President Obama is the Key to Decriminalizing Marijuana, Tommy Chong Says

Jacob Bell

President Obama, with one quick signature, could remove a huge hurdle in the war on drugs, marijuana icon Tommy Chong said Friday on CNN.

Minutes before the actor and comedian told a former advisor to the White House drug czar to "shut up," Chong said Obama has the power to move pot off the same list where other drugs reside (Schedule 1) to a less restrictive list (Schedule 2) where drugs like opium and morphine reside and which can be prescribed by doctors.

"All President Obama has to do is sign an executive order rescheduling marijuana from Schedule 1, which says it has no medical use whatsoever, to a Schedule 2, which would allow it to be sold by prescription only. Then we'd be all done," Chong said on the CNN show "In The Arena."

Paul Chabot, a former White House senior advisor to the director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy and founder of the Coalition for a Drug Free California, naturally had issues with the co-star of "Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke" as well as with Reps. Ron Paul (R-Texas) and Barney Frank (D-Mass.), who Thursday introduced HR 2306, a bill that would shift enforcement of marijuana laws to the states.

"It's very disappointing to have two grown adults pushing a marijuana agenda," Chabot said, adding, "Shame on Barney Frank and Ron Paul, a very big disappointment for American leadership."

Chabot, a Republican who unsuccessfully ran for California Assembly in 2010, continued: "We have woken up to the medical fraud marijuana problem that's skirted all around our nation. Times are changing. It will be back to community and family values."

And that was when Chong, who was imprisoned for 9 months for selling glass bongs, began to get angry.
Chong: Do you know Montel Williams? Montel Williams has MS. It's a debilitating disease that he keeps under control by using marijuana.

CHABOT: OK.

CHONG: Melissa Ethridge, Melissa Ethridge suffered from cancer and she survived through the use of marijuana.

CHABOT: Got it.

CHONG: Shut up for a minute. Let me finish.

CHABOT: Very disappointing.

CHONG: It has medical use. That lie you just said where it had no medical use whatsoever, it's a lie.

Chabot isn't alone in believing that marijuana has no medical use. House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith said his panel, which the Paul/Frank weed bill is required to venture through, would not even consider it because of several factors, including marijuana's lack of medical benefits.

"Marijuana use and distribution is prohibited under federal law because it has a high potential for abuse and does not have an accepted medical use in the U.S.," Smith said on Thursday.

Candidate Obama in 2004 called the war on drugs "an utter failure," and although he said he did not believe marijuana should be legalized, he said the weed should be decriminalized.

chong.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: latimesblogs.latimes.com
Author: Andrew Malcolm
Copyright: Los Angeles Times
Website: President Obama is the key to decriminalizing marijuana, Tommy Chong says

Right on... finally people are starting to get it. MMJ is the key to full legalization... and not recreational use. I hope we can get this done before I pass on. They can not fight against the facts that marijuana has medical benifits!

:goodluck::goodluck: I hate to say it but I don't think that MMJ will ever be accepted by the majority of lawmakers in power. Until we get these asses out of power we are fighting a uphill battle with no end. SAD RD :peace::peace::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke::winkyface:

Obama will , follow the UN and White House closer by november it's supposed to be decriminalized globally , which means the US . Already I think 14 states are decriminalized for recreational use . Then again , who knows ?

Only congress can reschedule cannabis. Not the president.

Everyone get over Obama doing anything other than stealing from us to pay off those who got him elected.

Chabot sounds like a tool and a half. :rolleyes3

However we all know Obama will not reschedule Cannabis. I'm glad ol Tommy is optimistic about it. I'm not.

Especially with an election coming up... Either way, President Obama wouldn't let the cat out of the bag at this point. By not making a decision or statement now, he keeps the pro-legalization crowd hopeful and likely to vote for him, and the anti-legalization groups hold confident that it will be business as usual.

But if he isn't re-elected a lame duck presidency could be a good thing.

Shut up for a minute, let me finish! Fuckin Vodka man! I don't understand why Tommy Chong ever got arrested, we have a store here that sells bongs, we had a store that sold bongs 12 years ago, i could make a bong out of parts i find in Lowe's and Home Depot, or a piece of widdled out wood. I am the MacGuyver smoker, I can make a bong out of a coke can. Nothing else, just a coke can. I can make a bong out of a turtle shell and a straw. It's the same shit with people at the airports. There will always be a flaw in the design. No design is perfect. You cannot regulate the laws because there are lawyers who can find ways around any law, even murder. So if man is fallable, and everything he creates are fallable, then....

[Tarzan have things, Tarzan have Jane. Tarzan have boy. Tarzan have food. Gold, Gold no good.]

How come no one ever brings up the Federal Marijuana Program when arguing with the Feds? Pure hypocrisy! Why do they still provide medical marijuana to the 4-5 people still in the program?

Only congress can reschedule cannabis. Not the president.

Actually, that's not quite correct. In fact, the AG has the power to schedule or reschedule any drug on the CSA. The AG has delegated that power to the DEA. So, if Obama directed the AG to reschedule, and the AG independently agreed: Voilá! rescheduling would be a reality.

The DEA has been the stumbling block all along.

I personally would like to see a movement to totally defund the DEA, which would take care of a host of problems. Maybe we could start with bumper stickers.:Namaste:

Actually, that's not quite correct. In fact, the AG has the power to schedule or reschedule any drug on the CSA. The AG has delegated that power to the DEA. So, if Obama directed the AG to reschedule, and the AG independently agreed: Voilá! rescheduling would be a reality.

The DEA has been the stumbling block all along.

I personally would like to see a movement to totally defund the DEA, which would take care of a host of problems. Maybe we could start with bumper stickers.:Namaste:
that would be a good place to start , to get the gov. out of debt!!!!!:bravo:

this is so simple. if u want to find out where the stumbling blocks are just FOLLOW THE MONEY. it'll lead u right to the problem.

Actually it must go through the court system to be rescheduled which means it must go through congress. As much as we would like it not to be true, to reschedule we must send lobbyist to congress and that cost money. Do we turn to soros again?

AG is the DA for fed gov.
DEA is drug task force for fed gov.
They do not change laws, they enforce laws.
The president does not make or change laws, he petitions congress.
Congress makes, manipulates, and removes laws.

True ... my friend says the president is useless (to poke fun) but he's right because my friend also pointed out that really all the president does is say yes or no to everything . Congress in reality controls the country .

Back
Top Bottom