Pot Café forced to close

PaRaLyZeD-420

Growing Guru
this is the recent news from cannabis culture website and it's an article about my best friend Mike's pot café being closed down in my hometown. :peace:

One of Ontario's First Cannabis Cafes Busted
(13 May, 2005) Activists Planning Protest Smokeout

The Hippy Cafe was quite possibly Ontario's first Cannabis Cafe. It was opened in the heart of London in April 2003, a period in Marijuana history known as the Summer of Peace, when the possess ion of marijuana was a legal gray area. But as the founders of the Cafe, Mike McDowell and his wife Tabetha would soon find out, London police weren't quite ready for Drug War peace.

"For the first 9 months or so there were no real problems. The police didn't seem to care," Mike recounts in an interview with Cannabis Culture. Then, he says, the police officers would pass by and one day they simply asked him to close, which he did.

"It was a short break, but we reopened quick around January 2004." By this time the Hippy Cafe was officially changed to the Hippy Sanctuary and it was now a chapter of the Church of the Universe. Mike McDowell, who was ordained as a minister by the government, said "the new cafe ran very smoothly for a while, but problems started in December 2004."

The reverend, as he was later known on the streets, accuses the London PD of what he calls selective policing. "The Police started intimidating people — picking off our customers from the edges." McDowell says police would follow his patrons home in squad cars or would search people as they left the Cafe. In one case late last year, a thief stole one of the cafe's Volcano Vaporizers but when the incident was reported to police they did one better: plain clothes officers seized, as evidence, parts from the other Vaporizers rendering them unusable.

In February police officers walked in the crowd cafe, which Mike said held more than 25 people at the time, and they arrested one person. "They centered one person out and they charged him, which really had an effect on the other people" McDowell recalls. Then in March, plain-clothes police officers arrested the good reverend himself. "I was charged with trafficking, just so they could arrest me, put me in a cell and look around the place a little." McDowell was later released on possession charges. He says the Cafe was "starved out by police" and that now community members are too afraid to stop by the Hippy.

Now the Cafe is closed but that is only temporary. "We will be opening up again next summer with our own building and it is going to be so much better" Mike says.

In response to the police actions marijuana activists are planning a large protest and smoke out in London on May the 28th. "We want people in the community to know what happened — promote awareness." McDowell said people in the marijuana community started to hear what happened and are "now starting to pull together as a group."

Matt Mernagh who is helping to organize the event told Cannabis Culture "it will be awesome." The Protest will feature games and prizes from Willy Jack, Puff Momma, and the Up-in-Smoke Cafe. The pot-poet Chris Lawson will be MC and Alison Myrden from LEAP will be the guest speaker. Chris Goodwin from the Up-in-Smoke Cafe and Reverend Mike from the Hippy will be host a panel discussion on opening a Cannabis Cafe.

Also invited are the area MPs and MPPs (MLAs), the mayor of London, and the London Police chief — whom organizers call a prohibitionist. Mernagh admits it is unlikely to have many politicians turn out, but police chief Faulkner is certain to be there because organizers are making a miniature candy-filled piÃ’ata in his image.

Mernagh says the protest will be a "blitz" and he calls on marijuana activist to get involved. "We have to get this city back. It's bad. If we get enough members we will take over the band shell." Mernagh invites everyone who can make out to London's Victoria Park on May 28th at 3:00, for some great fun.

hippysanctuary.com/headlog.htm

That's too bad mate. Sounded like a nice spot.

Hey sorry to hear about the bad news. I always thought that you guys were a little more tolerant up there in canada but i guess you have the same assholes running shit up there as we do down here.

Get Organized!!!!!
peace out,
-FullMetal

why do they do this would they rather it be on the streets and people smoking outside in the open. i haven't had the luxury of having cafés with bud but if someone took it away i would be extremely pissed. that sucks man

this is the recent news from cannabis culture website and it's an article about my best friend Mike's pot café being closed down in my hometown.

One of Ontario's First Cannabis Cafes Busted
(13 May, 2005) Activists Planning Protest Smokeout

The Hippy Cafe was quite possibly Ontario's first Cannabis Cafe. It was opened in the heart of London in April 2003, a period in Marijuana history known as the Summer of Peace, when the possess ion of marijuana was a legal gray area. But as the founders of the Cafe, Mike McDowell and his wife Tabetha would soon find out, London police weren't quite ready for Drug War peace.

The same thing is happing in Vancouver they have cafe for some months than cops bust it than have it for some months and bust it again and this over and over.The 2003 was gray zone year many of calls for people smoking pot the cops would not go to, but the government telling cops weed is not legal but not illegal and we are going to make it legal than the whole thing implode in the government face.

They where going to make it legal the liberal government but do to liberal government all the fraud and corruption the government doing and wanting to get in the election the topic from making weed legal change to elections and government fraud and corruption and than lost interest.A typical government .

"For the first 9 months or so there were no real problems. The police didn't seem to care," Mike recounts in an interview with Cannabis Culture. Then, he says, the police officers would pass by and one day they simply asked him to close, which he did.

Yap the time in Canada the government could have made a change but others matters came up in government and lost interest.Still you will never get this in the US even talk on making it legal .In the US you get the cops and government chasing the potheads with a firing torch to burn them at the stake.

Just to add in Toronto at least the police tend to turn a blind eye to marijuana smoking. People here can pretty much walk down Yonge street smoking a doobie and not be harassed by the cops unless they are extremely bored and even then worse case they just give you a slap on the wrist and confiscate your stuff depending on how much you have. Toronto has 4 cannabis cafe's that I know of and I have never heard of any of them being harassed by the police at all. Infact I have known a few cops to actually tell people that if they want to smoke to go to one of the cafe's where the soccer moms wont be shocked and appaled at the sight of someone having a toke.

Back
Top Bottom