PH testing question

Thanks so much for the quick responses! I'd love to ask other questions, but I need to stay on topic.

However, for others also trying to understand pH and how to apply it to growing weed, I learned something today that I'll pass along.

In another pH thread someone recommended the Milwaukee PH600 digital pen sized meter for testing water. This unit is inexpensive $22-30 and apparently gets the job done. I was confused about the calibration solution for it because different sellers were offering different pH calibration products.

The unit has what is called "manual single-point calibration." This means you would only use the pH 7.01 solution for calibration. It also means the unit is only accurate for pH in the 6-8 range.

Most units have two-point calibration which is accurate to a wider range of pH and why you need to calibrate them with a pH 4.01 and 10.01 solution. Lastly, the probes need to be stored in a special solution to protect them. Apparently a pH 4.01 solution works for that.

I bought one and so I got some pH 4.01 to store the unit and 7.01 to calibrate it. I'm going to risk not checking TDS on my first soil attempt. Hopefully I won't regret it ;-)

You need to check the ph of your feeding mix and adjust as needed every time you feed. you also need to know the tds (total dissolved solids) in ppm (parts per million) of your nutrient mix. you also need to occasionally check your run-off ph (not your soil). there are numerous combo meters out there that will measure ph and tds. :grinjoint:

Soil is in the 5.9-6.1 range. Ph corrected water/ feeding solution 7.1.

Question: Do I not need to worry about the low soil ph as long as the runoff is in the 6.5-6.8 range? And Why?

Back
Top Bottom