Ronda Rousey Says Fighters Shouldn't Be Tested For Marijuana In Press Conference

Jacob Redmond

The Nevada State Athletic Commission gave Nick Diaz a five-year suspension after testing positive for marijuana use in January, which could end the 32-year-old fighter’s career (but is lighter than the lifetime ban the commission originally wanted). Diaz’s positive test was the third in his career, and after Diaz’s hearing he called the NSAC “a bunch of crooks.”

During a press conference for her upcoming bout with Holly Holm, Ronda Rousey defended Nick Diaz and destroyed the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s policy on drug use.

“I’m sorry, no one asked me anything, but I have to say something. It’s so not right for him to be suspended five years for marijuana. I’m against them testing for weed at all. It’s not a performance-enhancing drug, it has nothing to do with the competition and it’s only because of political reasons they say ‘oh it’s only for your safety to keep you from hurting yourself because you’re out there.’ You know what, then why don’t they test for all of the other things that could possibly hurt us, that we could be under the influence of while we’re out there? There’s no reason for them to be testing for weed.

In athletics, the beautiful thing about it is that it separates everything from politics, it shouldn’t be involved at all. And Nick is a really close and dear friend of mine, so of course I’m going to defend him, but I see it’s so unfair that if one person tests for steroids that could actually really hurt a person, and another person smokes a plant that makes them happy, he gets suspended for five years, whereas the guy who could have hurt someone so much that he could have died in there gets a slap on the wrist.”

16033.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ronda Rousey says fighters shouldnt be tested for marijuana in explosive press conference
Author: Nick Schwartz
Photo Credit: Due North Sports

Back
Top Bottom