Ruderman Questions Christie's Treatment

Truth Seeker

The way the federal government is treating a Big Island man who has been in federal custody for three years is outrageous, a Hawaii Island senator says.

Sen. Russell Ruderman, D-Puna, and Sen. Wil Espero, chairman of the Senate's Public Safety, Intergovernmental and Military Affairs Committee, visited Roger Christie Wednesday morning at the Federal Detention Center in Honolulu. Ruderman said it took weeks of requests before federal officials would grant the visit, and officials imposed a number of conditions, including not allowing any media to attend. Ruderman said he questioned whether Christie's constitutional right to a speedy trial was being ignored.

Federal officials say Christie poses a danger to the public.

"Roger Christie is being treated as though he is the most dangerous person in our community," Ruderman said. "He's not."

Ruderman said he asked Christie Wednesday if he would start selling marijuana again, if released.

"He will not restart his ministry," Ruderman said. "He will focus on his upcoming trial. That's all he wants to do."

Christie is in incredibly good spirits, Ruderman said, especially considering how long he has been incarcerated.

"He very much feels he's doing what he's supposed to do," Ruderman said. "He considers winning this trial his mission in life."

Federal officials arrested Christie in June 2010 and charged him with conspiring to manufacture and distribute marijuana. Ruderman introduced two measures, Senate Concurrent Resolution 75 and Senate Resolution 42, urging the federal government to release Christie on bail pending his trial.

"Holding a defendant without bail, while denying his constitutional right to a speedy trial, is unheard of in our state," Ruderman wrote in testimony supporting his resolutions. "Even repeat offenders of crimes such as large-scale distribution of (methamphetamine), violent criminals, rapists and murderers are routinely released on bail pending trial. Is Roger Christie, whose alleged crime is distribution of marijuana to medical patients with a permit and those claiming a religious right to use marijuana, a greater danger to society than offenders such as these?"

Ruderman said he has known Christie for 25 years.

"While I would not endorse his distribution efforts, I cannot see how such activity justifies being held without bail," he said. "To all of us who know him, the claim that he is a danger to society is so absurd as to be laughable – if only it weren't being used in such a tragically flawed effort to keep a citizen incarcerated without trial. Roger Christie deserves to be released on bail, just as much as any other nonviolent offender."

A pretrial report recommended Christie be released on $50,000 bond. Eleven other defendants arrested at the same time as Christie were all released on bail, Ruderman said.

A message left on Ruderman's cellphone seeking additional comment was not immediately returned Wednesday.

Sen. Gil Kahele, D-Hilo, said he has also known Christie for years, since Kahele served on the Hawaii County Police Commission in the 1980s. Back then, Christie would attend commission meetings and advocate for decriminalizing marijuana. Kahele said he couldn't comment on the federal charges, but he did question the trial delay.

"I believe in a speedy trial," Kahele said. "He should be brought to trial, as soon as possible. Give Roger Christie his day in court."

In a motion filed last month in U.S. District Court in Honolulu, federal attorneys argued the benefits of extending the trial date to July outweighed Christie's and other defendants' right to a speedy trial for several reasons, including that the case is "so complex" because of "the existence of novel questions of fact or law (specifically, those dealing with RFRA (Religious Freedom Restoration Act) that it is unreasonable to expect adequate preparation for pretrial proceedings or for the trial itself within the time limits established by the Speedy Trial Act."

The state Department of Public Safety testified against Ruderman's resolutions, repeating federal concerns that releasing Christie on bail would pose a threat to the community.

Sen. Josh Green, D-Kona, noted state Senators tried this session to advance a bill to decriminalize marijuana possession. The bill had stalled, but Green said there was a chance it may begin moving again. He said he had no formal opinion on Christie's incarceration.

Sen. Malama Solomon, D-Kohala, Kona, did not respond to a cellphone message and inquiry Thursday.

Ruderman, in his written statement, said he also had been concerned about Christie being denied visitors.

Roger_Christie1.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: westhawaiitoday.com
Author: Erin Miller

Aloha,
It is very rare these days that I would go through my email address book looking for people who are likely to be in support of a Big Island resident who has been detained without trial for nearly 3 years. (It is not my intention to cause anyone offense so I hope none is taken).

Most of you will know that man I'm referring to is Roger Christie. Whether you agree with his views and actions or not, I believe that it is unlikely that you or anyone else I know would condone this flagrant disregard for his Constitutional rights.

Since his arrest in July 2010, a judge has denied Roger bail 8 times. The reason given each time is that he 'is a danger to the community.' In this time we have witnessed those accused of rape, murder and trafficking of methamphetamines be granted bail.

Roger Christie has been denied contact with reporters fromNational Geographic, Newsweek, Honolulu Civil Beat, and others. Roger has also been denied visits from his wife Share Christie for nearly a year.

Thanks to Senator Russell Ruderman our island representative, who has proposed a resolution to ensure that Roger is granted bail for the remaining months until his trial date. Senator Ruderman stated this week, "I have known Roger for over 25 years. He is one of the most peaceful persons I know. To anyone who knows him, the claim that he is a danger to the community is absurd."

Senator Ruderman and this resolution needs your support and it will only take a few minutes of your time. A few sentences or a paragraph will do it. THIS TESTIMONY MUST BE FILED ONLINE BY 10 AM TUESDAY APRIL 9

Thank you for your time - especially to those of you who usually avoid getting involved in Government processes!

For those of you with Facebook accounts, attached is a graphic that you can post on your page. Feel free to share this with facebook friends or those on your email lists.

I'm also attaching an image of a portrait of Roger currently hanging in Hilo's East Hawaii Cultural Center. The portrait is by a celebrated island artist Ken Charon.

To help, please go to the link below and follow the easy steps as directed:

To email support for SR42, go to: Measure Status
To email support for SCR75 go to: Measure Status

On behalf of Roger Christie, his friends and family, thank you very much.

Here is the wikipedia entry for Roger Christie: Roger Christie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an article published this week in our local paper about Russell Ruderman's visit to Roger in the Honolulu Federal Prison:
Lawmakers visit pot minister in jail | Hawaii Tribune Herald

p122654

"...a threat to the community..",
The threat is such that Tourism could be affected. The 'powers that be', are always concerned about tourism, and the image Hawaii has promoted. The community, of commercial concerns, would not be threatened, by this man, had Prohibition been dissolved in the other States. One also needs to consider Hawaii is a gateway for other serious drugs from the near, far east and Orient.
The reverse could be said, if unscrupulous individuals were to export(Mj) from Hawaii to those same eastern countries.
No doubt there exists competitors on both sides of the 'legal' and nonlegal, with Political connections all the way to D.C. whom are involved with keeping this man "a threat to the community". IMO, the only way to have this sort of thing from happening over and over is the legalization of the product elsewhere in sufficient States to threaten the tourism numbers in Hawaii, then the 'commercial concerns', will change their tune.

STRONGLY SUPPORT S.R. 42

Hello Senators of the Judiciary Committee,

Aloha to thee. Share and I STRONGLY SUPPORT you to PASS the Senate Relolution "urging the federal government to grant Roger Christie [ me ] bail until trial", or better. We give thanks in advance to God for the success of this unusual and necessary action to refresh our Constitutional Right to reasonable bail, and to restore confidence in the judicial system.

We thank Senators Sam Slom and Russell Ruderman for their statesman-like approach in drafting the Resolution and respecting the Constitution above all other political obligations. We urge the Chair, Vice Chair and other Judiciary Committee members to vote for the Constitutional Right to reasonable bail for me - and for all of us. 'My rights are your rights' and those of your family, your friends, your neighbors. If we want a viable Constitution to pass down to our children we need to exercise and respect it when it's being challenged as it is now. "We the people" and you, our State Senators, need to send a message to the federal government that they derive their power ONLY from the consent of those they govern. "Silence equals consent" and we will not be silent and we will not consent to their abuse of power in this case.

