Ph questions?

pilot90

hello all new to this great site, just one question. whats the way to keep track of your ph (ie) should i buy a meter or or test strips or? any help would be great........ thanks :peacetwo:

thanks hog, i think digital would make things eaiser. I am a newbie at this and i appreciate your advice.........thanks again :high-five:

thanks prairie, i really like this site everyone is so helpfull. unlike others sites ive seen where all they do is attack u verbally and are just plain rude. thanks.....

hello all new to this great site, just one question. whats the way to keep track of your ph (ie) should i buy a meter or or test strips or? any help would be great........ thanks :peacetwo:

Dr Google helped me with thsi one:

The pH level is much more important in organic soil gardens than in chemical hydroponic gardens. The pH dictates the environment of bacteria necessary to the uptake of organic nutrients.

If using litmus paper, collect soil samples that demonstrate an average of the soil. Place the samples in a clean jar and moisten the soil samples with distilled water. Place two pieces of the litmus paper in the muddy water. After 10 seconds, remove one of the strips of litmus paper. Wait a minute before removing the other one. Both pieces of litmus paper should register the same color. The litmus paper container should have a pH color chart on the side. To learn the pH, match the color of the litmus paper with the colors on the chart to get a pH reading. Litmus paper will accurately measure the acidity of the substance to within a point. The pH readings will not be accurate if altered by water with a high or low pH, and litmus paper could give a false reading is if the fertilizer contains a color tracing agent.

Electronic pH testers are economical and convenient. Less expensive pH meters are accurate enough for casual use. More expensive models are quite accurate. Pay special attention to the soil moisture when taking a pH test with an electronic meter. The meters measure the electrical current between two probes and are designed to work in moist soil. If the soil is dry, the probes do not give an accurate reading. Some prefer electronic pH meters over the reagent test kits and litmus paper because they are convenient economical and accurate. Once purchased, you can measure pH thousands of times with an electronic meter, while the chemical test kits are good for about a dozen tests. Some meters measure the pH perpetually.

Back
Top Bottom