PH going up or down means?

420Steve

Hey guys just a quick question, i started at 5.8PH and it went all the way upto 7.1PH and my plant started to show some issues, if it goes up what does it mean is the plant taking up the nutes?

Hard to say without pictures or exact details of your system.

I'll tell you what I do in my system.
When my pH goes up, I check my roots, because that's an indicator for me that I have dead roots. "What causes that?", you say. Killing my air roots by adding too high of a water level (drowning) after I let it get low, too fast - might be one (of many) possible answer(s).
This in turn creates bacteria in the water that indicates with a high pH.
Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, here.

The possible fix?
Remove the dead roots best I can, drain, rinse (with clean water), drain again and replace fluids. While it was empty, I check that broken dead roots didn't clog my system anywhere and clean my system out. Check my air stones that sufficient air flow for my size root mass. (without knowing your system, have no idea if what your doing is adequate.)

I'd like to ad one.

pH stays the same, EC goes up.
Whats happening: Water uptake, but nutrients aren't being absorbed.
Fix: Ad fresh water to dilute nutrients.

What was the rate at which this happened? How long did it take? And did you check your roots health conditions?
I just read that EC same, pH up is normal. So should be no problems. I put pH down in mine regularly (but I'm still trying to dial in). But if it increases rapidly and the difference is 1 or more in a 2 ay period, I am usually looking to change my solution out and checking root health.

Back
Top Bottom