Pro-Mix HP & Perlite

Hmm, almost all photos of soiless grows I have seen using Pr-Mix Hp show some perlite?, haven't opened up the bag, maybe there is perlite already mixed.

Yes, especially in veg I use the flood/drought, let it really dry out before watering.

Hello:

Next grow wanted to try just pro-mix hp and mega-crop for nutes. Is there a recommend ratio for the addition of perlite?.

Cheers

Hey man I know this a month old but I added 30% more perilite to each 5 gallon pot last grow with no silica and this grow no added perilite but did add silica and so far happy with the this grow way better it was a NOTICEABLE difference.

The more perilite you add the more aeration and closer to a hydroponic medium u get is all.

And definately keep your ph within 6.1 to 6.5 with PRO MIX HP.
For me personally I cant trust things to buffer PH for me. I trust myself, not nature ‍♂️. The way I look at it that could be a week long fix or a yeild buster and i dont have time to spare when it comes to plants but that's just me.

I'm not familiar with your nutrient choice
I grow with FLORA series from general hydroponics with RO water and I ALWAYS FEED HALF STRENGTH. I have a 300 dollar ph, tds, ec meter and only use the ph part. I'm at half strength throughout the entire grow because Gh flora series is extremely potent. And u can burn your plants if you dont have excessive runoff.

Last grow I did nute nute water nute nute water and got a bit of burn near the end.

I use GROW, MICRO, BLOOM, CAL MAG and then potassium silicate from a company called canna max.
Since pro mix hp is just peat moss and perilite you want to add SILICA as they wont get it any other way. My plants this grow grew 30% bigger in a weeks less time in veg thanks to silica, it's the only thing I changed this grow. Silica is a game changer. Big bushes, strong lateral branches, increased nutrient uptake, more resistant to all diseases.....its a no brainer, once you try it you'll never go back.
And in order to use silica you need PH down Because it raises your ph substantially. But its worth the little bit of effort so this is why I need to maintain a near perfect ph to ensure nothing is locked out and everything is taken up by the plant.

And yoi dont let PRO MIX HP get too dry. Roots need their wet dry cycle for oxygen but this is also considered a semi soiless medium which is bordering hydroponic which means the medium (pro mix hp, can be wet and still have a ton of oxygen due to the peat moss a d perilite being able to hold oxygen better than soil. Also air pots or air pruning pots keep your roots oxygenated. My air pots purning pots have 1 root sticking out per hole in my air pots. Multiple that by 500 holes and you have 500 root tips sucking oxygen at the same time your plants wet.
As long as the top 60-70% of your medium is dry you should be fine.
I grow with 5 gallon air pruning pots and then a bunch of other 5 gallon pots that I drilled about a 500 holes in for cheaper than buying air pruning pots.

I use a water probe as well to pin point exactly where my pro mix hp is wet too.

In flower I give each plant 3 litres every 3 days and 4 days in veg. I get a bit of runoff not much, but save on water and nutrients as well. To make sure I dont get salt buildup with the lack off runnoff I do water, nute, water, nute (on water days i still ph and use silica but no other nutes) and havent had any deficiencies and it's been working for me.

This is the girls 4 days after flip to 1212 havent even started stretching yet. (This picture is 30 days from solo cup to 5 gallon pot. Ive never used a screen ( I have one, but never used it as I have no need, my branches even the lateral ones are so strong they dont snap from massive buds on them) And ive never topped or fimed them to get them to grow short and bushy. That's just genetics, keeping lights close and our friend silica.

Resized_20200411_120124.jpeg

Resized_20200411_120102.jpeg

Air pruning pots, pro mix hp, 3 part nutes and silica is a mean fucking combo.

Good luck promix HP is great it's very versatile that's the reason why everyone has a different way of using it.

Your plants look exceptional. I will add a bit more perlite to the mix when I try out the proMix. Can't see it hurting anything. I am using MegaCrop and so far so good in my current grow, I find with MegaCrop that it will balance out to around 6.2pH if allowed to sit for a day or so, basically no need to buffer at least in a soil-less mix.

One thing I have noticed with fabric pots is that the addition of water seems to allow it to seep out of the pot sides before it hits the bottom of the rootball. So I have to add about 1/3 of the nutrient mix and allow it to soak the first 1/3 of the soil before adding the rest. More of a issue if you let the soil dry out to much.

Yes definatley. I started in fabric pots and bailed for that reason alone.

The air pruning pots do the same thing essentially but 6 on amazon cost 70 bucks for me.

Thats why I opted to just spend 5 bucks for a 5 gallon pot at my local hydro store and drill 4 or 500 holes in it to get the same effect. GL

Thx guys you giving me many ideas . I too just started messing with fabric pots and i love em. I got shit tons of 3 gallon and 7 gallon plastic pots that with the promix and advanced nutrient ph perfect line im wondering about my ph etc too but i notice those fabric pots kick butt and i hear the smart pots do too as well so ill start drillling holes in those 3 n 7 gallon pots soon. Im also wondering about adding more michrorizae after 4 to 6 weeks in each pot maybe ? It has it in it already but doesnt it wash out or dry out between flood and drought waterings? Alot of questions. Im checking into getting a ppm meter with the rh etc its like 22 bucks on amazon the vivosun 1 .

Back
Top Bottom