Peat Pellets in Rockwool Cubes

If I am understanding your question right, then it should be possible as long as the peat plugs will fit after they have been wet and expanded.
Yeah the peat plugs are 1.5inch expanded and fit in the rockwool nicely, was just curious if there would be any issues putting a soil medium inside a rockwool, the peat plug will be kept in its casing and placed into the rockwool, then eventually they will be put into a wilma system (pebbles)

Thanks mate I'll make sure none of the peat makes it into my res
I've been using peat pellets with Rockwool blocks for 18 years, in nft tables. The inly issue, if light is left to hit top of pellet, algae can develop. I put a cap over the top to stop light.
If you cover the peat you will be fine.

Hey Saintscycle,

Welcome to 420!

Not to speak for Listers....Anything impervious to block the light like tin foil or dark plastic.

I’ve had trouble with the roots not piercing the mesh on peat pellets before but maybe not so for Listers since he reports 18 years. I’m like MC Hammer... 18 years - can’t touch that!

Let me shout and see if they will jump back in. @Listersmeghead

Hahaha amazing. Ive been drawing something to make for it . I feel like tin foil would bake the stalk. I’m gonna make a little China hat type cap out of some materials and test them out I think thin plastic of a solo cup with a staple or something perhaps.

What kind of cap?
You can buy little purpose made white plastic caps that are designed specifically for the task, but I use little squares of black/white(panda sheet).
I just cut a little square, then cut a little slot half way into the middle from the edge, this is so the stem will fit.

roots not piercing the mesh on peat pellets
You know, I'd never heard of any problem with them until one or two people mentioned it here. I plant them straight into soil or stick them into blocks and bang into hydro, never a problem.
:passitleft: it must be my lucky MC hammer pants:laugh:

I did rootopsy on a few plants that fizzled and died - peat pellets were the common denominator. I know roots are supposed to grow right thru the membrane and I like the peat pellets but I stopped using them and would recommend either removing the membrane altogether or snipping the membrane in a few places on the edges to give roots better chance. My dead plants seemed to not have a wealth of strong roots coming from the pellets but that could have been due to something else too

I have read similar comments here before from others with insane in the membrane problems but as I mentioned you’ve got nearly 2 decades of proof that they work as designed. Just putting it out there for the op to consider.

Thank you for jumping in here Listersmeghead! You’ve got that right, must be the dropped crotch and all that extra air down under!!! :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom