Quickie Question about Autoflowering Plants

Irish,
Everything I've read says no. The early varieties I researched stayed very small and showed sex at 17-21 days, maturing in about 60. The ruderalis in them makes them flower and there's nothing to be done about it. They'll flower w/ 24 hours of light per day.

You can grow a bunch of seeds quickly though.

There are new varieties by MDanzig that can grow to about 3' tall in 60 days - check out sour-60, a diesel variety.
FreakNature

Irish,
Everything I've read says no. The early varieties I researched stayed very small and showed sex at 17-21 days, maturing in about 60. The ruderalis in them makes them flower and there's nothing to be done about it. They'll flower w/ 24 hours of light per day.

You can grow a bunch of seeds quickly though.

There are new varieties by MDanzig that can grow to about 3' tall in 60 days - check out sour-60, a diesel variety.
FreakNature

Yeah, that's what I thought, but it never hurts to ask.

My question was spawned by my conundrum of not being able to find regular seeds for my favorite variety, Aphrodite. All I can find is feminized, autoflowering seeds--and I know they weren't originally autoflowering. Except for this last season, I've had her in my garden for almost 5 years from cuttings off of a friend's mother plant, whom he's kept going for longer than I've been growing her. She grows very tall and very lush--15ft is not an impossibility at all--so I'm concerned about getting feminized, autoflowering seeds that won't let her grow to her full potential in my sunny garden, and that I won't be able to keep a mother of over the Winter.

How do the breeders produce autoflowering seeds anyway?

Heh....and this was supposed to be a *quick* question. *LOL*

Irish,
You may want to research the smoke reports on the autoflowers before going down that road. I have read some very negative reports from extremely harsh to headaches, etc. I thought about trying to grow some until I read several negative reports.

Irish,
You may want to research the smoke reports on the autoflowers before going down that road. I have read some very negative reports from extremely harsh to headaches, etc. I thought about trying to grow some until I read several negative reports.

*nodnod* So my instincts about autoflowering plants were fairly right on for me to feel reserved about starting one, even without knowing a thing about them. I'm definitely going to have to do some research, though I'm fairly certain that I don't want to tread that path.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Autoflowers are sorta like LEDs. They have their place in cannabis cultivation, somewhere. Unfortunately, you cant keep them as mothers because they are irrespective of photoperiod manipulation(whether 12/12 or 18/6 or 24/0). Avg yield for indoors grown AF's dont usually weigh more than 1oz per plant not to mention potency of pure AF's tend to be lacking. Cloning is very difficult as well.
I actually smoked a friends white dwarf, and it was like regs to me. But he was stoked because they stayed very short and compact and were pretty resinous. He actually enjoyed the smoke (which is what matters i guess lol). If you need some decent meds quickly and have a micro cab, then af's are perfect. I've seen them used for outdoor stealth grows too and successfully. But maybe my lil sample was wack cuz I prolly wouldnt invest in 'em.
Autoflowers are very unique because they flower according to their predertermined life cycle. As far as breeding them, i know that Ruderalis genetics were the starting point for almost all the Lowryder/autoflower strains.
Ruderalis? wtf?! i kno, sound weird. But there are actually 3 types of cannabis putative species. We all know indica, and sativa, but ruderalis is the third.

:surf:

Mdanzig just released sour-60, which autoflowers and can grow 3' tall in about 60 days.

"Has many influences in the make-up of the cross. There is Joint_Doctors Deisalryder, Master Kush from Dutch Passion, BOG's Sour Bubble Bx4 purple male, and least but not last Dj Shorts Blueberry."

Autoflowers are sorta like LEDs. They have their place in cannabis cultivation, somewhere. Unfortunately, you cant keep them as mothers because they are irrespective of photoperiod manipulation(whether 12/12 or 18/6 or 24/0). Avg yield for indoors grown AF's dont usually weigh more than 1oz per plant not to mention potency of pure AF's tend to be lacking. Cloning is very difficult as well.
I actually smoked a friends white dwarf, and it was like regs to me. But he was stoked because they stayed very short and compact and were pretty resinous. He actually enjoyed the smoke (which is what matters i guess lol). If you need some decent meds quickly and have a micro cab, then af's are perfect. I've seen them used for outdoor stealth grows too and successfully. But maybe my lil sample was wack cuz I prolly wouldnt invest in 'em.
Autoflowers are very unique because they flower according to their predertermined life cycle. As far as breeding them, i know that Ruderalis genetics were the starting point for almost all the Lowryder/autoflower strains.
Ruderalis? wtf?! i kno, sound weird. But there are actually 3 types of cannabis putative species. We all know indica, and sativa, but ruderalis is the third.

:surf:

I'd never heard of autoflowering before. I remember a friend who came up with a 90 day wonder weed back in the mid-80's--from seed to harvest, 90 days. Never got tall--about 4' max (but a bushy shrub!)--and I think it was a descendant of the good old Mexican Red Hair of the day. Back then I didn't know diddly about light and how it triggered flowering. I just knew that when the days started getting shorter the girls would brace for budding. But I wonder now--could that weed have been ruderalis bred?

It wasn't the stoniest weed in the world, nor was it the highest yield. But it wasn't half bad and had a nice pine and redwood forest taste to it, real green with flaming hairs, and you couldn't complain about the time from seed to harvest. My skunks continually went deep into November before they were ready--my friend was all done and kicking back getting stoned by mid-September, latest. *LOL*

Mdanzig just released sour-60, which autoflowers and can grow 3' tall in about 60 days.

"Has many influences in the make-up of the cross. There is Joint_Doctors Deisalryder, Master Kush from Dutch Passion, BOG's Sour Bubble Bx4 purple male, and least but not last Dj Shorts Blueberry."

I wonder...is that inside or outside?

Sounds like a really sweeeeet breeding done there! :yummy: Sure would like to see some of BOG's beans and Blueberries sprouting in the garden....

Probably estimated from indoor testing...it would be interesting to see what you could do with it outdoors...see how big they'd get in 60-63 days. Since they're auto-flowering you could have sexed plants in the ground at the beginning of spring and 3 weeks from sprout, and be snipping buds 5-6 weeks later.

I recently started growing autos and I am using miracle gro, 200 watt cfl's , and these 1 gallon pots what else do I need and how close do I put the cfl's and how much water do I put in the pots to start off? I have it on a 18/6 light schedule and would I be able to grow with non auto seeds? And how would I Go about it?

Yeah, that's what I thought, but it never hurts to ask.

My question was spawned by my conundrum of not being able to find regular seeds for my favorite variety, Aphrodite. All I can find is feminized, autoflowering seeds--and I know they weren't originally autoflowering. Except for this last season, I've had her in my garden for almost 5 years from cuttings off of a friend's mother plant, whom he's kept going for longer than I've been growing her. She grows very tall and very lush--15ft is not an impossibility at all--so I'm concerned about getting feminized, autoflowering seeds that won't let her grow to her full potential in my sunny garden, and that I won't be able to keep a mother of over the Winter.

How do the breeders produce autoflowering seeds anyway?

Heh....and this was supposed to be a *quick* question. *LOL*
From what I have read you cross a rudy with whatever. than you keep crossing the off spring it takes over 5 generations to get the reg strains to auto. If you think autos don't get you ripped try Onyx its not big but whoa!

I recently started growing autos and I am using miracle gro, 200 watt cfl's , and these 1 gallon pots what else do I need and how close do I put the cfl's and how much water do I put in the pots to start off? I have it on a 18/6 light schedule and would I be able to grow with non auto seeds? And how would I Go about it?

The plants won't hit there full size in a 1 gal. but with the 200w they should be adequate. your plant can be 3" from bulb. your 200w cfl's can produce light strong enough for for optimum growth 2 feet give or take below the light. just make sure you keep the lights fresh and new. for autos you should go 20/4 some grow them at 24. if you start the seeds after the auto starts to bud it should work out.

The plants won't hit there full size in a 1 gal. but with the 200w they should be adequate. your plant can be 3" from bulb. your 200w cfl's can produce light strong enough for for optimum growth 2 feet give or take below the light. just make sure you keep the lights fresh and new. for autos you should go 20/4 some grow them at 24. if you start the seeds after the auto starts to bud it should work out.

Thanks I will defintlely make the changes.

Back
Top Bottom