REP With No REP

At one time, we had the ability to give both positive - green box - REPutation and negative - red box - REPutation. I almost never felt the need to "award" negative REP points and only got one negative, myself. But I think that's how it was.

And then the ability to give out negative REP was removed. I don't have a problem with that; I've found that giving negative REP could be taken as an excuse to "fight" by the person that received it and that using the Report Post option is generally the best bet anyway.

But all I'd ever seen was green and red boxes.

Lately, I've noticed gray ones at the bottom of my User CP where the most recent ones are listed, and they don't seem to increase the "REP total." It looks like in every case they're coming from new members.

I don't care that they're not increasing my total, lol. The fact that they found one of my posts worthy of using the REP function - and often leaving a comment with it explaining - is what counts in my book.

But I wonder if it's an "almost bug" kind of thing? If I remember correctly, those with negative REP cannot give REP out (I could be mistaken). Do new members start with zero REPutation points? If so, that could cause it since the more points a member has, the more he/she awards. If that is the case, maybe you could start members out with one free REPutation point? I wouldn't even call it a freebie, lol. After all, we award them for a positive accomplishment - and I'd consider a person's deciding to join this site and participate way up there....

Again, it's no big deal, I just didn't know if you were aware of it (and if I'm even correct in my supposition).

The only reason that I noticed it is that my User CP usually has a lot of subscribed threads listed on it and I like to acknowledge and thank people who REP me by quickly hitting my End key to drop to the bottom where the latest REPpers are. I'll glance at the total and if it's different than it was last time I checked, I know to visit the REPpers' profile pages and leave my thanks. If the number hasn't changed, I usually hit the Home key to return to the top of the page so I can read subscribed posts or click on the link to the main forum page. I just happened to notice that someone had left a REP/comment after seeing that the number hadn't changed. For all I know, I've missed a few REPs because of the way I do it. I'll have to start paying closer attention to it now.

For anyone that I've missed, thanks for appreciating one of my posts and sorry that I missed you.

Back
Top Bottom