Problems with HID light coverage

SirGrowAlot

In a tent 4ft wide, 4ft deep, and 7ft high a 600W MH/HPS light is not covering all of the area. When the light is placed in the middle, there is a considerable amount of space not adequately lite up. This is my problem. I need to add in another light but there are issues with that. If I add in a LED or CFL there is an issue because of the distance they have to be from the light. They would have to be soo much closer than the HPS that they would actually block out alot of the light the other half of tent would have got from them. But then if I go with another HPS I run into heating issues. There is alrdy active exhaust and active intake but temps run about 80. The 600watt mh/hps i got alrdy is dimmable so what I was thinking was dimming it down to 400 and getting another 600watt dimmable mh/hps and putting it down to 400. This would cut down on the heat and also allow good light coverage, am I correct?
Please, if you have any other suggestions, help is gladly welcomed.

Thank you in advance for your help. And btw I want to thank all the great people on this site, I have never seen such a great community.

You can do you two 600w if you get air cooled hoods. I have a 3x5 room with two 600w and the max heat is 84. My other room is also 3x5 and had two 400w. If you are going to dim the ballast to 400, might as well just get a 400w ballast, they are quite a bit cheaper. What size fan are you running? I have an 8" that pulls air from both rooms.

With your room being square, it may be easier to do one bigger light (1000w) in an air cooled hood.

I have not grown with LED's but I have seen plenty of pics where the LED panel is higher than I would have expected. It might line up, but you should wait for someone who knows more about those lights than I do.

With you 8inch fan, do you have it running continuously? Problem is that running Co2 makes you have to decrease the amount of time your fan is going (in between c02 cycles), which decreases on the amount of heat that is taken out of the tent..
What kind of light do you use to sprout your seeds after you have germinated them? I have heard that daylight CFL's are the best, but i figured that a MH would be better?

THx for the input

I have it running continuously, but I also do not have a need (or desire) for co2. The fan exchanges the air about 4 times a minute, so there is never a short supply. I use a low level light that I also use for clones. Two side by side 24w flourescents. One is daylight, the other is warm(?) light. After they start growing true leaves I put them under a 250w cfl (no fan), and about a week after that they are ready for the veg room under the two 400w lights.

Back
Top Bottom