Plant Problem (Help appreciated)

you can never go wrong with LST :) check out my jounal to see some :)

A 20 litre pot which is 5 gallons should be big enough for the rest of her life. I know you said you are using a 4 litre pot which is one gallon and should be good for a month or so. If your soil is full of nutrients then you should be fine for awhile without adding nutrients from a bottle. I do believe that OnTheMove is correct and it was suffering from compacted roots due to a small container.

A 20 litre pot which is 5 gallons should be big enough for the rest of her life. I know you said you are using a 4 litre pot which is one gallon and should be good for a month or so. If your soil is full of nutrients then you should be fine for awhile without adding nutrients from a bottle. I do believe that OnTheMove is correct and it was suffering from compacted roots due to a small container.

Except that if you're comparing it to pot sizes those are measured in trade gallons in the US, which is .71 gallons. So a 5 gallon bucket is about equivalent to a 7 gallon plant pot. A 5 gallon plant pot is ~13.4 liters. It would all be a lot easier if we'd just go metric! :)

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I know I made a huge mistake keeping the plant in such a small pot for so long, I now have the Plant in a 4 Litre pot, I know that's probably still not big enough, however, I'm limited for space a the moment!

I honestly cannot put it back outside, the weather has been horrible the past few weeks, that's why I resorted to getting a light.

I currently have a humidity problem too, my humidity is around 48-54 depending on what time of the day it is! I guess I will learn and learn, I don't even know what type of breed the plant is, I think I'm just going to try and save it at the moment, and if it doesn't, then I'll plant my new Amnesia seeds and start fresh!

I'm pretty new to this whole thing, however, the last few weeks have been such a learning curve for me!
Any help or advice you have, I would really appreciate it! many thanks.

(edit: by the way, Where in Swiss are you? I am frequently in Geneva and Sion:) )

I am in the mountains near to fribourg :)

hey did you see my outdoor grow? the weather here has been terrible but the plants are fine, is there any way you can get a 20 liter pot and make a shelter for it outside? she will thank you alot for that! oh i just remeber that its begging flowering time for outdoors soon! very soon! so stick with the light, or actually you could use outdoor mixed with indoor :)

Yea, I don't know a lot about growing pot yet, but even if the weather is bad, the plant will do fine outside as long as the soil is draining well. Even on a cloudy day plants get a lot of energy from the sun, especially at altitude. MJ seems to grow a lot like tomatoes to me, so I've been treating mine a lot like I would tomatoes and that seems to be working out ok.

If you're planning on flowering with the natural schedule outdoors you probably don't need that big of a pot - I'm just N of 40 deg and mine just started flowering this week. I attempted my first grow this Spring, and ended up with an 8 liter pot. I topped the plant and kept her outdoors during the day, then supplemented under lights overnight. When I wanted her to flower, I brought her in after 12 hours. I didn't want a huge plant since it was my first time growing, so I flowered at 1 ft and it turns out that's convenient for a lot of reasons. She only got to be about 2ft tall but was loaded with buds and they are phenomenal, 42g dried. I am pretty pleased with the results of the experiment. When I cleaned out her pot, the root system was well-developed but definitely not at the limits of the container.

How did the roots look when you repotted your plant? A lot of thin, tiny roots around the outside of the pot is fine, but if the larger, more fibrous roots were beginning to circle at the bottom that is a sign that the small pot was stressing the plant. If that wasn't the case, then you don't want to switch to another, larger pot too soon. My general rule of thumb is that the plant should be able to dry the container within 3 days. Oxygen is as important to roots as water, and a plant with a strong vascular system is a plant that can produce big flowers. I know I need to repot them when they are drying out more quickly, but let the pot get dry before you water again - not so dry that the plant gets stressed, but don't let it get soggy. There's definitely a risk for that moving a plant between the indoors and outdoors, since its water requirements will vary based on the light it receives.

Yea, I don't know a lot about growing pot yet, but even if the weather is bad, the plant will do fine outside as long as the soil is draining well. Even on a cloudy day plants get a lot of energy from the sun, especially at altitude. MJ seems to grow a lot like tomatoes to me, so I've been treating mine a lot like I would tomatoes and that seems to be working out ok.

