PH Nightmare Remains!

It's been a long time since I took organic chemistry, but I remember those organic acids (acetic in vinegar, citric in lemon) are pretty weak and they are also subject to breakdown by (and thus are food for) bacteria.

Theoretically, I would think the best acid to use to adjust pH would be phosphoric, because plants can use the phosphorus. (Phosphoric is what's in pH Down, by the way, though strangely it has citric as well.) I'm not sure that the sulfur products you're going to get with sulfuric acid are going to be ideal for plants... (but then you don't need much of it, so not a big deal, probably).

As for the pH drifting back up, I can't tell you exactly why, but I can tell you that some waters have buffering chemicals in them (carbonates, for example) that act as buffers, and what buffers do by definition is buffer (resist) changes in pH. So although I can't tell you the exact mechanism, I'm 99% sure that what is happening is that your water has carbonate buffers in it and that they are slowly reacting with the pH down and neutralizing it so when you come back the pH has gone back up. You can think about a piece of chalk sitting there getting dissolved by the acid but resisting the pH change that the acid would cause otherwise.

Buffers and buffering are kind of complicated, but that's the essence.

Here in the US, you can usually contact you water department and they will send you a complete breakdown of everything that's in your water. These days, that information is usually online, come to think of it. (It's important info not just for health and purity reasons but also because some industries (brewing for example) either need or cannot use water that has certain characteristics.) Anyway, if you can get a look at the characteristics of your local water, you might see that it is "hard" (high mineral content, essentially) and I believe that would tend to buffer pH changes. If you really want to pursue this, I'll bet a water chemist at your water utility could tell you exactly what's going on...

By contrast, the water where I live so clean, pure, and "soft" that you can make the pH drop dramatically just by blowing the CO2 in your breath through it (by producing carbonic acid). It changes pH very easily.

BTW, if you make careful measurements of water and acid, you should be able to use the same amount of acid each time if you give it enough time for the pH to stabilize. That at least gives you some predictability. You just need some lead time. (Though sometimes water characteristics change with the seasons. Sometimes the utility even draws water from different source.)

And of course you could just use RO or distilled water...

Maybe something in there was helpful? Good luck. I would be curious to know what you find out.
Sci

BTW, my grow guru loves and recommends Hydroguard bacillus culture to both treat and prevent water biology problems. Hydroguard gets really good ratings at Amazon. Also, as a rule, keeping your water at 70F or below (which also stops Legionella from growing, which can make you sick) or as cool as you can will help to prevent bacterial growth, and tank circulation helps too. The aquarium folks learned a long time ago to keep the water moving and to keep the bubblers bubbling. :)

Appreciate the feedback - none of those products are available where I live in Indonesia unfortunately. That is why I have been trying weird shit like: lemon juice and distilled white vinegar.

You could find phosphoric acid if you looked hard enough. I think there are some producers in Indo. But sulphuric is obviously far easier to find and should work fine.

It's been a long time since I took organic chemistry, but I remember those organic acids (acetic in vinegar, citric in lemon) are pretty weak and they are also subject to breakdown by (and thus are food for) bacteria.

Theoretically, I would think the best acid to use to adjust pH would be phosphoric, because plants can use the phosphorus. (Phosphoric is what's in pH Down, by the way, though strangely it has citric as well.) I'm not sure that the sulfur products you're going to get with sulfuric acid are going to be ideal for plants... (but then you don't need much of it, so not a big deal, probably).

As for the pH drifting back up, I can't tell you exactly why, but I can tell you that some waters have buffering chemicals in them (carbonates, for example) that act as buffers, and what buffers do by definition is buffer (resist) changes in pH. So although I can't tell you the exact mechanism, I'm 99% sure that what is happening is that your water has carbonate buffers in it and that they are slowly reacting with the pH down and neutralizing it so when you come back the pH has gone back up. You can think about a piece of chalk sitting there getting dissolved by the acid but resisting the pH change that the acid would cause otherwise.

Buffers and buffering are kind of complicated, but that's the essence.

Here in the US, you can usually contact you water department and they will send you a complete breakdown of everything that's in your water. These days, that information is usually online, come to think of it. (It's important info not just for health and purity reasons but also because some industries (brewing for example) either need or cannot use water that has certain characteristics.) Anyway, if you can get a look at the characteristics of your local water, you might see that it is "hard" (high mineral content, essentially) and I believe that would tend to buffer pH changes. If you really want to pursue this, I'll bet a water chemist at your water utility could tell you exactly what's going on...

By contrast, the water where I live so clean, pure, and "soft" that you can make the pH drop dramatically just by blowing the CO2 in your breath through it (by producing carbonic acid). It changes pH very easily.

BTW, if you make careful measurements of water and acid, you should be able to use the same amount of acid each time if you give it enough time for the pH to stabilize. That at least gives you some predictability. You just need some lead time. (Though sometimes water characteristics change with the seasons. Sometimes the utility even draws water from different source.)

And of course you could just use RO or distilled water...

Maybe something in there was helpful? Good luck. I would be curious to know what you find out.
Sci

BTW, my grow guru loves and recommends Hydroguard bacillus culture to both treat and prevent water biology problems. Hydroguard gets really good ratings at Amazon. Also, as a rule, keeping your water at 70F or below (which also stops Legionella from growing, which can make you sick) or as cool as you can will help to prevent bacterial growth, and tank circulation helps too. The aquarium folks learned a long time ago to keep the water moving and to keep the bubblers bubbling. :)

Hello "Sci" - very good feedback, thank you very much! There is a company here in Jakarta that I will take the water to and have it tested. Here in Indonesia - all the sources of water, rain, well, river - are all so nasty bad that even the poorest of locals use "bottled water"! I started this using "boiled" water; then I went to the 8.2PH water from the faucet in my house - hell, at this point it would have been a lot cheaper for me to use "bottled water"! The have reverse osmosis systems here that I have looked at but the "experts" there, tell me that their system will only drop the "tap" water by ~1. for PH. That would put me at 7.2 - which is still too high correct?

Current status: Yesterday, I "sterilized" reservoir, pumps, tubes, baskets - everything. Added 50 liters of water from the faucet 8.2PH; EC 230. Added the only available A/B solution I can buy over here and used The only PH Down available here and brought the reservoir down to 5.2PH & 1200 EC. This morning reservoir was at 5.69PH and EC dropped to 1160. I LEFT EVERYTHING ALONE and will check it right before the lights go off this evening at 7PM. *My "light schedule" currently is DARK from 7pm - 7am. I have a pond fountain that sprays to DWC Buckets / Plants for 15 minutes every 4 hours. I have 2 fish bubblers running 24 hours. I'm going to go check the #'s now - I'll report stats in a minute..... Ok - PH at 5.6; EC 1130; inspection of reservoir shows no signs of "scum", "froth", etc., but damn the temperature is 82F. What is the ideal water temp for "flowering plants" and what is best way to "chill it"?
thanks again to everyone for helping me through this!
Cheers,
Texasdjj / (lost in Indonesia)

Hello "Sci" - very good feedback, thank you very much! There is a company here in Jakarta that I will take the water to and have it tested. Here in Indonesia - all the sources of water, rain, well, river - are all so nasty bad that even the poorest of locals use "bottled water"! I started this using "boiled" water; then I went to the 8.2PH water from the faucet in my house - hell, at this point it would have been a lot cheaper for me to use "bottled water"! The have reverse osmosis systems here that I have looked at but the "experts" there, tell me that their system will only drop the "tap" water by ~1. for PH. That would put me at 7.2 - which is still too high correct?

Current status: Yesterday, I "sterilized" reservoir, pumps, tubes, baskets - everything. Added 50 liters of water from the faucet 8.2PH; EC 230. Added the only available A/B solution I can buy over here and used The only PH Down available here and brought the reservoir down to 5.2PH & 1200 EC. This morning reservoir was at 5.69PH and EC dropped to 1160. I LEFT EVERYTHING ALONE and will check it right before the lights go off this evening at 7PM. *My "light schedule" currently is DARK from 7pm - 7am. I have a pond fountain that sprays to DWC Buckets / Plants for 15 minutes every 4 hours. I have 2 fish bubblers running 24 hours. I'm going to go check the #'s now - I'll report stats in a minute..... Ok - PH at 5.6; EC 1130; inspection of reservoir shows no signs of "scum", "froth", etc., but damn the temperature is 82F. What is the ideal water temp for "flowering plants" and what is best way to "chill it"?
thanks again to everyone for helping me through this!
Cheers,
Texasdjj / (lost in Indonesia)
You want your resivoir water between 65deg and 72deg farenhite (18 -22 deg celsius?) Great if you can keep around 68deg farenhite. You can put ice packs around the outside of resivoir.

