Pro Poker Players Puffing Pot for Peak Performance

In a recent study conducted by researchers from a Florida university, 80 percent of the poker players who participated in the poll admitted to using some form of performance enhancing drug in order to improve their play with more than a third of the respondents admitting that they smoked marijuana to enhance their poker playing skills.

Participants interviewed in conjunction with the study represent a broad cross section of poker players worldwide – live and online – from the U.S., Canada, Europe and Asia. Invitations to participate in the study were posted on poker-related Internet forums with almost 200 players responding in full to the survey questions. Of those surveyed, 25% professed to being professional poker players with more than a third claiming semi-professional status. The players responded that they took "cognitive and performance enhancing medications" in order to improve their focus and concentration, calm their nerves, stay awake and/or improve memory function.

Of those responding, 28% of the players admitted to taking at least one prescription drug in order to improve their performance at the tables. A full 80% said they took some other form of substance to enhance their play, including caffeine, energy drinks, marijuana, alcohol, nicotine and *******.

Commenting on marijuana use among poker players, many respondents indicated their reasoning for smoking pot. One player was quoted as saying that "marijuana is by far the most safe and effective substance used to aid in poker performance ..." while another admitted "I am a tilt monkey, then I smoke weed. I then stop being a tilt monkey."

Kevin Clauson, Pharm. D., an associate professor at Nova Southeastern University's College of Pharmacy was the lead researcher involved in the study. According to Clauson, "Most people we surveyed are using some kind of a boost in order to play [poker]." He went on to suggest that the use of marijuana and other substance allow players to better focus and concentrate on their game, giving them a competitive advantage. The NSU study seems to indicate a widespread use of substances to enhance players' performance, particularly in higher stakes Texas Hold'em games.

While we're not convinced that smoking pot improves one's poker ability, we're fairly certain that it does increase the consumption of table snacks. As one respondent said, "I know many people who claim they play better on marijuana but I don't believe it." Regardless the benefits or non-benefits of burning a fatty before playing, we'd hate to see things evolve to the point where WSOP bracelet winners are required to undergo drug testing prior to receiving their award. Could you imagine Doyle Brunson being ushered to the men's room at the Rio, surrounded by security and forced to pee in a cup? Actually, we can imagine that ... maybe we're high.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Poker Room Review
Author: Mark Christopher
Copyright: 2010 PokerRoomReview.com - The Online Poker Authority

Back
Top Bottom