One month evaluation of first grow

incipio

Hi everyone, I recently passed the one month mark on my first grow and was wondering if I could get an evaluation on what I'm doing wrong and some diagnosis for some mystery symptoms.It is my first grow, and I'm absolutely having the time of my life with it, I never thought there could be such a fun hobby. But for now my plants need some attention.

7 plants total. My concern is slow growth and health of the plants.
first 2 weeks was under window sunlight and nighttime light florescent. Plants seemed to do well in small starter pots during this time and had healthy, fast growth.
The last 3 weeks have been under 400w hps 24/0 and growth has been going extremely slow. Only one plant is over 6 inches, and only 3 have made it to the 5th node(counting starter leaves) with no branching whatsoever
Looking at other one month pictures, i should be further along with this. After I put them under the HPS everything went south. They are looking pretty sad.

My growing conditions haven't been optimal, but I still have my bases covered. They were in a blend of top and potting soil for the first 4 weeks. I'm pretty sure I only had one time when I accidentally over-watered last week. Ventilation is not active but they still get daily fresh air. So far, no added nutes in the soil. Temperatures have been on the warm side(got to 85 in the afternoon a couple days) and I have noticed some signs of heat stress. I have adjusted my A/C for when I'm gone and solved this issue for now. I didn't get them into big pots until after 4 weeks unfortunately.

I think the watering, the small pots, the temperature and possible nute problem may have caused the slow growth. Now that I have them in big pots with fresh, healthy soil from the yard, have solved my temp issues, and don't see any water problems do you guys think my babies will start taking off and looking healthy?

As far as my other symptom diagnosis I know the leaf curling is from heat. Any idea what could be causing the splotchy yellow look of the leaves, and the small dead spots on the center of the leaves in the least healthy looking plant? Are those other side effects of temperature or overwatering, or some other nute deficiency?
See pictures in the following post

Thanks for helping me diagnose my current issues, and I thoroughly appreciate any input you have on the future of my grow and whatever advice you may have. Keep em growing :thumb:

Pictures:

My two sleestack x skunk. These are my tallest plants, the one on the left is the most sick out of all of them.
https://i.imgur.com/Y6hwgbp.jpg

Here you can see the dead spots, discoloration, and heat damage
Worst damage:

Here's an example of yellow discoloration off the larger plant. This affects all but one of my plants... Does it have anything to do with heat or is it all nute problems?

Here's my auto jack and one leda una I haven't transplanted yet. The jack has some discoloration but no heat damage, and the leda una on the left is my only really healthy plant. It's got good color, all the leaves are healthy, and for whatever reason resisted the head damage better than the others.

And my last 3 leda unas. These are about a week younger than the others. My flash came on in this picture but they still have the yellow discoloration problem.

All these plants except the 3 ledas are going on 5 weeks, and I just don't think they are where they should be. Any ideas?

I haven't watered them in several days, they are starting to do better after the transplant as the roots settle in. Growth is still very slow.

I've got them about 2 ft from the end of the hps lamp because of heat issues. Temps are a bit warm in the afternoon, 75-80, cooler (70-75) in the mornings, evenings and night. Because of my grow room's distance from the AC thermostat, it is difficult to effectively control afternoon temps without freezing the entire rest of the place.
I am probably going to ditch the HPS in favor of cfl's. I know its a bit of a downgrade but they are better suited for my needs.
I'm also thinking of moving these plants outside in a few weeks and letting them grow safely outdoors, and starting a second hydro grow now that I'm a little more experienced and learning that hydro is understandably easier for newbies. That way I can have a nice outdoor harvest later in the year, and something a bit easier to manage indoors. I thinks that's the best chance my current batch has of ever fully recovering anyway and being nice producers, unfortunately :(

I have found a new respect for successful growers. I'm having a ton of fun, but underestimated just how many things could go wrong!
There's so many things you can do wrong that will mess up your poor plants. Overall its a very fun hobby and even if this grow goes to shit and all my plants keel over I'm going to give it another shot now that I am more informed and experienced, and can invest a bit more in my grow setup.

Back
Top Bottom