Root trimming & pruning

Coldsmoke

Morning, opinions on something suggested to me. I have 2 plants in 3 gal containers in a 27.5 x27.5x63 tent. Roots are poking out the bottom, light is keeping them inside for the most part. From the top approximately 2 inches down are tiny roots all the way to the edges and is kinda pulling the dirt away from the sides. Plants are little over 6wks and close to flower time. On the fence transplanting to anything bigger because of my tent size. Someone suggested to me to try cutting roots on all sides 1” in, cutting 2” in off the bottom and repacking same containers with fresh dirt. It doesn’t sound toocrazy to me, I have done similar things with tomato plants. Anyway lots of stress to the plant obviously, what would anyone suggest to feed plant after this? I’ve been on a regular schedule with FF trio so far. Plants are only 14in tall, had some growth issues early on. Not getting much stretch, lots of bushy new growth though. Any ideas appreciated.

25F71578-4288-42F6-BCD2-482DCC2ED631.jpeg

558C96FC-1011-4B99-AE51-0E373C6EE366.jpeg

Someone suggested to me to try cutting roots on all sides 1” in, cutting 2” in off the bottom and repacking same containers with fresh dirt.

If you do, and that not insignificant volume is full of roots, be sure to cut an equally not insignificant portion off of (the above-ground portion of) your plant, too, to balance it.

I've done mother plants that way, but not ones I was getting ready to flower.

If you do, and that not insignificant volume is full of roots, be sure to cut an equally not insignificant portion off of (the above-ground portion of) your plant, too, to balance it.

I've done mother plants that way, but not ones I was getting ready to flower.
2in off the bottom, your thinking from the stalk down remove a 2in layer off the top, all the way around to even it up?

I didn't bother the top, just the bottom and sides. Again, see post #2; I didn't do this to plants I was getting ready to initiate flowering on. But it might be okay, as long as you remove an equal proportion of greenery at the same time. Otherwise... plant produces a mass that it is able to feed with the roots it has; if you remove the latter without doing the same thing to the former, I would not expect good things to happen.

I agree with TS. I find that I like to thin the top too if I have to do root maintenance. As above so below and vice versa. Good luck brother.
Thxs, little nervous.
I didn't bother the top, just the bottom and sides. Again, see post #2; I didn't do this to plants I was getting ready to initiate flowering on. But it might be okay, as long as you remove an equal proportion of greenery at the same time. Otherwise... plant produces a mass that it is able to feed with the roots it has; if you remove the latter without doing the same thing to the former, I would not expect good things to happen.
Maybe I best just make 2 5gal pots fit in the tent lol.
Just up-pot stop messing with roots.

Look up root apical meristem.
good read Thxs, just up sizing pots. Easy enough. Good plan.

I’d just leave them, or up-pot if you feel you can. I can’t see that chopping roots off is going to gain you anything. A plant can be pretty happy in a tiny pot it just needs to be fed/watered more often.

6 ft tall La Niña in 3 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom