"Pot Club" Bust May Lead To More

An Okemos man could face multiple criminal charges after police raided his "pot smoking club" near Williamston Wednesday. The Green Leaf Smokers Club is supposed to be for people who use medical marijuana. Now owner Wayne Dagit could face charges, including possession of marijuana and maintaining a drug house. A local lawmaker announced plans to ban those clubs. The extra attention has a Lansing business concerned.

One pot shop says it's legal serving people who need medical marijuana, but that doesn't mean owner Danny Trevino is sitting comfortable after the recent raid near Williamston.

Danny Trevino, owner, Alternative Marijuana Store: "I don't know what their interpretation of the law is, I guess we take it before a jury. How does the jury interpret the law?"

Trevino says the law is vague, which means marijuana dispensaries and law enforcement may see the law differently. That could mean more trouble. State Representative Rick Jones wants to cut out some of the gray areas. He announced legislation to ban clubs like the Green Leaf Smoker's Club, which police raided on Wednesday.

Rick Jones, (R) Grand Ledge: "I do have a big problem with people going to a marijuana club, getting high and then getting back on the road where they can run over a child or cause an accident."

And though Trevino argues that people can take medication anywhere, he agrees a club setting could be dangerous.

Danny Trevino: "You know, maybe not smoking it in the clubs might not be a bad idea, but definitely a place for you to be able to pick it up. That should, that's reasonable."

But Trevino runs a shop, not a club. He's concerned stricter laws like Jones' could be misinterpreted. An idea Jones disagrees with.

Rick Jones: "If we don't put a stop to this now, we're gonna be like California, worse yet, we're gonna be like Holland."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: WLNS.com
Author: Brittany Gray
Copyright: 2010 WorldNow and WLNS.

Back
Top Bottom