into some amazing plants! We went with Bianca, feminsed, so we would have 20 ladies, though 1 was a male, no biggie. I screwed up on the nutes on the first feeding, and still, the aeroflo covered our mistake. It seems to be a very forgiving system. Once we got in a groove, it was just plain easy. You're pretty much god to these plants. I installed an RO water purifier under the sink, got a blue lab guardian to monitor ppm, water temp and pH. Water temp has stayed between 68 and 75, room temp the same. pH averaged 5.6 to 5.8, real easy to maintain with pH up. No pH down ever needed. PPM for each feeding started out around 2500 and within a week was down to 800.both fans, intake (sucking cool air from my bedroom) and exhaust, just ran all the time. Only used 1 light/1 aeroflo unit.We'll use 2 in the fall. About a 100 bucks added to the elec bill, not bad at all. I used jungle juice nutes, and the ladies loved it. I have a couple of mommas for clones, I'm gonna take the summer off, too hot, and then resume in the fall. Pretty pleased with my first go round. Hope to net a lb or 2.No issues with mold or fungus. We're pretty much hooked on the aeroflo...I'd post a couple of pics but haven't figured it out yet.

The exhaust should be your biggest fan if you have the more powerful fan on the input side you will hove positive interior pressure and may have smell leaks. Big fans on the way out to create negative pressure will help a lower power fan move air in.

Back
Top Bottom