SA Government To Boost Penalties For Cannabis

Herb Fellow

South Australia -Penalties for cultivating cannabis hydroponically . . . . . . will be drastically increased under proposed new legislation. The Government's aim is to curb the trade in very strong cannabis . . . ..

Attorney-General Michael Atkinson said there was now a general agreement that cannabis produced hydroponically had a much higher THC content than cannabis grown normally. "To make the production of hydroponically grown cannabis an expiable offence is a nonsense," Mr Atkinson said.

Under the Bill to be introduced to State Parliament today (Thurs), cultivating cannabis hydroponically will carry a maximum penalty of $2000 and/or two years' jail. "People don't realise just how strong hydroponically grown cannabis is," he said. The current expiation fee for having one cannabis plant grown outdoors is a $300 on-the-spot fine - while growing one plant hydroponically currently results in $500 expiation notice.

If a person is convicted of a drug related crime and has possession of a firearm then both drug and firearm offences will have to be serviced cumulatively.

Source: The Advertiser
Copyright: 2008, The Advertiser
Website: AdelaideNow... SA Government to boost penalties for cannabis, amphetamine production

I think we should check records and see who just met with him from the U.S. DEA.

I would be embarrassed to sound so stupid in a press release if I were the Attorney General. If he would have asked any botanist, they would have told him potency it is 99% strain, not hydro or soil, or indoor or out. Percentage of the plant weight is a different story, but the potency is determined by the strain of the plant, not how or where it is grown.

Someone needs to write a letter to all the papers in the opinion column (If they will print it) The letter should just state the facts and ask him to comment.

Back
Top Bottom