ScrOG Or Tie Branches Down?

Greetings and salutations, I hope you are all well.

I have a question regarding my next outdoor grow. Yes, yes, I know it's not for another several months, but that won't stop my brain from creating a plan.

My goal is to train the plant in a way that it becomes a long, low table.

Essentially, I want it to grow about 3 ft tall before I bend it over, and keep bending it as it grows. I won't be topping it, as I want the biggest plant possible. I will be utilizing some 4x4 posts, and some wire mesh for a screen, or tie off points.
I will provide my crude illustrations to give a visual of my idea.

My question is, should I grow the plant under the mesh and use it as a ScrOG, or grow the plant above the mesh, and just spread it out and tie down the branches as they grow?

Plant will be on the South wall, bending it toward the West side, allowing lots of exposure to the plant.

PicsArt_11-20-12.40.55.jpg

I want the plant to be shaped like this, regardless off methods to get there. On top, I can use less posts, by making them into T-Posts to keep the mesh spread and secure. Growing under as a ScrOG would use the most material, but it would be very secure.

PicsArt_11-20-12.43.02.jpg

ScrOG would look good, as I'd have a nice level table of colas.

I'm lazy, so it's not appealing to have to come out and fiddle with the plant several times per day. If it's the best choice, then it's the right choice.

Greetings and salutations, I hope you are all well.

I have a question regarding my next outdoor grow. Yes, yes, I know it's not for another several months, but that won't stop my brain from creating a plan.

My goal is to train the plant in a way that it becomes a long, low table.

Essentially, I want it to grow about 3 ft tall before I bend it over, and keep bending it as it grows. I won't be topping it, as I want the biggest plant possible. I will be utilizing some 4x4 posts, and some wire mesh for a screen, or tie off points.
I will provide my crude illustrations to give a visual of my idea.

My question is, should I grow the plant under the mesh and use it as a ScrOG, or grow the plant above the mesh, and just spread it out and tie down the branches as they grow?

Plant will be on the South wall, bending it toward the West side, allowing lots of exposure to the plant.

PicsArt_11-20-12.40.55.jpg

I want the plant to be shaped like this, regardless off methods to get there. On top, I can use less posts, by making them into T-Posts to keep the mesh spread and secure. Growing under as a ScrOG would use the most material, but it would be very secure.

PicsArt_11-20-12.43.02.jpg

ScrOG would look good, as I'd have a nice level table of colas.

I'm lazy, so it's not appealing to have to come out and fiddle with the plant several times per day. If it's the best choice, then it's the right choice.
Hello @GeOMaTTiC hope you are well today.
I'm excited about next summer also.
Why don't you try one of each see what is best.
Otherwise proper training of branches and spreading branches out is best.
I trained topped and spread this Jher.
She was a beast.
Stay safe.
Bill

A84DD825-F008-4B2A-AAE3-27EF6F1D6971.jpeg

7B13102B-8954-4080-8315-082635E213FE.png

Hello @GeOMaTTiC hope you are well today.
I'm excited about next summer also.
Why don't you try one of each see what is best.
Otherwise proper training of branches and spreading branches out is best.
I trained topped and spread this Jher.
She was a beast.
Stay safe.
Bill

A84DD825-F008-4B2A-AAE3-27EF6F1D6971.jpeg

7B13102B-8954-4080-8315-082635E213FE.png
That certainly didn't end up being a little guy. Nice plant.

I plan on running two photos outside, the one will be trained to keep it low, and the other will be grown out to be as big as possible, only to prove to people that I can actually do it, just choose not to.

I do have another plan for the following year, which was going to be a ScrOG, but if trained branches are the only concern, it would be easier to just tie them down, that way I can miss a day if I go out of town, and not incur any penalties.

PicsArt_11-01-03.27.22.jpg

The South wall is on a hill, so I can use the slope to my advantage. Hence why it's Soo tall, and not horizontal. I thought about do that this year, and the big beast then year after, but I think I'll use this design next year, and run all 4 plants outside.

I'm going to try a ScrOG indoors soon, so I can use that to help decide if it's worth while outside.

That certainly didn't end up being a little guy. Nice plant.

I plan on running two photos outside, the one will be trained to keep it low, and the other will be grown out to be as big as possible, only to prove to people that I can actually do it, just choose not to.

I do have another plan for the following year, which was going to be a ScrOG, but if trained branches are the only concern, it would be easier to just tie them down, that way I can miss a day if I go out of town, and not incur any penalties.

PicsArt_11-01-03.27.22.jpg

The South wall is on a hill, so I can use the slope to my advantage. Hence why it's Soo tall, and not horizontal. I thought about do that this year, and the big beast then year after, but I think I'll use this design next year, and run all 4 plants outside.

I'm going to try a ScrOG indoors soon, so I can use that to help decide if it's worth while outside.
Sounds good.
Wish we could start right now. Hehe
Stay safe.
Bill

I'll be starting soon enough. Minimum 2 month veg before mine are going outside.
I ran a perpetual grow with about 40 or so plants in the veg room.
I'd pick the biggest & best start training in March (just the main two).
By the time I moved them outside they were already flying.
Stay safe.
Bill

I really like your inclined scrog, let's build on that idea! What do you think of a conical scrog, like this but more of a broader incline than a steeper one...

Daysignal-conical-shape-net-type.jpg
Think bigger.
Take snow fence posts and peg 6 or 8 around her couple-three feet out.
Wrap that with heavy twine.
Then pull the branches through as they grow.
Works very well.
Stay safe.
Bill

The fencing from now peavey mart with the approximate 4 inch squares works great around monsters supporting the first 4ft of branches.
There is a Peavey Mart in our little town.
Never herd of it before yesterday.
That's two people in the same day mentioned it.:laugh:
I'll have to check it out.
Stay safe.
Bill

I really like your inclined scrog, let's build on that idea! What do you think of a conical scrog, like this but more of a broader incline than a steeper one...

Daysignal-conical-shape-net-type.jpg
I have a plan to end up with something similar to that in the end. I have some small stackable garden trellis things I bought off Amazon. I want to space them out around the plant, then tie the branches to it as it grows out. I think it would work great when using small lights indoors, as the sides of the plant usually get less light, this would bring them up closer to the light a bit.

I have a plant to end up with something similar to that in the end. I have some small stackable garden trellis things I bought off Amazon. I want to space them out around the plant, then tie the branches to it as it grows out. I think it would work great when using small lights indoors, as the sides of the plant usually get less light, this would bring them up closer to the light a bit.
Are you going to do this outside?
Or inside your grow room?
Stay safe.
Bill

Are you going to do this outside?
Or inside your grow room?
Stay safe.
Bill
The small trellis idea will be done inside on a small plant. If it works well, it could easily be repeated outdoors with some bamboo sticks, but I think it would be a better option for indoors. Again, when going for small plants.

I am going to build a few wire mesh setups for growing one big plant indoors, instead of using a ScrOG netting, or massive amounts of long string from tying branches down to the planter.

I have two designs I want to build, and one will be used outdoors next summer. In my head it seems like the absolute perfect way to grow outdoors, but we will see soon enough if it's worth it, and even feasible.

The small trellis idea will be done inside on a small plant. If it works well, it could easily be repeated outdoors with some bamboo sticks, but I think it would be a better option for indoors. Again, when going for small plants.

I am going to build a few wire mesh setups for growing one big plant indoors, instead of using a ScrOG netting, or massive amounts of long string from tying branches down to the planter.

I have two designs I want to build, and one will be used outdoors next summer. In my head it seems like the absolute perfect way to grow outdoors, but we will see soon enough if it's worth it, and even feasible.
Think bigger.
Take snow fence posts and peg 6 or 8 around her couple-three feet out.
Wrap that with heavy twine.
Then pull the branches through as they grow.
Works very well.
Especially if you're going to be outside.

Back
Top Bottom