Pennsylvania Governor Corbett Wrong On Medical Marijuana Opposition: Daylin Leach

The General

Dear Governor Corbett,

I am writing this open letter to you today to express my disappointment in your spokesman's statement that you will not support the bipartisan medical cannabis bill introduced by me and Senator Mike Folmer. Further, I ask that you agree to meet with the parents of the young boy who inspired the bill you have now said you oppose. As I assume you know, Garrett Brann is a 3-year old little boy who suffers from Dravet Syndrome, which is a form of epilepsy. He suffers up to 100 seizures per day. He takes a cocktail of very toxic and addictive drugs that have severe side effects. These drugs do not typically work very well and aren't working for Garrett.

What does work for children with Dravet's is Charlotte's Web, an oil derived from the cannabis plant. This oil is high in cannabinoids (CBDs) which help the children with epilepsy, but contain insufficient levels of THC to intoxicate anyone who uses it. In other words, Charlotte's Web cannot get someone "high". Charlotte's Web has dramatically reduced or eliminated the seizures in children who have had access to it, without side effects, without intoxication, and without addiction. With this medicine, Garrett has a chance at a normal life. Without it, he will die. According to your spokesman Jay Pagni, you will not allow Garrett to get the medicine that could save his life because you want to wait until the federal government "makes a ruling on the drug being used for medical purposes."

But surely you are aware that this has already happened. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder issued a directive indicating that the federal government will not interfere with state cannabis laws, and 21 states now have medical cannabis laws and dispensaries up and running. There is no doubt that this is something we are permitted to do. True compassion involves more than saying you are compassionate. It requires compassionate, rather than cruel, actions.

Mr. Pagni then said that even though you will stand in the way of easing Garrett's suffering, this should not be construed as decreasing your "compassion for children." But I'm sure you can understand how hollow such expressions of compassion are to the parents of a boy whose life could be saved if you'd only agree to save it. In other words, true compassion involves more than saying you are compassionate. It requires compassionate, rather than cruel, actions.

The Brann family has requested that I ask you if you would be willing to meet with them. They feel that if they fully explained their story to you, being as your spokesman points out a father and a grandfather, you would put ideology aside, and work with the Branns to find a way to help their boy. They would be happy to work around your schedule and meet with you at a time most convenient to you. Please let me know whether you are willing to do that. I appreciate your attention to this matter. State Sen. Daylin Leach, a Democrat, represents the Montgomery County-based 17th Senate District. He is a Democratic candidate for Congress in the 13th District.

(Editor's Note: The Corbett administration declined an opportunity to write an answering piece to Sen. Leach's letter. In a telephone interview, Corbett spokesman Jay Pagni reiterated the administration's opposition to legalizing medical marijuana. Here is the full text of what he said: "The governor is opposed to the legalization of marijuana even for medical purposes. This has not been given final clearance or gone through clinical trials by the [Food and Drug Administration. The FDA handles the approval of all medicines and protocols and that has not been done.")

Gov_Tom_Corbett.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Pennlive.com
Author: Daylin Leach
Website: Corbett wrong on medical marijuana opposition: Daylin Leach | PennLive.com

Back
Top Bottom