Over watering, big problem with first timers

harryhampster3rd

Do not over water, when i mean overwater.

I mean, do not drown the seed in the coco coir pod.
I have read, you cannot overwater in coco. WRONG.

If you are not sure how much water.
Seedlings require little water, not constant flooding water over
the seedling and wonder why it will damp off and die.

Overwatering causes massive yellowing, sick drowning plants.
Easy to do.

That is why deep water culture is popular.
The water has air pumped through it, to provide oxygen for
the roots VERY IMPORTANT.

I've not had any problems watering once a day with 20% run off during the seedling stage. I use 70% coco coir (Canna Coco Bricks) to 30% perlite. Nutrients are General Hydroponics' Flora Trio. Watering is done when the lights first come on. My latest perlite buy was from a garden center in a 4 cu ft (113l) bag. It was less than 1/2 the price of the smaller bags, at $23.25 USD.

Stay away from Coco Earth products. They are poorly ground, and poorly washed.

Never had a problem watering seedlings in coco ever.
And with nutrients from first true leaves.
Granted they are in solo cups, but I flooded them plenty
Thing is that coco drains like a dream and only holds enough to stay moist
oxygen levels in freshly watered coco are at 30 % saturation
it's not overwatering that's killing your plants

Coco drains ok, but holds a lot of water.
99 percent of problems people have is
OVER watering.
I see a lot of problems on these forums are related to
the medium used, PH, Heat and overwatering.

Keep it simple, do not get all hung up on terpenes and
molasses and other shit.
I would grow in a soilless mix.
NO manure in the soil, NO hotspots.

Keep plenty of light on flowering girls, I keep two
T5,s for the lower buds and HPS for the top, air cooled hood.

Settle down mate, I am just saying what has been a problem for me for a long time.
Coco coir growing and yes you can definitely over water coco coir.
If you watered plants like the so called experts in coco coir will tell you.
You do not need to leech 20-30 percent run off. ITS OVERWATERING MATE.

flooding a pot with water to allow run off is done for flushing out salts,
if your a big nutes person and you over do your nutes.
Overwatering and over feeding, too biggest mistakes.

I just see a lot of pics of problem plants.
And overwatering and overfeeding seem to be
killing them with kindness.

You are better to give a plant less water, than flooding it everyday
with 20-30 percent run off. ITS NOT DWC.

coco coir is not dwc or hydro.

@Stunned harryhampster3rd joined less than two days ago, and appears to be trying for credibility by flooding the forum with posts. Thirty three posts in less than two days for a new member? Something's wrong with this picture ;)

In my experience if you grow in properly prepared soil with good sun, at least in San Diego, you cannot overwater-water to the outside to promote root growth. Water, nutes, water, nutes is the road to growing trees.

Grow your buds next time with "need to water" focus.
So in other words you drown your roots in coco coir
and keep the lights powered up to drag the plant thru it.

Next grow, water, when the coco coir is dry at top and not saturated at the bottom of the pot.
Use the weight method at start, when plants gets bigger, usually overwatering will not kill the adult plant,
but will reduce potency, taste and you will probably over fertilise

Next grow, water, when the coco coir is dry at top and not saturated at the bottom of the pot.
Use the weight method at start, when plants gets bigger, usually overwatering will not kill the adult plant,
but will reduce potency, taste and you will probably over fertilise, and cook the buds in fert.

MORE IS BETTER does not apply to life in general, so why
would you water every day in coco coir, I do not know why you want the roots in water continuously,
ITS NOT HYDRO
and if you think it is, if you think hydro is like coco coir.
Why not use hydro then? Why not just say fuck the coco and use hydro, its 20 percent quicker and its foolproof.
THC levels published at seedbanks are the top level they could get in hydro.

The flowering times are hydro times. 6-8 weeks for a indica is a hydro grow, if you do not believe me ask a commercial
professional well educated grower.
That is what they tell me. He said first timers go for a commercial strain, like incred bulk, vast, and money maker,

anyway, if you think coco coir needs to be saturated all the time with water, good luck with the 75 percent potential yields.
Keep it simple and think of MOTHER NATURE does she rain all day, all the time,?

but will reduce potency, taste and you will probably over fertilise

If you want soil like growth in coco, do this. If you want hydro like growth in coco, feed every day. If you know what you're doing you wont over-feed. I managed to not kill this Blue Dream as a baby seedling, feeding her every day at that stage thru the end of 10 weeks flowering. So you know, coir holds 30% oxygen when saturated so the roots need for it is more than met. I believe letting it dry for more than 24 hours can be damaging to the more fragile parts of the root system, as well as depriving them of oxygen.

I like the weight method being new to growing, seems simple. I just set a extra cloth pot for comparison to feel the weight when it is dry .

I water the plants in coco/perlite twice a day from the late vegetative stage until harvest. I water until I get runoff each time. I have absolutely no problems with this strategy.

I grow in 5 gallon (might be actually 6) fabric with Ocean Forest (straight from the bag w/no additions) sitting on wire racks. Going by my finger, plant appearance, and initially weight until they get through the screen; I water every few days and put enough water through them for a nice amount of run-off.
I may be wrong but I rather have run-off instead of a buildup of nutrient salts even though I flush per Fox Farm's feeding schedule.

@Stunned harryhampster3rd joined less than two days ago, and appears to be trying for credibility by flooding the forum with posts. Thirty three posts in less than two days for a new member? Something's wrong with this picture ;)
Your perceived picture may be right or may be wrong, but unless one's State has legalized I suggest no one ever give identifying details and use a VPN.

Back
Top Bottom