Propane CO2

sully508

ive been using a propane torch on daily basis. i have a heat sheild made of sheet metal which i point towards and circulate the air with fans shut off the exaust fan. it gets up to 1800 ppm. co2.
the torch is safe and the blue flame is adjustable. i couldnt affford the co2 generator. the coleman mini propane stove for camping works also.
these are methods that work, but must never be left unattended!
:welcome:

Re: propane/ co2

i have a wall mounted e-sense CO2 meter.(0 to 2000ppms) looks like a regular thermostat.
i also have one for CO w/ an alarm. its digital and is used for indoor air quality. im lic. in cali and nyc to do iaq. the meters are approx. 250 bucks but well worth it.
i used to do iaq, and microscopy for asbestos, and lead paint in schools and low income housing. i used to work at l.a. unified school dist. as an independent contractor. testing the air.:welcome:
i had alot of cool toys like refridgerant leak meters, gas meters. vacuuum pumps, microscopes. etc.
i was out in cali for 8 years doing iaq.
had to return to the east coast cause my dad had a major heart attack, to help my mom.
man i miss cali.

Sully,

Thats a neat idea but sounds like its sorta dangerous. I use these bags called Exhale CO2 for plants. Organic CO2 that is suppose to last from 4 to 6 mos and cost about $22 a pop. You just hang them around yoru garden or put them in front of a fan that is blowing on yoru garden.

Curious how long will this CO2 last? I have about 30 plants in my grow area so I am looking for some numers here.

yes it could be dangerous if not used properly, or left unattended. but its the same kind of torch plumbers use to sodier copper. you can adjust the flame high to low. you could use the mosquito magnet which gives off co2 also.
this method works for me because my grow room sounds alot smaller than yours. i have 9 plants. 8'x8' is the size. i use the torch as a lighter to smoke joints. its very safe for a smaller grow. dry ice is good also which is co2 in its solid form. but it only temporary. a meter would give you a better idea of how much the bags give off. so you know how much to use. i know they're pricey though.
good luck w/ the co2 bags. some co2 is better than none. ambient air is approx 300ppms
30 plants? you'll be busy. are you doing sog?

That is indeed basically the same as CO2 gene. How often do you fire it up?

Also, and not to jack the thread - but could I hit you up for some advice on re-wiring a mini-split A/C to work with my controller? Either a pm or would you mind poking in my journal in my sig?

:thanks::peace:

yes it could be dangerous if not used properly, or left unattended. but its the same kind of torch plumbers use to sodier copper. you can adjust the flame high to low. you could use the mosquito magnet which gives off co2 also.
this method works for me because my grow room sounds alot smaller than yours. i have 9 plants. 8'x8' is the size. i use the torch as a lighter to smoke joints. its very safe for a smaller grow. dry ice is good also which is co2 in its solid form. but it only temporary. a meter would give you a better idea of how much the bags give off. so you know how much to use. i know they're pricey though.
good luck w/ the co2 bags. some co2 is better than none. ambient air is approx 300ppms
30 plants? you'll be busy. are you doing sog?

Nah not a SOG style. Just bubblers in 5 gallon buckets and they do keep me busy. Good thing keeps me outta trouble! My plants get up to 4 feet or so. Using 1000k lights on rail movers.

I know CO2 is around 300 naturally. My caregiver also uses these bags and he had his air tested it was near 1100 ppm. So I think they work, too bad there isnt a cheap way to test it once or twice just for my own curiousity. If you kow a way then please enlighten me.:)

CGs

i fire it up 1 to 3 times a day. depending on the level of co 2,
and how much escapes out of the air output. i shut off the exaust fan but it will escape through any intake or output hoses throughout the day.
i notice that levels drop quicker when its windy outside.

hi CG try to seal up your air intake and exhaust holes when using the co2 bags. for optimum performance and to save $.
a black poly flap and duct tape could be used seal of holes.
just dont forget to remove them before changing the air.
:peace:

i was trying to find an affordable one but the cheapest is $189.99.
you might as well buy a mosquito magnet unit if you pay that much.
the cheaper ones only measure 0 to 1000ppms.

dry ice is a good way to cool and feed your plants co2.
dry ice is carbon dioxide in its solid form. its 109 degrees below zero. and takes a long tme to evaporate. and its pure co2. perfect for those hot summer days
cheap too

Sully,

Thats a neat idea but sounds like its sorta dangerous. I use these bags called Exhale CO2 for plants. Organic CO2 that is suppose to last from 4 to 6 mos and cost about $22 a pop. You just hang them around yoru garden or put them in front of a fan that is blowing on yoru garden.

Curious how long will this CO2 last? I have about 30 plants in my grow area so I am looking for some numers here.

Interesting, I googled "Exhale CO2" to try andfind this product.. no luck,, could you offer a link to where one may find these items? Has be better that lugging Co2 tanks in and out every week, ;) And cheaper too, if they work?

a google on mosquito magnet. will get you the mosquito magnet page.
a propane torch comes in a package at home depot. its hand held and comes with torch and a propane bottle. burnzomatic brand $30
a co2 meter you would have to order. the cheapest i found was $189. it's portable too w/ a charger.
i googled co2 meters and testing devices. i have a e-sense brand meter that is wall mounted. e-sense is a good brand.
dry ice you can find at any ice and coal supplier.
dry ice accually is about 35 bucks for a 10"x10" block. but will last about 2 days. i hope this helps. fortunately for me, i obtained the meter from the co. i used to work for. they have mini torches also at home depot but the output of co2 is much less. but it depends on the size of your grow room.
i hope this helps you. peace.:welcome:

Interesting, I googled "Exhale CO2" to try andfind this product.. no luck,, could you offer a link to where one may find these items? Has be better that lugging Co2 tanks in and out every week, ;) And cheaper too, if they work?

Sure man the link is Co2cultivator.com. It is a fairly new product and this is the 2nd grow I am using it on and it seems to be working allrite. Both of my specialty garden shops in town here carry this Exhale Co2. My caregiver uses this co2 and loves it. His grow is huge compared to mine so he has over 10 of them in his flower room. I currently use 2 in my flower (10x10 room) and 1 in veg (5x10 room).

There are 2 major drawbacks to Exhale CO2 that i can see so far. First is that one bag will take care of about 6 plants. That is a small number. The second thing is that there is no way to control the output of Co2. Exhale works 24 hrs and runs out in 4 to 6 months (when its completely white it is out).

Sully,

I did try to use dry ice but it started becoming a hassle lugging it around. It also became messy after a couple days. The last thing it took up my precious floor space in my grow room. I was like thats it had to find alternatives and thats when I found Exhale.

CGs:peace:

wow i checked that web site out. that seems like it's so conveient and easy.
just hang and leave them alone? thats awesome
how much ae they? they didnt give a price.
thank CG.:bravo:

Hey, Caregivers, Thanks for the web address.. strange they want you to call to find stores that carry it?
I use the Optimum CO2 system now.. it works very very well.. but having to drag 50lb tanks up and down the stairs sometimes twice a week.. that gets freaking old .. fast! Plus the 15.50 per tank of gas. I Will see if my grow shop buddy will order this in.. would make my life much easier... 4-6 months of CO2 for about 25 bucks.. yeah thats for me!

wow i checked that web site out. that seems like it's so conveient and easy.
just hang and leave them alone? thats awesome
how much ae they? they didnt give a price.
thank CG.:bravo:

Yeah it is nice! Once shop sells for 22 while the other sells for about 25. Yeah thats what I do hang 1 or 2 above my garden a then i have one in front of a fan thats on the ground angled upwards towards the plants. My plants seem to like it.

Glad to share the knowledge TheKiller and Sully. Dragging 50 lbs tanks around def aint for me. Hope this will help your gardens prosper so that you have more time to enjoy the fruits of your labor. :rollit:

CGs

i wonder how it works? to last 4 to 6 mo. thats excellent.
must be the chemical reaction inside the bag that continues to make co2.
id like to try it just to see how much it emits.
i used the propane torch. for 10 min. twice today in the grow room
co2 reading was between 1747 and 1258ppms.
just had circ fans running. but it was hot for a while temp was 89 and went up to 92 for a while. then had to change the air. it was getting to hot.
dropped the co2 to 480 after about 15 min. but also the temp to 81. humidity was 43%. the torch heats the area now that the weather is hotter.

Back
Top Bottom