quick question about air stones.

maxamus1

is it ok to scratch the blue stuff off to create more bubbles? not all of it but like to take a knife down the middle or something like that?

Try it with some cheap ones first. About 50 cents at the fish store.

Air stones are a high wear item in my grows. My roots attach themselves to the air stones, and they either break or I just toss them with the roots and plug a new one in. I use the cheapest ones I can buy because the stones break down over time. I have used the big ones but they end up breaking where the air line plugs in and they don't last me any longer. Plus the bigger stones take bigger air pumps, so it keeps adding up.

Not sure what kind of stone you have but wouldn't it be easier just to add a tee and another air stone?

i run 4 10" now. i spent like 20 bucks on air stones my last grow because they stop working in a week or so. almost like they are cloged up or something, so i figured if i scratch the blue stuff off it will work or i hope it will.

i run 4 10" now. i spent like 20 bucks on air stones my last grow because they stop working in a week or so. almost like they are cloged up or something, so i figured if i scratch the blue stuff off it will work or i hope it will.

I'd bet your air pump is not big enough. Thats why I go with the small cheap ones. I can tee them easier and just about any air pump can run a few small stones versus the big ones. I don't think your stones are clogged, they are just under powered. Try playing around with one stone and one pump, or tee two pumps into one stone and see if you get more bubbles. This is pointless but I have stuck an air line w/stone in bucket with a air compressor, talk about bubbles, but can you run an air compressor?? That is why I go with smaller stones, it is easier for all air pumps, and most likely you can always add a tee with another stone.

their is another option but it is a bit expensive. I run these stones from drsfoster&smith, they are huge and require a lot of air. I run 16 of these stones with a 160 l/m commercial air pump. these stones are made of a non corrosive fired aluminum. they will not deteriorate or fall apart. they due get a little clogged if your using organic nutes but they are easy to clean and virtually last forever so if you plan on using them for a long time and not having to replace them they are excellent. and I run two of these stones in each of my buckets and let me tell you one in the bucket puts out more air than four 6,10,or12in regular stones on a standard pump. just thought Id toss that out there incase.

"Discount Hydroponics - OxyStones"

Thank you for the info. I've spent 2 hours messing with this. I went to to your URL & got every thing that I needed. I had checked Walmart, Home Depot, 1000 Bulbs & Amazon. For 1/4 inch dark tubing, the air stones, 6 inch net pots, a black bucket & lid, with shipping this was the best deal. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom