Outdoor Beginner Grower Tips

jbeefy19

420 Member
Hello everyone. As seen in the title i'm a beginner grower living in Canada who planted his first seed this year. I've been prepping this since January so I have lots of personal handwritten notes to go off of but I've never been the best at learning with just notes. So my hope with this is that I can get a little help for more experienced growers who know what their doing. I'll keep updating or posting every time I have a question or need help or clarification.

This year is all about learning and taking it all in. I'm not expecting the best results however it would be a bonus. Heres what i've done so far:
-Germinate
-Transfer into solo cup with soil
-Transfer into 1 gallon pot with soil
I'll post pictures on where the plant is at right now.

Questions:

The plant isn't in direct sunlight as of now, I have it in an area with filtered sunlight. When should I move the plant into direct sunlight?

When it rains what should I do with the plant? Keep it where it is or move it to a dry place?

Is fertilizer necessary? if so when should I use it and how often?

Is it bad that I started this late in the year? (June 25th)

Thanks everyone the help is very appreciated. I'll be back with more questions and updates

Attachments

• Plant.jpg
    Plant.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Plant2.jpg
    Plant2.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 44
Hello everyone. As seen in the title i'm a beginner grower living in Canada who planted his first seed this year. I've been prepping this since January so I have lots of personal handwritten notes to go off of but I've never been the best at learning with just notes. So my hope with this is that I can get a little help for more experienced growers who know what their doing. I'll keep updating or posting every time I have a question or need help or clarification.

This year is all about learning and taking it all in. I'm not expecting the best results however it would be a bonus. Heres what i've done so far:
-Germinate
-Transfer into solo cup with soil
-Transfer into 1 gallon pot with soil
I'll post pictures on where the plant is at right now.

Questions:

The plant isn't in direct sunlight as of now, I have it in an area with filtered sunlight. When should I move the plant into direct sunlight?

When it rains what should I do with the plant? Keep it where it is or move it to a dry place?

Is fertilizer necessary? if so when should I use it and how often?

Is it bad that I started this late in the year? (June 25th)

Thanks everyone the help is very appreciated. I'll be back with more questions and updates

OK, in general....

1) The more light the better, so I'd get it into direct sun ASAP HOWEVER, she may not be acclimated to the direct sun, so you need to put her in direct sun for maybe an hour and check her every hour or so the first day to make sure she's not showing any signs of wilting. If so, bring back into shade. Slowly increase the number of hours she can spend without wilting to acclimate her, if needed.

2) Rain isn't usually a problem unless is heavy extended rains, as long as your pot & soil drain well. In heavy or extended rains, I'd move her to a dry location so the roots don't become anaerobic.

3) The plant can get nutrients from the soil, assuming you have a good soil mix. That being said, you should either be doing things to help build and keep the microbes happy (i.e. compost teas, etc.) since they break down the nutrients in the soil to a form that the plants can use; or be using nutrients. I would recommend using nutrients since, eventually, the plant will exhaust the nutrients in the soil and you will need to replenish them, either with fresh soil, or nutes.

4) As for timing, it really depends on your location and how many hours of light you're getting each day over the next several months. She won't go into flower until the light schedule drops to about 12 hours per day (assuming she's not an auto!). We just had the summer solstice, so days are getting shorter now. The risks are that she flowers earlier than you wanted and, without enough veg time, you get small plants and a small harvest; OR, by the time she flowers, your weather changes to a point where she can't finish healthy (i.e. too cold temps, extended moisture causing mold & budrot, etc.). Depending on where you are in Canada, you can check the sunlight hours online and figure out about when she should start flowering.

I hope that helps! :goodluck:

:Namaste:

K

OK, in general....

1) The more light the better, so I'd get it into direct sun ASAP HOWEVER, she may not be acclimated to the direct sun, so you need to put her in direct sun for maybe an hour and check her every hour or so the first day to make sure she's not showing any signs of wilting. If so, bring back into shade. Slowly increase the number of hours she can spend without wilting to acclimate her, if needed.

2) Rain isn't usually a problem unless is heavy extended rains, as long as your pot & soil drain well. In heavy or extended rains, I'd move her to a dry location so the roots don't become anaerobic.

3) The plant can get nutrients from the soil, assuming you have a good soil mix. That being said, you should either be doing things to help build and keep the microbes happy (i.e. compost teas, etc.) since they break down the nutrients in the soil to a form that the plants can use; or be using nutrients. I would recommend using nutrients since, eventually, the plant will exhaust the nutrients in the soil and you will need to replenish them, either with fresh soil, or nutes.

4) As for timing, it really depends on your location and how many hours of light you're getting each day over the next several months. She won't go into flower until the light schedule drops to about 12 hours per day (assuming she's not an auto!). We just had the summer solstice, so days are getting shorter now. The risks are that she flowers earlier than you wanted and, without enough veg time, you get small plants and a small harvest; OR, by the time she flowers, your weather changes to a point where she can't finish healthy (i.e. too cold temps, extended moisture causing mold & budrot, etc.). Depending on where you are in Canada, you can check the sunlight hours online and figure out about when she should start flowering.

I hope that helps! :goodluck:

:Namaste:

K

Man thank you! I'll get her into direct sun tomorrow morning.

is there a way of knowing when all nutrients have been used up? Like does the soil change in colour or anything like that?

Man thank you! I'll get her into direct sun tomorrow morning.

is there a way of knowing when all nutrients have been used up? Like does the soil change in colour or anything like that?

Not really...the plants just start showing deficiencies.

Back
Top Bottom