Powdery Mildew? Lichens? What do you think?

KoesyrStorm

Hi, Koesyr here. I'd love to ask you guys what do you think about these strange spots i have on some leaves of my plants. It seems my whole balcony is "infected" with this stuff, and i don't really know what it could be. It could be Powdery Mildew or a Lichen (as the member @Antics said in a previous thread). It's annoying because even the new leaves are kinda born with those spots. Any suggestion?
photo606.JPG

I didn't want to put names around, I'm sorry xD I've edited it now!

Well, it's kind of tricky. Weeks ago his "spread power" was very strong, now it seems it is "spreading" a lot more slowly. I really don't know what to think right now!

lol Ah man I don't mind, and I'm joking anyways.

I really did think it looked more like lichens, than mold. They seem to be almost textured, and not fluffy like you'd see in mold.

But now you mentioned they're already on new leaves, so that's a big curveball.

Did you see this guys topic? White spots on leaves

How old is the plant now? Is it flowering? pre flower?

Misunderstood, i'm sorry anyway :)

Yeah, even on new groups of leaves!

The topic you linked shows leaves with like holes, something tried to pierce it. Mine are more "scrapin the surface without pearcing it". It's strange to explain.

The end of some leaves are withered too or even the points of the leaf, perhaps this is because the leaves are old and the sun burnt them a bit.

However my plants get direct sunlight for a small amount of time during the day..

My plants are 1 month old and i don't think right now (thank to you) that they are in the PreFlower stage.

EDIT: tomorrow morning i will try to spray on them some milk mixed with water to see if something happens, as a cure for an hypotetical Powdery Mildew

You have said a really really really intelligent thing that i have never thought about: It is not Growing in a exponential way. It just shows up on some leaves, nothing else.

I just woke up, in a moment i will spray with tobacco left in water for a fortnight or more.

Yeah aand I really wouldn't have thought about it since all I can see is a snapshot, and can't see it over a period of days.

I was actually googling lichens vs. mold and trying to compare them, and while sitting and thinking about it, that idea came to me. So if it's not growing, I'd be pretty sure it's not mold, which is a great thing, since it poses no hazards to your health when used.

But we have to make sure it's not spider mites. Spider mites can kill a harvest also..

Yeah you had a great idea!

Safety first, and this is good. Now I will find a way to cure the plants from an Hypotetical Spider Mites invasion.

Btw my leaves are starting to yellow like in the pictures, any suggestions?

EDIT: My dad suggested about chlorine intoxication.. Is he right?

photo_1479.JPG
photo_2420.JPG

It's possible it could be chlorine, but I'm not sure.

I have 3 containers for my water. I fill all 3 while the plants are very young seedlings, and I water with only a spray bottle.

When they get older and need more water, I use water from the big jugs since it was able to sit and let the chlorine dissipate. I use 2 of the 3 jugs to start, one is water, one is for my nutes. When one jug empties, I replace it with the other jug, and refill the empty. I then let the empty one that I just refilled sit and wait to replace the next jug. This method lets the water sit to let chlorine levels lower, and prevent chlorine toxicity.

Now to your specific problem, have you checked the PH of the soil? What is the PH of your water?

And are you feeding any nutrients yet?

Thank you for the advice on the Water, i will do it immediatly!

For the ph.... i planned to buy some Litmus Papers, but i still have to find the right place!
And for the nutrients i sometimes used some used-coffe and i tried once a product called "Baysol Plus: Fertilizer for green plants" made by Bayer, but i'd prefere to use Biological or homemade nutrients

Anything to help :) The size container I use is 1 gallon, or about 3.7 liter. 3 of those works great for 2-3 plants in my experience so far.

I'm not sure how well litmus paper works, most people will use the digital PH meters, or there is a cheaper alternative meter which usually shows PH, Light, and Moisture. The cheaper meter isn't as good or accurate as the digital meter, but it can get you through a grow.

They usually cost about $4 Euro +/-. They are green plastic, with 2 metal probes.

I'm not sure about used coffee for a nutrient, I know it has some limited ability to lower PH. The organic stuff is great, but don't totally give up on using a 'chemical' nutrient system either. There are many different types of nutrients on the market, both organic and chemical, and on our forums also, you can find a lot of organic growers sharing their mixes they use for fertilizers if you chose to stay all organic.

Back
Top Bottom