If you're planning on flowering with the natural schedule outdoors you probably don't need that big of a pot - I'm just N of 40 deg and mine just started flowering this week. I attempted my first grow this Spring, and ended up with an 8 liter pot. I topped the plant and kept her outdoors during the day, then supplemented under lights overnight. When I wanted her to flower, I brought her in after 12 hours. I didn't want a huge plant since it was my first time growing, so I flowered at 1 ft and it turns out that's convenient for a lot of reasons. She only got to be about 2ft tall but was loaded with buds and they are phenomenal, 42g dried. I am pretty pleased with the results of the experiment. When I cleaned out her pot, the root system was well-developed but definitely not at the limits of the container.

How did the roots look when you repotted your plant? A lot of thin, tiny roots around the outside of the pot is fine, but if the larger, more fibrous roots were beginning to circle at the bottom that is a sign that the small pot was stressing the plant. If that wasn't the case, then you don't want to switch to another, larger pot too soon. My general rule of thumb is that the plant should be able to dry the container within 3 days. Oxygen is as important to roots as water, and a plant with a strong vascular system is a plant that can produce big flowers. I know I need to repot them when they are drying out more quickly, but let the pot get dry before you water again - not so dry that the plant gets stressed, but don't let it get soggy. There's definitely a risk for that moving a plant between the indoors and outdoors, since its water requirements will vary based on the light it receives.

Hello,

The roots were basically just all around the pot, they look decent to be honest, but they definitely wanted out and into a bigger pot, the reason for moving into a 4litre was obviously because I didn't want to stress the plant even more by adding it straight into a 20litre

I am now growing this plant inside on an 18/6 schedule, Using cana professional coco, and Advanced nutrition nutes.
The temp in which my grow cupboard is approx 72-75F with the humidity around 45-50, I'm also using this under a 125Watt REd CFL, as I am quite new to the whole growing thing, I didn't want to go all crazy and go out and buy a 1000Watt Light.

I water maybe once every 4 days, due to my Canna coco holding a lot of water and moisture.

I am in the mountains near to fribourg :)

hey did you see my outdoor grow? the weather here has been terrible but the plants are fine, is there any way you can get a 20 liter pot and make a shelter for it outside? she will thank you alot for that! oh i just remeber that its begging flowering time for outdoors soon! very soon! so stick with the light, or actually you could use outdoor mixed with indoor :)

I will check out your outside crop now, my friend!

She seemed to be coming along well, when I noticed this on another leaf today...

ss_2014-08-19_at_05_53_42_.jpg

I wouldn't focus on the dying leaf you need to look at the new growth to see if you have fixed your problem. In the picture above it looks like you are still a little light on nitrogen. Unless it's a function of the lighting showing the plant is a very light green.
You can check out my journal to see what a healthy plant should look like while in veg.

I wouldn't focus on the dying leaf you need to look at the new growth to see if you have fixed your problem. In the picture above it looks like you are still a little light on nitrogen. Unless it's a function of the lighting showing the plant is a very light green.
You can check out my journal to see what a healthy plant should look like while in veg.

Thanks for your reply, to the human eye my plant looks darkish green, even to the point where I think it might be burning, This is a picture from my mobile phone

ss_2014-08-19_at_06_14_11_.jpg

I would they only serve to attract bugs in my experience

How crazy... I stumble upon my plant today to find little gnats walking around in my Coco, now I have a Gnat problem to deal with!

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. at-least it's not extremely bad, but it's bad enough all of these problems coming at once!

Definately looks like a nitrogen issue from your previous posts. The most recent pic looks a lot better! I would check out the forum about pests and plant problems, lots of good info in there on how to get rid of those bugs.

Looks like pH lockout, but could be the gnats destroying your roots. You may not see a lot of them, but there are a lot more than you think in there

I've been using Mighty Wash for a week now, I know it's been working as I never see the gnats ontop of the coco anymore, however, like you said, there's probably millions under the coco.

I did a drench with the Mighty Wash also, hopefully that did the trick.

any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom