PH Keeps Rising

I posted a picture of the brand on the first page. Its a German brand from blusana. Honestly I was also surprised about this ,as usually i have read "soak the balls for a day max".
After a 2-3 weeks the ph rising (the PH wasn't swinging only rising) problem totally disappeared.

For me its still a nonsense why this happened ,but i cant think of anything else than that the clay had something on/in it. I also wrote the guys who produce this brand if they have put something in/on it for PH balancing ...ofcourse they didnt write anything back since then (last time i bought something from them ,thats for sure....).

You can buy this brand here in a lot of shops ,so if somebody sees this hopefully he is going to be prepared :)

I used to go crazy with the so called inert hydroponic growing media before I figured out that if I wanted to do hydroponic (the very definition and not a hybrid system which is what it becomes once you keep plants in any media for the long term) I would have to ditch media altogether , and that's besides taming the beast that is sodium hydroxide (more on that in a second). If you're willing, I can show you how to make clever use of neoprene foam to take the place of any media in any type of hydroponic system you would like to use. The neoprene foam (1" thick premium sheet black foam) can be made into a sturdy collar that can support the weight of any size plant when set properly. No more pH adjustment for the sake of counteracting media effects on pH and way less work because theres no more media maintenance.
Another thing that raises pH is the sodium hydroxide (rather tiny amounts but it still gives us a problem with pH rising) that is necessary for fresh water pH buffering (the municipality you belong to will have varying amounts of this added as part of a normal and healthy process of creating safe tap water ). That is why I don't mix tap water with filtered, RO or distilled water. I simply use a 6 stage RO system in this order of processing 1.) 10 micron sediment filter 2.)10 micron carbon 3.) 5 micron sediment 4.) 1 micron sediment 5.) .5 micron carbon 6.) 100 gpd RO membrane.
I use a DIY cal mag formula to bring the water up to .4 ec if I'm using it in a way to replenish cal/mag hardness in a low nute situation like starting seedlings in a hydroponic bubbler or no cal/mag at all if I'm going around 1.2 ec or over for veg stage (after the first 10 days of seedling stage) and thereafter ( because there is enough cal mag in the water just by doing a lucas ratio formula when you are at these ec levels).
I'm not here to bash anybody for using media. But once I stopped using it I couldn't believe I used it in the first place. My pH is never a problem anymore and once in a while I check it but I find that it was a waste of time because it's always locked in a very narrow perfect range (6.0-6.1 in veg when using my DIY lucas formula @ 1.2 ec and 5.83-6.0ec when using my DIY lucas formula @ 1.7 ec).

Back
Top Bottom