Push To Decriminalize Pot Snuffed Out

Weedpipe

420 Member
RICHMOND, VA. - It didn't take long for state lawmakers to snuff out Del. Harvey Morgan's effort to decriminalize marijuana possession, with a House panel this week killing both of the Gloucester Republican's pot-related proposals.

Morgan, a pharmacist by trade, said he is disappointed that the bills didn't survive in a legislature with tough-on-crime credentials, but certainly not surprised. What was astonishing, Morgan said, was the mountain of feedback on the bill, which triggered an outpouring of supportive calls and notes and significant attention.

"I cannot believe the response I got," Morgan said, reiterating that he does not condone using marijuana. "Momentum is building."

Morgan credited lawmakers on the House Courts of Justice subcommittee for giving his ideas a "full and fair hearing," but said Virginia's approach to marijuana possession is fundamentally flawed. Morgan's proposal would have turned simple pot possession into a $500 civil infraction – similar to a parking ticket – in large part because he said the scar of a criminal conviction for having marijuana is too harsh.

"This is supposed to be the 'justice' committee, and for the life of me I don't think the punishment fits the crime," Morgan said. "They're prosecutors. They're used to doling out harsh punishments."

Opponents of the bill said the rising potency of marijuana is troubling, and said that they are extremely concerned after watching some states like California awkwardly embracing a laid-back attitude toward pot.

While Morgan's proposals left some lawmakers snickering and trading schoolyard barbs about smoking and smuggling, a number of leading lawmakers are beginning to talk seriously about rethinking Virginia's marijuana policy.

House Majority Leader H. Morgan Griffith leads the panel that killed Morgan's proposals, and Griffith said the ingrained respect for the Gloucester lawmaker helped legislators see past petty jokes.

Griffith, R- Salem, said the idea gained even more weight because Virginia and other cash-strapped state governments are trying to find ways to cut billions of dollars in state spending. Morgan said decriminalizing the drug could save the state $75 million by not arresting, prosecuting and jailing people for marijuana possession. Griffith said he thought those estimates were "a little high, but there are millions of dollars in (potential) savings."

"We have to start talking about it because the costs are substantial, but I don't want to downplay the social costs," Morgan said. "There needs to be some debate in the public. Are we at a point where we want to change our policy on marijuana?"

Morgan said Thursday that he would bring the proposal back again in the future and expects other lawmakers to join the effort.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: Daily Press
Author: Kimball Payne
Copyright: 2010, Newport News, Va., Daily Press

Back
Top Bottom