Ohioans For Medical Marijuana Say Their Initiative Should Be On The Ballot

Robert Celt

Marijuana is about the healing, not the high.

That was the take-away Tuesday from a news conference hosted by Ohioans for Medical Marijuana, a political action group that wants to put an initiative on the November ballot for a comprehensive medical marijuana program.

Ohioans for Medical Marijuana and its supporters are critical of legislation to legalize medical marijuana. The bill would create a 9-member "Medical Marijuana Control Commission"– all unelected political appointees, only one of whom is required to be a physician and only one who would have to support medical marijuana -- to regulate how marijuana would be dispensed and used, a strategy that patients find insufferable.

Ohioans for Medical Marijuana are now in the process of collecting the necessary signatures to put the initiative on the ballot.

"We have tens of thousands of signatures so far," said a spokesman. "And we absolutely have doctors standing with us.

The group presented four people to argue for the amendment.

Amanda Candow: "I'm a daily user and a criminal."

Candow was diagnosed was multiple sclerosis in 2010. It caused permanent damage to her spine and affected her ability to walk.

"I wasn't in good health," she said.

Or good spirits.

A friend offered Candow a joint. "I tried it and I experienced immediate relief in how my legs felt — not as tight or stiff."

Now she said she smokes daily. "I've had people steal money from me, sell me moldy marijuana."

The ballot initiative offers her the opportunity to purchase weed from licensed retail outlets, or grow her own with the approval of a physician.

It would also make her a law-abiding citizen again.

Shane O'Neil: "I wasn't a dad."

As it would Shane O'Neil, a Navy vet, who hurt his lower back in the service and suffers from post-traumatic-stress-syndrome.

The Veterans Administration gave him opioids for the pain, and Xanax for the PTSD, O'Neil said.

He said he became addicted. "I was also an alcoholic."

He isolated himself. "I hid in the basement, or my room. I was hospitalized twice for trying to kill myself."

The married father of four realized he had lost control of his life. He said the VA was not help. "Their answer was more pills."

And then a friend suggested he smoke some pot.

The ganja helped O'Neil stop drinking, get off the pharmaceuticals. "It was hard," he said. "But the cannabis eased the withdrawal."

He joined the "Weed for Warriors" project. Since 2014 the national nonprofit has been fighting for the rights of veterans to use medicinal marijuana as an alternative to addictive psychiatric drugs.

"I smoke it. I use edibles. I use cannabis oils," O'Neil said. "It calms. It gives me my life back. I talk. I'm emotional. I laugh a lot more than I used to."

Even better, the stay-at-home dad said he now goes on school field trips with his kids.

"I wasn't a dad on those pills," he said. "I was a zombie."

Joselyn Weigel: Today was a bad day

Carrieann Weigel's 10-year-old daughter, Joselyn, suffers from pachygyria, a congenital disease that leads to developmental delays and severe seizures.

Tuesday was a bad day, Weigel said. Joselyn suffered 20 seizures before 10 a.m.

But that didn't prevent them both from attending the press conference: Joselyn in a wheelchair — she can't walk or talk — and Weigel right beside her behind the podium.

"I am her mother. I am her father. I am her advocate. I am her voice," Weigel said.

She supports the initiative because studies show cannabis oils help decrease seizures.

Lillie Hudson: "I'm first-hand on how it works."

Hudson also suffers from multiple sclerosis. She is the single mother of five children. And she said she is not taking any medications to ease the pain.

"I go to Colorado and smoke once in a blue moon," she said.

And that herbal treatment gives her the relief to return home and carry on.

Clones157.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ohioans For Medical Marijuana Say Their Initiative Should Be On The Ballot
Author: Christopher Evans
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom