Ravenplume Grow Journal 2020-02: Video Journal, Wildling Seeds

Alright. A major update at last...

Back on the 8th, Runt was harvested for his pollen, which is now in a Naproxen bottle in the freezer with a few grains of rice as a dessicant. He was replaced with 06. However, 06 did not have much of a root system at the time, and is trying now to recover from a couple recent rains. I have hope for her though, since the Feral Nooblet had a similar watery trauma, but is now recovering nicely inside as a pet project.

Cratchet continues to thrive, as do Wendy, Marvin, and Wonderdog Because of how these are faring, 06 will not be getting replaced if she does not recover. The Feral Wildling little clusters were pulled and tossed, but the two solitaryish ones were taken inside. They will be the subject of another video.

I was also thinking earlier today that seeing how the ferals are just going balls to the walls, I should go ahead and stick a small cluster of 4 or 5 seeds in the ground after the harvest this Fall, and let them grow up naturally. I still plan on tending new babies inside this Winter of course. That is the real experimental time. Hopefully the grow facility in the basement here can be readied once again for use by then.

We had even more decent rain today, so 06's leaves are flattened again, however, it looks like the main stem may be starting to strengthen up. I'll try to remember to get a good pic tomorrow. Need to get in there anyway and get as many of these little non Weed weeds out of there as I can.

And here is the update from last night on the inside plants and how they are coming along.

And now a quick little non video update.

The babies are doing awesome, just like last year. Here is the view from the back deck at the other end of the yard...

RPR-Main Wildlings.jpg

Wildfire is lagging severely behind, but the others there, and it is probably time to give the trio of Wendy, Marvin, and Wonder Dog a trimming up top, and probably prune some lower branches off Wonder Dog as well, seeing how that one is the most dominant of the three.

Also, look what we discovered hidden in the weeds outside the enclosure...

RPR-New Wildling.jpg

We have another feral Wildling. I think this one is going to be dug up and transplanted on the other end of the yard, though at this point in the game, I am not sure if she will even grow enough before flowering to be usable.

This one does appear to be female at least, if I am translating this preflower properly...

RPR-New Wildling Close Up.jpg

That was from holding the camera close to the plant. I still can't seem to get any camera to give a good close up, no matter the resolution.

And now a moment of silence for Bessie, Wendy (renamed Marvin and vice versa) and especially Wonder Dog.

Finally an update, and not a happy one, I am sorry to say.

Three flowered already, and all three were male. And to add insult to injury, two of those were the top two most promising plants as well, Bessie and Wonder Dog. Wendy was the other one (now renamed Marvin while Marvin is the new Wendy). But she was not as lush as Wonder Dog, but was still coming along fine.

Wonder Dog and Bessie were a major blow though. Hopefully, the pollen sacs from these three that are maturing on their branches in jugs of water will be viable, and can be used to pollenate Wildfire, I am guessing that since Tinkerbell, Wildfire, Wendy, and Houdini still haven't flowered that they may be actual girls, seeing how the boys flowered at around the same time, so perhaps females flower a bit later.

At any rate, it looks like this year's yield will be sadly much smaller than last year's (which I have still not finished processing). Fortunately, that should last well to the end of the year and likely beyond. And if I can avoid heavy pollenization of Tink and Wendy, I should have enough to claim a successful grow and dedicate little Wildfire to being my seed bearer for what should be my first baseline new strain. Just debating whether I should use pollen from only one of her brothers, or all of them, with the branches marked which male fertilized her.

If I don't get viable seeds, then I try again next year. That is all part of the learning process

Well, here is how the pollen samples are faring now. I think Wonder Dog's is ready to harvest and freeze until flowering time for Wildfire and the one I was calling Houdini.

Here is how Wonder Dog's is coming along.

RPR-Pollen-Wonderdog-00.JPG

I think his is ready to harvest and freeze now, and his pollen will be the only one I use on the two little ladies (trying to keep the remaining big one, Tinkerbell, pure so I at least have some sort of adequate harvest this year.)

Then we have Marvin's pollen, and Bessie's, which I am reverting back to the plant's original name, Cratchet, and Houdini will assume the Bessie name (just for my record keeping mostly, and something I will go into greater detail if I ever get my NeoCities page up and running.

RPR-Pollen-Marvin.JPG

RPR-Pollen-Bessie.JPG

I think these two will remain on their vines and in their water bottles for a while longer. But now, it is about time to harvest and save Wonder Dog's pollen for later next month. But before I do that, I need to get a definitive yes or no on whether it is fine to just save the pollen sacs as they are, or am I supposed to break them open and just collect the raw pollen?

I don't think I got a definitive answer on that earlier in the year when we were preserving Runt's pollen. So which way is it? Keep them in the sacs, break them open, or does it not matter either way?

And another one bites the dust. Turns out the old Marvin, which I renamed Wendy after the old Wendy had to be renamed Marvin, ended up being a Marvin after all.