You want your resivoir water between 65deg and 72deg farenhite (18 -22 deg celsius?) Great if you can keep around 68deg farenhite. You can put ice packs around the outside of resivoir.
Hi Tricam - thanks for the quick feedback! Outside temp here in Jakarta Indonesia is 30C average everyday. Today it was 32. My "grow" is on the top floor of my house in a bedroom, 8x10ft. Inside air temp is around 80 if I don't put the A/C on. Putting ice around the reservoir to keep the temp in the desired range would be a full time job. At the flowering stage - would it hurt if I used the A/C to drop the ambient air enough to lower the reservoir temp?
thoughts?
Texasdjj

Hi Tricam - thanks for the quick feedback! Outside temp here in Jakarta Indonesia is 30C average everyday. Today it was 32. My "grow" is on the top floor of my house in a bedroom, 8x10ft. Inside air temp is around 80 if I don't put the A/C on. Putting ice around the reservoir to keep the temp in the desired range would be a full time job. At the flowering stage - would it hurt if I used the A/C to drop the ambient air enough to lower the reservoir temp?
thoughts?
Texasdjj
A/C can help but, you will want to keep upper veg area temp around 25deg C and roots zone around 20deg C. Put a couple of ice bottles around res change out every 8 to 12 hours or invest in a water chiller. High root zone temps always cause multiple issues from stunted growth, nutes lockout to root rot.

"CHANCES FAVOR THE PREPARED MIND"

A/C can help but, you will want to keep upper veg area temp around 25deg C and roots zone around 20deg C. Put a couple of ice bottles around res change out every 8 to 12 hours or invest in a water chiller. High root zone temps always cause multiple issues from stunted growth, nutes lockout to root rot.

"CHANCES FAVOR THE PREPARED MIND"

Thanks, Understood. I will start freezing water bottles and will rotate to keep reservoir cooler. That is probably why I have been having "root rot" periodically.
Can you recommend a more "sustainable" solution, ie: a referral to an "electric chilling" system. The ones I find from a google search are several thousand dollars.
Cheers,
TexasDjj

Hey Texasdjj, you might have some luck brewing a microbacterial tea to inoculate your reservoir with beneficial bacteria. My reservoir temperatures have been over 23C and up to 25C for most of my grow. I don't have rot root because I use Hydroguard, which is just a delivery system for the good bacteria.

Hey Texasdjj, you might have some luck brewing a microbacterial tea to inoculate your reservoir with beneficial bacteria. My reservoir temperatures have been over 23C and up to 25C for most of my grow. I don't have rot root because I use Hydroguard, which is just a delivery system for the good bacteria.

Link is broken rifleman. :(

The have reverse osmosis systems here that I have looked at but the "experts" there, tell me that their system will only drop the "tap" water by ~1. for PH. That would put me at 7.2 - which is still too high correct?
So the pH gurus say. 6 is supposed to be better. How MUCH better I do not know. I would expect that your plants would do OK with 7.2, which is essentially neutral pH. When I look at the nutrient availability charts, I don't see anything too drastically limited at 7.2... phosphorous, iron, and manganese aren't so hot... but I'm talking theory here, not experience. I'd love to hear the voice of experience on this.
GH%20ph%20control%20kit.jpg

brought the reservoir down to 5.2PH
Just a note here: the pH scale is logarithmic, which means that a change of 1 on the pH scale means *10 times* more concentrated--ten times as many acid atoms floating around. A change of 2 on the pH scale is 100 times as concentrated, 3=1000, etc. Just something to keep in mind... Big concentration changes with small number changes!

It sounds like you are being careful and methodical, so I'm confident you are going to get your system dialed-in very soon. :thumb:

Hmmm. There sure are a lot of different ph uptake charts out there. Yours looks looks more like a soil one but I'm guessing it isn't since you posted it here. :hmmmm: Here are some other charts.

But I find (in soilless and DTW hydro anyway- I don't grow dwc ) that anything as high as even the low sixes -is too high and causes all kinds of lockout issues. I did a side by side grow (in soilless) for a while running two identical clones on the same feed but one at 5.2 and one at 6.2. By the time a month was out the low ph one one was twice as big as the high ph one- which showed so many issues I ended up throwing it out.

Hmmm. There sure are a lot of different ph uptake charts out there. Yours looks looks more like a soil one but I'm guessing it isn't since you posted it here. :hmmmm:

Yeah, and who to trust? (That particular one was a General Hydroponics chart.) That's why I said it would be good to get some actual experience, so thanks for sharing that. :thumb:

But I find (in soilless and DTW hydro anyway- I don't grow dwc ) that anything as high as even the low sixes -is too high and causes all kinds of lockout issues. I did a side by side grow (in soilless) for a while running two identical clones on the same feed but one at 5.2 and one at 6.2. By the time a month was out the high ph one one was twice as big as the low ph one- which showed so many issues I ended up throwing it out.

That's really interesting and useful. I especially like that you did the side-by-side comparison experiment!

Can you please clarify which plant did better? It says "the high pH" one was twice as big. Did you mean the LOW pH one? That would be more consistent with "anything as high as even the low sixes -is too high and causes all kinds of lockout issues" it seems. Thanks for sharing your experience and experiement!

Back
Top Bottom