ph Control issue

pinky2213

hey guys I have a DWC set up (new to water). I have cleaned everything thoughly but my ph keeps going too high. I have 2 seedlings in clay pellets I am using well water and "general hydro" nutes and micros. And I keep getting this brownish build up at the top of my res. I have been using vinegar to lower it bur like 1 hr. later its right back to 7+. I could really use a little help.

Re: ph controll issue

Thanks for the input Dr. Yea the ph down was what I was leaning toward. I don't know if the ground water contains micro bugs or not lol. But I do know its driving me batty lol. I will look into the R.O. thing though. Thx again.

ok i'm back, with another question. As I am just starting out, I am running 400 W cfl at 5,000k putting out 6,200 lumens in a 3.5'x3.5' area. I am using a reflector and the lights are about 3" from the plants in a 5 gal bubbler. my question is does this sound like a workable set up?

If you are using the entire 12.25 sq. ft. area for growing then you don't have enough light. You'll need a minimum of 50 watts/sq. ft. and 2,000 lumens/sq. ft. for the vegetation stage and 3,000 lumens/sq. ft. for the flowering stage. From a wattage stand point your current lighting can adequately cover 8 sq. ft., however the lumens seem very low for 400 watts. I get over 25,000 lumens from my ~400 watt CFL lighting setup.

LOL I have not as a matter..... I am new to water. i'm a kinda get DIRTy kinda guy :). (EC)?

What made you decide to grow go hydro?
I'm also into soil for my first couple of grows. Not really satisfied as they say bigger yield and faster finishing can be expected from indoors especially in a hydro set-up.
Been trying to validate it from those who tried both like you. :thanks:

well to be honest I had heard a lot of good things about hydro. I actually planted "both" soil and set up a small 2 plant bubbler. And I have to say my soil is blowing my hydro away ! It turns out there is a pretty good investment for hydro, and I scavenged most of mine :). I think my water was my biggest issue actually. I have well water and there is a lot of limestone in my location and I think it kept raising my ph I had to fight it daily. And I just didn't want to invest in a R.O. system. So I just boxed all my hydro stuff up. And I may build my own filtration system in the near future. But for now I am going to go with the soil/ewc mix I am using (my girls look sooo pretty in it ;). The biggest draw for me on the hydro was the fast grow time. But from what I have read there is not a whole lot of diff. and I have read that in some cases hydro can give bud a chem after taste. I don't know this for sure just what I have read. I am really an old school grower any way. one of the main reasons I was going to try hydro was to grow year round. I hadn't even considered soil inside :)

one of the main reasons I was going to try hydro was to grow year round. I hadn't even considered soil inside :)

If I can adequately control the temps and RH in my grow box during the summer, I will become a year round soil grower.

ok i'm back, with another question. As I am just starting out, I am running 400 W cfl at 5,000k putting out 6,200 lumens in a 3.5'x3.5' area. I am using a reflector and the lights are about 3" from the plants in a 5 gal bubbler. my question is does this sound like a workable set up?

can you post a photo?

I haven't even thought about RH in my grow box yet. This is actually my first attempt, but I checked out your easy riders very nice! I may post a few pics of mine (just because in am proud of them :). I am not sure of the strain, as I just used bag seeds for my first go at the grow but they look heavy on the indica side to me. Where did you get your fans? I am just using a small box type fan and I am not real happy with its performance.

sorry dude, I didn't mean to ignore ya. I actually just saw your reply. and I am going to post a few pix later today.

Where did you get your fans? I am just using a small box type fan and I am not real happy with its performance.

Thanks pinky! I will be harvesting those ladies next Tuesday, December 10th and will post several updates regarding the harvest, wash, dry and cure. The small fans I use to circulate air within the grow box are Lasko 6" Clip Fans I got off of Amazon. The double barrel fan outside the grow box that I use to redirect air into the grow closet is a Honeywell Air Circulation Fan that I got at our local flea market. I'm looking forward to your pictures as well, always love to see cannabis in all its forms! ;)

ahhhhh that sounds like a "merry xmas" for you .;) and thanks for the info. Have you posted current pix of the ladies? If so I may have just not scrolled enuff.

I'm trying to get as much locally as possible so that I can easily and quickly react to any unanticipated issues. I could not find anything higher than 5000K at my local Home Depot/Lowe's/Target/Walmart/etc. in standard CFL bulbs. I already have to buy my 125 watt CFLs off the internet and I purchased replacement bulbs at same time so there is no down time when one of them fails.

ahhh I see, and yea all I could get at the depot was 5000k I was like ahhhh come on lol. So I bought 5-100w. Then I scrounged I up a fluro fixture and got a couple 24" 6500k at walmrt. I may just buy a 8 bulb T5 fixture, Everytime I see them online my heart speeds up lol.

when you feed do you give nutes everytime? I think I burned one of mine a little (tips of leaves turned brown) so I was thinking about just going with h20 every other feeding.

Back
Top Bottom