Officials Vote to Keep Marijuana Measure Off Detroit Ballot

MedicalNeed

Once again, government officials are trying to suppress the will of voters when it comes to marijuana issues. The Detroit Free Press reports today that the Detroit Election Commission has voted 3-0 to reject a November ballot initiative that would have given city voters a chance to decide whether to allow adults to legally possess small amounts of marijuana.

Members of the commission said they were following a recommendation by the city's Law Department, which said the proposal was pre-empted by state law forbidding possession of the drug. Detroit attorney Matt Abel, a petition organizer, said: "This would have sent a message to the police that they should focus on more serious crime." Abel said he and others behind the proposal were considering filing an appeal in Wayne County Circuit Court.

In June, the Coalition for a Safer Detroit turned in more than 6,000 signatures to place the marijuana measure on the ballot.

Stay tuned for updates about the ongoing effort to ensure that Detroit voters have their say on November 2.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source: MPP Homepage
Author: Mike Meno
Copyright: 2010 Marijuana Policy Project.
Website:Officials Vote to Keep Marijuana Measure Off Detroit Ballot – MPP Blog

I don't understand how 3 people's votes can stop 6000 people's signatures,
it don't seem like this could be legal, but I guess the better option would have been to go with a state wide vote, if they could pull 6000 signatures from the city of Detroit alone I have to wonder how many signatures they could have got state wide, I have emailed the election committee asking them how they could make this decision based on law enforcement's opinion and how they can turn this down without more signatures opposed to the vote, I likely wont hear back from them, but it certainly don't hurt to let them know that people are questioning there decision. I encourage anyone from the state of Michigan to at the very least let them know they are going against the will of the people, please.

That is EXACTLY why I posted this, In hopes that 6,000 will show up to make their Detroit Tax Paying Views and Beliefs Heard and use their votes to communicate their ideas and beliefs are being DENIED!

Also there was another article I read elsewhere, that stated an Appeal was being considered.

Just goes to show you we have to elect the right people, not these idiots with there own views that differ from the publics wants. That gov. is not for the people.

Back
Top Bottom