Hamboe555,

pH testing rain water?? You need to do a little research on exactly what pH is and how it would relate to rain water. That's similar to testing pH of distilled water.

I think you're over thinking things.

Problem with growing in (cow) manure based compost are many. This is a medium you need to know how long the composting process has gone - is the manure for use on vegetable gardens... lots of questions on that stuff. I don't use it. Too many variables. Likely you issue is not pH but your manure and soil mix.

For example on the manure. Were the cows grass fed or feed lot fed? Gonna be a huge difference in quality of the manure for gardening. It's going to be high phosphate and high Nitrogen regardless. Both of those a little goes a long way. There are better sources for each than manure from cattle.

Gardening outdoors in a hole - you don't need to pH anything. Are there other plants growing say withing 100yards of your cannabis plants? If so are they green and alive? They likely are so the soil is what it is and you can't change the pH easily if at all. The only thing you can do is temporarily change the soil pH. You don't have a way to test it properly anyway so focus on your humus that you are using for your plantings.

Suggest a lot more peat and a lot more EWC and/or Vermi-compost. You need a calcium source like fish bone meal, crab/crustacean meal, gypsum and oyster shell flour. All of these are sold at your local feed store (they likely feed them to the animals that you got the manure from).

IF you're growing outdoors do you have a compost pile (not manure or with green manure)?

Outdoor gardening is a lot more forgiving than in a container. It should be easier outside in the ground. Manure was likely your issue - too much of a good thing.
My rain water is sometimes at. pH of 8.5 that’s why I test it.... it fluctuates like crazy. before you ask... I calibrate/ check it before every use.

I would not even adjust to 6.3... just let it go. pH is not important in an organic grow. I do supplement with aloe juice that I bought in a gallon jug from walmart and it noticeably strengthens the plants. I have a new favorite product that would be very helpful to you to recharge that soil and get things going right again... RealGrower's Recharge. $8 for this 3 part trial pack. Good stuff. AACT is good too... but Recharge is now in my tool kit too.

Thanks Em. I will look into that.
This is what I am facing right now to give you an idea..... I watered around the root ball after transplant yesterday approx 8 cups of water. But it rained for almost 6 hours last night.

Looking horrible today and it’s sunny and 29 degrees Celsius plus humidity right now
I would not even adjust to 6.3... just let it go. pH is not important in an organic grow. I do supplement with aloe juice that I bought in a gallon jug from walmart and it noticeably strengthens the plants. I have a new favorite product that would be very helpful to you to recharge that soil and get things going right again... RealGrower's Recharge. $8 for this 3 part trial pack. Good stuff. AACT is good too... but Recharge is now in my tool kit too.

This is what I am facing right now to give you an idea..... I watered around the root ball after transplant yesterday approx 8 cups of water. But it rained for almost 6 hours last night.

Looking horrible today and it’s sunny and 29 degrees Celsius plus humidity right now
0FF38627-A3A6-48FF-ACC1-579C526EFBA1.jpeg
8CC8BB65-8F26-486D-BEDD-D277F0704B06.jpeg
0517E04A-BD3D-47DE-BCE9-70030CE1A0D9.jpeg
7FE90026-FDB1-4FC3-A62F-688364FFD3DB.jpeg

My rain water is sometimes at. pH of 8.5 that’s why I test it.... it fluctuates like crazy. before you ask... I calibrate/ check it before every use.

Something very odd is in your rainwater then because normal rain has a pH of about 5.6 because it reacts with carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and forms carbonic acid before it becomes rain.

Something very odd is in your rainwater then because normal rain has a pH of about 5.6 because it reacts with carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and forms carbonic acid before it becomes rain.
Very true..... I am not sure if it’s minerals, salts from the shingles on our roof and eaves-droughts..... we have a wire mesh sreen on top to catch most debris... as as at the spouts. but some sand can get In there. Haven’t had time to inspect it and clean it.

I just checked up on them and they are getting worse by the hour....:rolleyes:

Actually I don’t think they are going to make it.... they are getting worse by the hour it seems. I was going to order some on Amazon. But it won’t arrive until next Wednesday. Maybe even later with 4th of July tomorrow. So...... :rip: I guess

Why I mentioned to look up what pH testing actually is.

It's not required for rain water, take a leap of faith and trust me on this one. Please.

the problem becomes what you "add" to the rain water to change the pH.

Try this as an experiment.

Tap water
rain water

put in buckets with an air stone
measure pH
turn on air - wait 6-12hrs
measure pH

Compare your readings.

first measure to last measure.

Close attention to last reading should be about right.

I would do several tests with tap water before I use it on my plants.

True - specially rain water. None of the trees are dead right? Should be good to go no testing required.

The pH test requires there to be actual particles of something in the water. Rain water and distilled water have very little particles (they have some).

Once distilled water absorbs Co2 over time it's pH is 5.8 ish. Now thats pure water, why could it mess with my plants health and nutrient uptake. It doesn't.

pH = potential of hydrogen

Water needs to absorb Co2 before the pH test to be accurate. That takes time or bubbles.

quoted from the interwebs:

"Assuming that the pH measurement is correct the value is unusually high and indicates that the rainwater is not yet in equilibrium with the atmosphere. The pH will most likely decrease with time as the water absorbs CO2. "

Thanks again for recommending recharge. Ended up buying a pound of it shortly after you recommend it. I stopped f* cking around with the pH. Later found it’s actually Scotty’s product from the Dude Grow Show on YouTube

The plants are doing great now. Better than they were. This year won’t be a total waste of time. I’ll post pics up this week I think. I have 2 more weeks left on one may be two of the White Widows. The lack of sun is a challenge. But I’m checking the trichomes daily. The nights have been getting pretty cool. But we’ve had a hot sunny week for the most part.

And about 3 to 4 weeks left on the F*cking Incredible and the Master Kush.

2 more weeks to go on these two
47A43941-598F-457C-BA5E-5DCAE60D80DF.jpeg
03D83DDA-BA90-45AB-B7F6-EAE5441AACD7.jpeg

And approx 4 more weeks for these two less a day.... it wasn’t a total loss
E12A9CBB-9152-4010-875D-D21678FCD0B2.jpeg
CEE2183A-B540-4760-86FA-1987141411B9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom