QC: Police Raid Cannabis Shops In Montreal

Katelyn Baker

On the day after six recreational marijuana storefronts opened in Montreal, police raided several locations.

Montreal police confirmed that at least three locations were raided after 5 p.m. Friday.

Cannabis Culture owner Marc Emery, the self-proclaimed Prince of Pot, was arrested at location at 2200 Mont-Royal Ave. E

In the moments prior to that raid, Emery had instructed customers to leave immediately.

The raids came as many braved the cold, some waiting hours in line, for a chance to buy some pot.

"I'm glad to be here. It's a historical moment," said one customer.

Cannabis Culture, part of the franchise owned by noted pot activists Marc and Jodie Emery, opened Thursday morning, and began selling weed in the afternoon. Lineups lasted clear until closing time and continued Friday.

"The employees are so pleased. The response from the customer is much love, gratitude. People are saying they've been waiting forever for this. It feels safe and open. It's just the way that legalization should be," said Cannabis Culture co-owner Jodie Emery

There are a dozen other locations in the franchise in B.C. and Ontario, and all of them were raided by police soon after opening -- then temporarily closed, and once again re-opened following legal proceedings.
That prompted Jodie Emery to plead with police in Montreal not to raid their stores.

On Thursday Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre said he had "zero tolerance" for the stores selling illegal drugs, and that he had the support of many councillors and borough mayors, including Luc Ferrandez of Projet Montreal.

Some Plateau residents expressed that they were unhappy with the store's opening.

"If I went out there with a sign that said 'selling joints for $5' would I be arrested? Pretty sure I'd be arrested. What is the difference?" said one person who preferred to remain anonymous.

Two locations slated to open, including one on Queen Mary Rd. didn't get the chance due to permit problems.

"And while there's no such thing as a municipal marijuana permit, no matter what you do you need a municipal permit to renovate and change a structure," said city councillor Marvin Rotrand.

Others who work near the stores said they felt they were a boost for business.

"When you see people standing in line with -25 degrees, I think it's a good thing for St. Laurent," said Arthur Degand, who works near that location. "It's going to bring business and people here I guess."

Plateau resident Simon Degand said it's a step toward legalization.

"I didn't come to buy drugs. I came to see everybody standing in line talking about this change," he said.
Current laws stand

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, speaking in Montreal, said that acting as if marijuana was legal was premature.
"Until we've changed the law, the current laws exist and apply," said Trudeau.

The federal government has promised to legalize marijuana and this week a task force provided its recommendations on how to do so.

"We will get this done properly and responsibly because that is what Canadians expect us to do," said Trudeau.
The federal government is expected to table legislation in the spring to allow marijuana to be sold to adults.

image37975.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Police Raid Cannabis Shops In Montreal
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom