Oregon: City Council Keeps Way Clear For Recreational Marijuana Sales

Jacob Redmond

Sale of marijuana for recreational purposes can go ahead in Ashland starting Oct. 1, since the Ashland City Council made no move at its meeting Tuesday to block such sales.

Use of recreational marijuana became legal July 1 after Measure 91 passed in November 2014 – but legal sales were on hold pending formulation of regulations by the Oregon Liquor Control Commission. That's now expected to take until late 2016. But on July 2, the state legislature passed legislation allowing sales by medical marijuana dispensaries starting Oct. 1. Gov. Kate Brown is expected to sign the bill.

The bill allows cities and counties to prohibit such sales by adopting an ordinance doing so prior to Oct. 1. Ashland councilors showed no interest in doing so – possibly because, as city Administrator Dave Kanner pointed out, the city's precincts voted an overwhelming 78-22 percent in favor of Measure 91.

"I don't think your constituents want you to do anything to make it more difficult to purchase recreational marijuana," Kanner said to the council, while adding that, if the council does, "you have a tight window in which to act."

"I think allowing dispensaries to sell recreational marijuana would be a positive way to introduce it," said Councilor Stefani Seffinger. "Those people (at the dispensaries) have a lot of knowledge about how to use it medically.

Some people want to use it medically but don't want to be stigmatized by going through getting a (Oregon Medical Marijuana Program) card."

"We're going to become a destination," predicted Councilor Carol Voisin. "We're right across the border from California."

Such sales, including any from out-of-state customers, would eventually generate sales tax proceeds.

Municipalities can, when the rules for sales for recreational use are eventually sorted out by OLCC, add their own 3 percent tax on top of the state's 17 percent. The local sales tax would have to be put before and approved by voters in the November 2016 election.

For now, there would be no sales tax on sales for recreational use by medical marijuana dispensaries.

"We will want to talk about putting a sales tax on the ballot at the earliest possible moment," said Councilor Pam Marsh. "I look forward to discussing how to spend the money that's going to be rolling in here."

Ashland currently has three medical marijuana dispensaries: Breeze Botanicals on Siskiyou Boulevard, House of Leaves on North Main Street and Siskiyou Medical Supply on Ashland Street.

"Breeze Botanicals (is) looking forward to serving all adults in the community who are interested in exploring organically grown medicinal herbs from the Rogue Valley," Breeze founder and CEO Brie Malarkey wrote in an email. "This includes cannabis as soon as the city and state allow. ... Measure 91 allows all adults to make a decision about their own body. I call this freedom of choice."

"We're thinking about it (recreational marijuana sales)," said Mike, owner of House of Leaves, who asked his last name not be used. "We have not heard all the rules and regulations, and need to."

A message left for Siskiyou Medical Supply was not returned Wednesday afternoon.

The Ashland Planning Commission is currently reviewing possible rules governing cultivation of marijuana plants.
Comparing marijuana to beer, Councilor Greg Lemhouse said Tuesday, "Home brew doesn't have the noxious odors that home grown does. I look forward to coming back to discuss the cultivation issue."

14508.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ashland City Council keeps way clear for recreational marijuana sales - News - DailyTidings.com - Ashland, OR
Author: Bert Etling
Photo Credit: Ian C. Bates/The New York Times

Back
Top Bottom