RPR-Wendy-Marvin-Purged.JPG

I'm not even saving the pollen from this one, considering he was looking rather sickly anyway.

He has been purged, and now there are three, Tinkerbell, Wildfire, and the new Bessie (which I had formerly called Houdini).

I am trying to keep Tink pure, since she is now our top performer, and best shot at having the most bountiful harvest despite the loss of the old Bessie, Wendy, and Wonder Dog.

Wildfire and Bessie here, if they flower, will be presented for Operation Red Rocket, where they receive Wonder Dog's pollen and become the seed bearers for what should be my first baseline strain.

Here's the BitChute video, since I have not put this on YouTube yet...

RPR-Wendy-Marvin-Purged.JPG

I really do think I can still get a fairly decent harvest off of Tink with plenty of fresh seeds to play with from the other two despite such a huge buttbleep with five males out of this year's grow.

Fortunately, I do have a new indoor grow just getting started, and have plans for another starting some time next month most likely. And with me still having a metric assload of Tardis Lite 2019 to process, I think I am going to be set for a while. Though before the weather starts getting wintery, we should probably go ahead and get a couple ounces at our favorite dispensary, since I do have a budget set aside for that...

I have decided to forgo trying to pollinate Wildfire and Bessie. First of all, I have a feeling I botched the pollen saving completely; not 100% certain, but it is highly likely. I'll post my pollen saving attempt video later, unless I deleted it because it was pointless.

But anyway, after seeing how these beauties are coming in on Wildfire, it would be a crime to violate her with pollen...

RPR - Bud - Wildfire.JPG

Also, it looks like Bessie will be producing a small but not insignificant amount of bud as well I think, though it is not showing as prominently yet.

RPR - Bud - Bessie.JPG

There is still a small possibility I may try to pollenate some of Bessie's branches, if the Wonder Dog pollen I have drying and curing in my desk proves to be salvageable. But otherwise, I do have another grow idea that can continue my push to get my baseline without having to wait another year. But that is another grow journal.

Tinkerbell is definitely looking and smelling wonderful, and should be producing quite a bit of bud, and with a bit of luck, she will remain pure.

RPR - Bud - Tink.JPG

That's all for now. Here is the video version of this, for what it is worth...

Next little update here...

Tink, Wildfire, and Bessie are all looking awesome, and all three are going to produce enough to make up for the loss of at least two of those who had to be purged.

Ravenplume Grow 2020 - 20200911.JPG

Here's a couple shots of Tink's buds...

RPR Update - RPW2019 - 20200912 - Tink Bud-0.JPG
RPR Update - RPW2019 - 20200912 - Tink Bud-1.JPG

The ironically named Wildfire... It's ironic because when I named her, it was simply because I noted the Ferals were growing like wildfire before I took her in. I had no way to know that plague carrying, rioting, fire spitting murder hobos would be burning down the state this Summer.

RPR Update - RPW2019 - 20200912 - Wildfire Bud-0.JPG
RPR Update - RPW2019 - 20200912 - Wildfire Bud-1.JPG

And finally, little Bessie (formerly Houdini). She may be a little lass, but she is producing some nice looking buds on par with Wildfire's.

RPR Update - RPW2019 - 20200912 - Bessie Bud-0.JPG
RPR Update - RPW2019 - 20200912 - Bessie Bud-1.JPG

I still need to take a couple cuttings off Wildfire before it is too late. Just been feeling real lazy lately and don't like being out too long in the wildfire smoke that fills the air here. Also waiting until I can get some rooting hormone from my neighbor, who volunteered to share when I told him about the cuttings I want to do and how I have not had much luck with them yet using the powdered stuff we currently have.

I reckon I could go ahead and keep the cuttings in water, like I am doing with Tink's, until I get around to talking to him. Then at that point, I will likely go ahead and give Tink's cuttings the hormone as well instead of trying to let them root naturally in just water.

Still no sign of roots on Tink's cuttings. I may give them some rooting hormone soon after all.

RPR - Tinkerbell Cuttings - 00.JPG

And I also finally got cuttings from Wildfire, two of them. My neighbor then dipped them in some sort of liquid rooting hormone and suggested that before doing anything else with them, to just keep them in water until they were no longer wilting. He also assured me that the water would not wash the rooting hormone off.

RPR - Wildfire Cuttings - 00.JPG

And sure enough, only about a day later, down in the grow room under the blurple lights, they are looking perky again.

RPR - Wildfire Cuttings - 01.JPG

I didn't get the developing flowers removed though, since I wasn't sure if removing the buds would also remove something vital from the cutting to kill it. I did remove the little flowers along the stem of course. I am also not positive whether or not I should cut off any more of the leaves, or leave them on as shown.

And lastly...

RPR - Wildfire Cuttings - 02.JPG

Of course there are no roots yet. But I was wondering... Should I just leave them in the water down here until they root, or should I plant them in cups of dirt, and then leave them under the blurple lights 24/7 until they root. And if planted, how can I tell when they have rooted?

Back
Top Bottom