Non cannabis question

Canachris

Every day on my walk I go past this yard, I think this neighbor is growing rice in 5 gal buckets... I know this is not topic related but I also know that there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on here and i got's to know... can you grow Rice in 5 gal buckets?? there is no drainage holes in the buckets .

20220620_085603.jpg

can you grow Rice in 5 gal buckets??
Apparently it can be done and is a popular method. Your question got my curiosity going so I plugged it in, almost word for work, in a google search box. The results included link after link on how to do it, about selecting seed, to prepping the seed, to how to clean and set up the buckets and there were more links but I stopped looking.:)

I know this is not topic related
But it does expose new gardeners to new topics or maybe leads them to thinking about something they are doing with their Cannabis garden.

There is a sub-forum or child-forum on non-Marijuana growing in case you, or anyone else, are interested. Take a look there if curious about some of the hot pepper gardens some of the growers in the group have set up in the last couple of years.

Gotta find the main topic of "Off Topic Forums" (near the bottom of the list if I click on the heading " Forums") and drill down from there.

Why grow rice? Probably the cheapest food in the world lol
Why grow our own Marijuana if it is legal where we live?;):)

I had thought about the amounts coming out of the buckets myself but several things did come to mind. They might be growing it for the same reasons some of us grow 'heirloom' tomatoes. Or why we choose seeds from custom breeders because we want a unique taste, either in tomatoes or weed. Or maybe a new seed stock meant to be grown in ponds or containers and they are testing it. Maybe a religious or cultural connection and they need a small amount for a family gathering that is important to them? Or maybe they are going to a performance or movie and need some "Rocky Horror" rice to throw during the proper scene on the screen or stage?

@Canachris, you could ask them about it if you see them outside on one of your walks.

Why grow our own Marijuana if it is legal where we live?;):)

I had thought about the amounts coming out of the buckets myself but several things did come to mind. They might be growing it for the same reasons some of us grow 'heirloom' tomatoes. Or why we choose seeds from custom breeders because we want a unique taste, either in tomatoes or weed. Or maybe a new seed stock meant to be grown in ponds or containers and they are testing it. Maybe a religious or cultural connection and they need a small amount for a family gathering that is important to them? Or maybe they are going to a performance or movie and need some "Rocky Horror" rice to throw during the proper scene on the screen or stage?

@Canachris, you could ask them about it if you see them outside on one of your walks.
I hear what your saying SW, I guess it's no different than when back in the 80's when I had a dozen strawberry plants in the backyard trying to recreat the experience I had as a kid picking strawberries on my grandparents farm. Ya know I never see anyone around the house... I've been wanting to ask them for over a year now

I was thinking that if someone was around you might have already talked to them. Don't know when you go on your walk-abouts but maybe they are the kind of gardeners who work on their plants in the early morning around dawn or when they get home from work.
Eventually I'll run in to someone. my walk times vary depending on weather conditions and how the feet feel.

Back
Top Bottom