NL - "No Pot for You!" - pot nazi

Pinch

Maastricht, NL - Pot tourists targeted in Dutch coffee shop crackdown.

Tourists hoping to buy a cannabis joint in Dutch coffee shops could be in for a rude awakening this year under a test plan to curb drug tourism.

Soft drugs are legally banned in the Netherlands but under its policy of "tolerance", people are allowed to have less than 5 grams of cannabis in their possession.

Government-regulated coffee shops can hold a stock of up to 500 grams.

"We are developing a system whereby people not registered in the Netherlands will not be allowed into coffee shops," Justice Ministry spokesman Ivo Hommes said.

A pilot project will start up in Maastricht, on the southern tip of the Netherlands.

"We want to do this to combat drugs tourism and should be able to start the project this summer," he said.

Maastricht, bordering Germany and Belgium, attracts the largest number of tourists in the Netherlands after Amsterdam.

They include an estimated 1.5 million drug tourists, the city's Mayor Gerd Leers said on Friday at a conference on tackling the cross-border soft drugs problem.

Some 400,000 cannabis smokers live in the Netherlands, where they can openly buy and smoke the drug, to the ire of neighbouring countries. The Dutch population is 16 million.

The centre-right government now wants to curb drugs tourism, in part due to pressure from its European partners.

The number of coffee shops has been cut to 754 nationwide in 2003 from 1,200 in 1997, according to the latest figures from the Netherlands Trimbos institute for addiction studies.

The Government also hopes to stub out the illegal growing of hemp plants and sale of soft drugs by criminal groups.

"As member of parliament in The Hague, I thought it was possible to get rid of cannabis by taking hard measures. But after having been mayor of Maastricht for three years I see that it does not work," Mr Leers said.

"It's a 'water bed effect' if you push down on one part the problems pop up somewhere else," he said.

He said the tough approach did not work, likening it to the prohibition of alcohol in the United States in the 1920s, which he said was a "a textbook example of a failed experiment in social engineering".

Maastricht, which has about a dozen authorised coffee shops, is discussing details of the pilot with the Justice Ministry, which could involve user registration and identification.

But coffee shops fear the rules will create more problems and chase buyers into the illegal circuit.

"If coffee shops have to carry out controls at the door, people who don't want to register will turn to the illegal circuit. We think nuisance will only increase," the chairman of the association of official coffee shops of Maastricht, Marc Josemans, told the conference.

"Legalise it," was his suggestion.

Source: ABC News Online
Copyright: © 2005 ABC
Website: https://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1373761.htm

SO how quick you think it will take for these guys to get voted out once the Netherlands begins losing mass amounts of money due to lack of tourism if they star targeting pot smokers?
-PM

Gee, what a good I idea, to destroy virtually all their tourism, what foreward thinnking.

Yeah...
I wouldn't worry about it, money makes the world go 'round... and when they realize that SO much money is coming into their economy from the drug tourism, they will just blow off the other countries pressure...

Maybe the registering process isnt too bad though?

What if they just want a list of all the stoners in the world?

I really want to go to the cannabis cup next year!

I agree with everyone that said they would be losing a lot of income from the tourism. But...I know if we all would work together weed would be legal. Don't let fear stop you from speaking to your mind! No one can take that away from you. :icon_cool www.norml.com :icon_cool Join norml to stop prohabition! If you really believe that weed should be legal check out www.norml.com!

Sweet420 said:
I agree with everyone that said they would be losing a lot of income from the tourism. But...I know if we all would work together weed would be legal. Don't let fear stop you from speaking to your mind! No one can take that away from you. :icon_cool www.norml.com :icon_cool Join norml to stop prohabition! If you really believe that weed should be legal check out www.norml.com!

Mr. Sweet, well put my friend.. one thing we, as pot smokers, are not is PROACTIVE. We must stay lobbying as one voice.. worldwide. I've been working wiht 420 to set up a new forum where there will be links for every nation in the world to cannabis related legislation and to a 420 member's legislative reps on both a national and regional (state or province) level.

You've heard me talk about whiners ad infinitum.. nows your chance, it's called being "PROACTIVE" --

420 United = Power = Change :allgood:

This is really dissapointing i was hoping to visit amsterdam this summer. but also keep in mind very little money is actually generated by the coffee shops comparded to other tourist industries

^ I don't know man, I don't think the windmils or the Ann Frank house generates close to as much cash as these cofeeshops.

Keep in mind though the common man in The Netherlands will probably approve of this because it will reduce traffic and basically give them back their country, On the other hand the non-common man like the legislator's will probably realize that they will loose a significant money in taxes.

Very interesting matter at hand here, We just have to wait and see but if this "test plan" goes thru, Then I guess I just have to move there and gain Dutch citizenship.

One thing we will never have to worry about is the Dutch government completely outlawing Cannabis, It is completely integrated in their society and many of the law makers, judges and so on ARE cannabis smokers who frequent coffeeshops.

The only way that they get money really is by tourism, and now they want to cut down on the weed. The governments gonna be pissed when they dont have any more money.

BBg101 said:
The only way that they get money really is by tourism, and now they want to cut down on the weed. The governments gonna be pissed when they dont have any more money.
Uhhh, I wouldnt say it's the ONLY way...
But yeah, tourism is very important to their economy... actually, wtf do I know?
Time to look it up...

Back
Top Bottom