Recommended light distance won't work for me?

John Holmes

I read that the recommended distance from light to plant should be around 41cm/16 inches for a 600w. But when i put the lights even close to that my thermometer sky rockets to close to 30C? Ive got good ventilation and all, 2 oscillating fans. I put my hand right above the canopy to feel if it burns but it doesnt, does that make it good to go?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 69
I read that the recommended distance from light to plant should be around 41cm/16 inches for a 600w. But when i put the lights even close to that my thermometer sky rockets to close to 30C? Ive got good ventilation and all, 2 oscillating fans. I put my hand right above the canopy to feel if it burns but it doesnt, does that make it good to go?

I wouldn’t go by a generic distance. Your light manufacturer should have recommended distances for height during various stages. I’d start with that, and fine tune to your liking.

Do you have any advice on how to create a shade? Or where i could put the thermometer cable to get a decently correct number?
A piece of cardboard, under the plants. The problem with where you have your instrument is that you are getting the equivalent of solar gain. Stand in the shade on a bright 70 degree day, and put your hand in the sun. It feels warmer. Plus the glass traps the radiation from the light, like a greenhouse.

A piece of cardboard, under the plants. The problem with where you have your instrument is that you are getting the equivalent of solar gain. Stand in the shade on a bright 70 degree day, and put your hand in the sun. It feels warmer. Plus the glass traps the radiation from the light, like a greenhouse.
Hmm okay, but shouldnt the thermometer be as close to canopy height as possible?

Back
Top Bottom