Seed popped shell still on

BobbyLove

Hello All,
I got some help with this question from snowbender and wannabgreen, but I figured in this forum I may get some more helpful tips as I am a noob.

One seed popped up but the shell is still on should I try to remove it? Or will it come out on its own. Additionally, the top of the plant is bending toward the dirt and the stem seems to be twisting (like a corkscrew). I think the bending is due to the heat, well thanks in advance, here are the specs:
Strain - Indica/Sativa
# of Plants - 2
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - just popped
Bucket Size - 1.5 gallon covered with saran wrap.
Lights - (4) 42 Watt (150 watt output) CFL 6500k & (4) 24 Watt (70 watt output) CFL 2400k. 16,000 lumens Max.
Nutrients - Super Thrive, GHydro when it veges.
Medium - 75% MG Organic .5-.5-.5 25% perlite.
PH - 6.5
Room Square Footage - DR60 15.6" x 15.6" x 4 ft.
Pests - None Known
Small fan (just put in)

HA! funny i germinated sum bag seed the other day and i woke this morning to the SAME situation! i tried to 'remove' the shell off the colyons but the shell wasnt cracked enough and was on there tight enough that i woulda damaged the seedling.
im sure if you 'help' a callipillar* emerge from her cocoon, youre accually 'hurting' her in the long run, because her wings wont be as strong if she worked it herself.

im leaving it to nature.

If you can spare the seedling, I would just trash it and germ another one. I see it as survival of the fittest and that's what I do. But if not, then use an exacto knife to help pry the shell casing.

I forgot to mention the clear lining when you pull the shell off. That clear lining is just like having the shell on, and could prevent the seedling from surviving. So you would need to cut that off too and allow the starter leaves to open up.

With germination, you want high humidity. But be careful about the humidity and mold.

put a drop of water on the stuck husk and by the time it's evaporated, the husk will be softened and slip off much easier.

If it doesn't slip off easy, put another drop of water on and try it again. Sometimes, once it's softened up, the seedling can finish the job by itself, but otherwise just help it gently.

Leave that shell alone bro'. It will fall off when it's ready to. Let it do it's thing. There's nothing wrong with the bean. You have gotten it above ground, you are on your way now. Sometimes we tend to overprotect our babies,,,patience my son.:welldone::ganjamon:

I wouldn't wait over 12 hours for a sprout to shed it's seed husk before intervening.

The sprout has a limited amount of energy, and a lot of it is spent breaking ground. If it has to expend more energy in struggling with a stuck husk, without being able to gain energy by spreading it's cotyledons, it's probably not going to reach it's potential down the line.

The first few hours of a plant's life are critical and can determine what your yield is going to be.

Hey,who am I to argue with a 420 Support person? In my 30 years of gardening, I've never had the problem of a shell affecting the overall growth of mj. My experience tells me to leave it alone. Wonder who the shell remover is for those millions of plants gowing outdoors? You will get lots of opinions on this forum. It's up to the grower to sort through them. Good Luck:peacetwo:

Hey,who am I to argue with a 420 Support person?

There's a difference between arguing and exchanging opinions. I don't think we're arguing, and I'm open to hearing your experience.

In my 30 years of gardening, I've never had the problem of a shell affecting the overall growth of mj.

I've seen stunted growth in plants that had a stuck seed husk or other sprouting problems. Sometimes they catch up to the other plants, sometimes they don't.

My experience tells me to leave it alone. Wonder who the shell remover is for those millions of plants gowing outdoors?

Nobody, but nature is harsh and the weak often don't make it. That's how natural selection works so that future generations will have less sprouts with stuck husks.

You will get lots of opinions on this forum. It's up to the grower to sort through them. Good Luck:peacetwo:

absolutely ;)

Thanks for your comments setting sun. You are absolutely correct. I will definately think long and hard on any future posts made.:welldone::thanks::peacetwo:

No matter the question, the answer lies in these discussion boards, and since they all have helmets half will get some help getting the helmets off, and half can wear it to harvest:thumb:

Just curious, how deep did you plant the seeds?

The seed husk usually comes off as the sprout pushes through the dirt on it's way up, so I've noticed that planting seeds 1/2" deep helps to prevent it from happening.

You wouldn't want to go deeper than that though, because they only have so much energy stores to get to the surface.

I agree setting sun, it does seem to make a huge difference as to how deep the seed is planted. Anything deeper than a half inch is likely to have problems poking their heads out.:tokin:

Back
Top Bottom