OR: Pot Lingers In The Air For Albany City Council

Katelyn Baker

The Albany City Council on Monday was not able to bring to a close the issue of how to regulate legal recreational marijuana. In fact, a general malaise surrounds the issue among most council members. But instead of making a decision, the council decided to commute the issue to the Wednesday council meeting.

Still, the council made plans Monday to address a non-pot issue in the foreseeable future: Mayor Sharon Konopa asked the council to direct staff to research ways to crack down on tow truck companies that allegedly tow cars for the slightest - and sometimes false - infractions, charging them exorbitant fines.

But while that issue, according to Konopa, will not likely be addressed until January, the pot regulation issue will hang on like a residue at the bottom of a bowl.

"After a year or two years, my brain is just flat numb," remarked Councilor Floyd Collins, who will retire from the council in January.

"I don't know the answer, but I know my frustration level is high. And thank God I only have one more meeting left."

Collins also said he's frustrated because "people become emotional and not logical" when they discuss the issue.

"I have my own personal preferences, but I'm not sure my preferences are what's best for the community."

Concerning whether or not the council would vote to adopt their original ordinance, which among other things would require recreational pot shops to operate no less than 300 feet from residential areas or schools, Councilor Rich Kellum argued that the proposed rules, which are more restrictive than the recommended state rules, would serve to hold marijuana businesses to the same standards as others.

"If marijuana shops want to be considered legitimate businesses, then they should be treated the same as any other business," he said. His comment elicited excited nods of approval from recreational pot advocates in the gallery.

Kopczynski noted the Nov 8 vote was 64 to 34 percent in favor of overturning the ban on recreational pot. Kellum, visibly agitated, said Kopczynski's assertion that a vast majority of voters approve of recreational pot sales is "completely irrelevant."

Collins expressed his disapproval for Olsen's deliberate absence, saying it did a disservice to the people of the city. Konopa agreed.

Councilor Bessie Johnson, speaking by phone from vacation, also agreed, and said she would like to see the issue put behind the council.

"This process has gone on too long," she said. "And councilors staying home is just not right.

"I think we should go with the state regulations, and if we have to tweak them as time goes on, then so be it," she added.

Finally, Konopa recommended the council carry the issue over to the Wednesday night meeting, and Coburn suggested the council go back to the original language of the the state ordinance.

The council will again debate the pot issue at the Dec. 7 meeting.

albany.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Pot Lingers In The Air For Albany City Council
Author: Neil Zawicki
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom