Questions on Clones

Chopper

I'm brand new to growing (I've been a consumer for 40 years) and in reading about clones I've come across a few puzzling statements
1) Do all clones somehow become female? I saw mention of keeping a male plant alive to clone...why if it won't become a female
2) If I wait til a plant begins to flower to take clones...just increasing the photo period will stop the flowering and put it back into growth stage? Do I snip off the actual flower?
3) How deeply into flowering time can I go and still pull a clone? I've a couple plants now that are starting to really bud up...popcorn everywhere...trics are just forming, pistils are all still white...getting nice and stinky...Is it too late to clone her?
4) Why can't you clone an autoflower plant?
I know there will be more, but that is it for the moment.
Thank You in advance:thanks: :surf:

1 - No, all clones don't become female. Only clones from female plants are female. I guess you would clone males if you were into breeding and needed more pollen.

2 - Yes, you're right there. I've cloned flowering plants and leaves start growing through the top of the bud. I wouldn't cut just the flower, but the branch like a normal clone.

3 - It's not too late to clone. The longer you are in flowering, the longer it will take to revert back to veg. You'll be fine.

4 - Technically you can clone an auto-flower plant, but it would be pointless. When you take a cutting from a plant, that clone is the same age, and at the same stage as when it came from the mother. Therefore if you cut a clone from an auto-flower, once the mother starts to bud, the clone will begin to bud as well. This is one of the main reasons I don't like auto-flowers. They have their place, but not in my garden.

Good luck on your grow, My Friend. I'm glad to see you're growing your own.

I got forever...I'll pull those cuttings now. Thank You!
and I'll pass on the autoflower as well

Back
Top Bottom