After operating the THC Ministry for approximately ten very happy and complaint-free years in the heart of downtown Hilo I was arrested along with my wife, two secretaries and some of our members; the Green Fourteen. Thankfully, all my other co-defendants were released within 48 hours on a simple signature bond. We all pray and intend for victory in this case.

Imagine my surprise in being arrested and repeatedly denied bail as "a danger to my community" based on false characterizations after being told by the U.S. Attorney - twice, Hilo's D.E.A. Agent, and a U.S. District Judge (on-the-record) that I could proceed with my THC Ministry activities. H.P.D. Vice Officers visited the THC Ministry and told me that my ordainment and state license to marry people as a "Cannabis sacrament" Minister was legitimate and that I could distribute Cannabis, "Just keep it private", they said.

In order to marry people with Cannabis sacrament I needed to cultivate or to acquire some, I needed to possess it, to transport it and to distribute it during the ceremony. All the very things I'm being prosecuted for. And all the very things law enforcement repeatedly told me I was allowed to do.

I'm a practitioner, legally allowed to administer a controlled substance in the course of my professional practice. My ordainment is to God to serve my community with a therapeutic Cannabis Ministry. We make the holy anointing oil of Moses with the original sacred recipe that includes Cannabis as the 'fragrant cane' according to three Hebrew dictionaries. Anoint = Christ = Messiah. My license is legitimate and it's good for life. "Marrying people is the essence of state power" according to a recent statement by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony M. Kennedy. I claim a 10th Amendment defense, also a defense of estopple, a religious defense, a defense of necessity to provide for medical marijuana patients, and a defense of laches as I was allowed to operate unmolested by law enforcement for over nine years.

My confidential legal mail is routinely and illegally opened without my permission. Is it copied and sent to the prosecutor? My fundamental religious rights are routinely denied here in FDC. The Chaplain refuses to meet with me, month-in, month-out. He refuses to process my paperwork to be recognized as a "new or unusual religion", year after year.

I understand that I'm the most responsible party in this case as I've been as close to the frontlines of the 'war on marijuana' as I could possibly get for over 27 years. My message has been consistent throughout; Cannabis hemp, or 'marijuana' is very good; the war or prohibition of Cannabis hemp is very bad. It turns out that the 'devil's weed' is actually the 'tree of life'. That might take a little getting used to, but it will be done because it's now provable. Substitute the word 'cannabinoid' for 'marijuana' and start your search on Google. Three U.S. Patents have been granted for cannabinoids in medical marijuana recently, the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2012 was for cannabinoids to PREVENT disease, etc., etc.

Please know that I want to go home for the cause of justice, not for my personal comfort. I'm here for a principle that needs to be won for me, for the THC Ministry, and for all people who value the guarantee of religious liberty for now and forever.

When we were arrested I went into prayer; God, that's great! Please show us the blessings in THIS situation ... and hurry! We are safe, we are loved and all is well. Mahalo and aloha.

All the very best to everyone!

With love and respect,

Roger and Share Christie

The Hawai'i Cannabis THC Ministry

www dot THC-Ministry dot org
www dot The-Last-Marijuana-Trial dot com

Sounds like my kind of religeon. Something NEW has to change this world, and FAST.

That NEW is the old human companion cannabis. It disturbs our deepest religeous sensibilities that we achieve God's plan for our lives with greater guidance from a beautifully benign utopiate, than the voice of a pastor, the wisdom of ancient texts or the prayers into the abyss. Everytime I have taken communion, I have been filled with absolutely nothing.

Cannabis has given me greater communion with God, than any sacrament or Bible study group.

I am pulling down the veil. Cannabis is to Alcohol as Jesus is to Satan.

Back
Top Bottom