Up In Smoke: Nick Diaz Fails To Obtain License To Fight

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Welterweight fighter Nick Diaz has failed to show up for a drug test which makes it impossible for the California State Athletic Commission to grant him a license to fight on the August 15th Strikeforce event.

Diaz who looked very impressive in his last two bouts was scheduled to fight for the vacant welterweight title.

Diaz, a self proclaimed marijuana enthusiast, has a medical marijuana prescription. While that's all well and good, marijuana is still a banned substance under the CSAC rules.

Diaz has tested positive for marijuana in the past, and has even talked about how he can completely flush his system to pass a drug test in ten days.

The August 15th Strikeforce card has undergone some bad luck as it has shed its heavyweight title fight, had Diaz's original opponent Joe Riggs drop off the card, and has also lost its lightweight title holder Josh Thomson.

Strikeforce has tagged TUF alum Jesse Taylor to replace Diaz in a non-title fight against Jay Hieron.

While I'm not against marijuana use for medical or recreational purposes, Diaz should be ashamed that he's put the card in jeopardy and let down his fans.

Diaz was riding high (pun intended) after dismantling Frank Shamrock and Scott Smith, but once again he's gotten in his own way.

The question remains if Diaz will step up and be the fighter many think he can be or if his career will go up in smoke.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Bleacher Report.com
Author: Nate Double
Copyright: 2009 Bleacher Report
Contact: The Web's best destination for sports community, news, opinion, photos, and more | Bleacher Report
Website: Up In Smoke: Nick Diaz Fails To Obtain License To Fight | Bleacher Report

He's got a MJ authorization. He should sue the organization for banning him because of medical neccesity. Or are these ignorant shits afraid he's using it as a performance enhancing drug.lol

that sucks. i was looking forward to watchin diaz fight again. he always puts on a good show.

Diaz is a badass, has a nice size fan base, (im a fan before i knew he smoked)the promoters know hes a talent and will help draw in #s. im sure he will have other opportunities to fight again, but it really is a shame that their gonna take away his paycheck cause he smokes some weed to relieve pain. what a pitiful reason not to let a man earn a living. bastards

Diaz is great, I've been a fan since the bad blood with Karo Paresian.

I don't think it's necessarilly fair for the media to assume the reason he didn't show up for the test. Could be a contract dispute or personal reason - who knows.

Mad props to Diaz for being an out of the weed closet spokesman for our cause

yea i'll support diaz, he should totally sue those backwards douches! Pretty sure mmj wouldn't help a person fighting lol.

Back
Top Bottom