PPM Confused

N420

I just got a ppm meter have not had one for most of my grow have about 4 weeks left till the end of flower. I have been running advanced nutrients seni bloom and some of there additives and I have had some nute burn on the tips of my leaves since about the middle of veg I followed advanced feeding schedule but it must be to high based on the nute burn. so my question is now that I can read ppm what should it be at there is no info on the advanced schedule about ppm . my understanding is that you want the ppm of the run off to be the same or less then what you put in to determine if the plants are able to use what you are feeding them if its higher then make the mix going in less. Also does any one know what kind of ppm I should shoot for in veg . the guy at my hydro store said advanced is measured on the 700 scale but could not tell me what my ppm should be . Thanks in advance

I'm guessing that you are running drain to waste in a coco medium. I'm running drain to waste in coco/perlite with General Hydroponics' Flora Trio and supplements.

I can't give you a PPM, but I can share my experience. My first grow was at 25% of the label strength with no apparent problems. My next grow was at 33%, and I had some salt deposits on the outside of my grow bags. My current grow is at 40%. I'm seeing more salt deposits on my grow bags, and some evidence of nutrient burn. It's not much, but when mixing my next batch I'll drop to 30% of the recommended label strength.

I don't use my TDC/PPM/EC pen to test the strength of my nutrient solutions. I only use it to test my RO membrane once a month.

If your nutrient burn is moderate to severe, I'd drop down to 20% for the next week, and 30% after that. The first day at 20%, I'd run that through until I had twice my normal daily water/nutrient as runoff to flush as many surplus salts out of my medium as possible. In other words, If I normally give a plant two cups or 500ml, I'd want a liter of run off.

thanks for the reply yes I do run a drain to waste system I guess you would call it that lol . I hand water mixing up my nutes in the watering can I don't have a res or anything. then the run off collects in a saucer under the pot then I get rid of the run off. i am growing in promix.

what you said makes sense my nute burn is mild i think only effecting the very tips of the leaves and I have noticed salt build up on my cloth bags.advanced calls for 16ml per gallon of the bloom nutes and 8 ml per gallon for the additives . I did do a bit of a flush and will be adding nutes on next watering. don't want to sound dumb but at 40% base would be 10ml per gallon and additives would be at 3 ml per gallon and just ignore ppm ?

I'm guessing that you are running drain to waste in a coco medium. I'm running drain to waste in coco/perlite with General Hydroponics' Flora Trio and supplements.

I can't give you a PPM, but I can share my experience. My first grow was at 25% of the label strength with no apparent problems. My next grow was at 33%, and I had some salt deposits on the outside of my grow bags. My current grow is at 40%. I'm seeing more salt deposits on my grow bags, and some evidence of nutrient burn. It's not much, but when mixing my next batch I'll drop to 30% of the recommended label strength.

I don't use my TDC/PPM/EC pen to test the strength of my nutrient solutions. I only use it to test my RO membrane once a month.

If your nutrient burn is moderate to severe, I'd drop down to 20% for the next week, and 30% after that. The first day at 20%, I'd run that through until I had twice my normal daily water/nutrient as runoff to flush as many surplus salts out of my medium as possible. In other words, If I normally give a plant two cups or 500ml, I'd want a liter of run off.
Push them to their limit.., I like your style simple and careful.

Back
Top Bottom