Seed question

usernamex

Cant find the answer anywheres so I'll ask here.

If you growing a plant for its seeds, when can the seeds be harvested, how can you tell?

:thanks:

They will either fall out or ur looking for the dark color seeds some maybe even have stripes on them. Main thing is put the seed between ur thumb and middle finger add slight pressure if it does crack then GERM that bitch. LOL

So grow the plant till the seeds fall out?

Ok...you know you need a male and a female plant to get seeds. When the seeds are ready for the following harvest they with start to fall off. At that point you can pick them and shake the seeds out or put something around the plant to catch the seeds. If taken off green they will not grow. If the plant is outside the birds will eat them.

Ok...you know you need a male and a female plant to get seeds. When the seeds are ready for the following harvest they with start to fall off. At that point you can pick them and shake the seeds out or put something around the plant to catch the seeds. If taken off green they will not grow. If the plant is outside the birds will eat them.

OK first part of your answer is like asking where babies come from : ) Thanks for the rest of the info, its exactly what I was looking for.

You happen to know about how long of a process this is, currently seeds are looking rather large, I'd say they've been forming 3 weeks or a little more.

The bigger the seed the better IMO. I remember watching a video on youtube with jorge cervatas. He explains the whole thing of how to tell the difference between good and bad seeds and even different ways to collect seeds from plants. Pretty sure it was the ultimate grow dvd or maybe it was ultimate grow 2 can't remeber atm.

OK first part of your answer is like asking where babies come from : ) Thanks for the rest of the info, its exactly what I was looking for.

You happen to know about how long of a process this is, currently seeds are looking rather large, I'd say they've been forming 3 weeks or a little more.

4 weeks is a good minimum.

Sometimes longer, seldom shorter.

DD

The bigger the seed the better IMO. I remember watching a video on youtube with jorge cervatas. He explains the whole thing of how to tell the difference between good and bad seeds and even different ways to collect seeds from plants. Pretty sure it was the ultimate grow dvd or maybe it was ultimate grow 2 can't remeber atm.

Forgot about jorge cervatas's DVD's. Already had the 2nd DVD, Just got the 1st one and it was on there! Thanks!

He does get into what makes a viable seed, but not how to grow your own. Going to get the third one in the series and see if it has more info, thanks again!

The bract containing the seed will start to split showing a small portion of the seed. What you are looking for is dark color. If you see dark brown or black chances are the seed is viable and ready to be harvested.

I always just pick the plant when it's time to harvest the bud. I do not recommend "shaking" the plant to get the seeds out. Dry the plant normally. Do not try to pick the seeds out when you manicure. If they fall out so be it. Collect the seeds while preparing the bud to smoke. If you want to use them right away, I would say wait 3 months after harvest is a good time period. If you want to save them, put them in a air-tight container or zip-lock bag in a dark cool place. Remember to identify them. If you do not know the name of the plant write down some of the characteristics.

OK a little update for those trying to make their own breed.

I first had a plant (urban poison ) go hermi, but more male than not. I had harvested a majority of buds off a BC Big Bud and had just a couple small ones left to go. I took the male and let it grow till it was clearly pollinating, then I tapped the pollen over my female buds. Within I'd say a week or more seeds started to develop. I ended up waiting around 7 weeks total. I dried the buds for a few days till they were dry, I had a total of 31 100% dark seeds which I assume will be viable.

I plan on doing an indoor grow sometime this summer and also plan on doing a blog here to document my new strain.

Very exciting, thanks for all the advise everyone!

how long will dried seeds lsat for in a air tight container? will they last longer in a refrigerator or is just a dark spot enough to keep them fresh?

If your looking for long term seed storage then wrap with plastic wrap then tin foil them plastic wrap do this till u get 4 layers of each(This will prevent frost burn which will damage seed long term in retroactive developments) and PLEASE DO NOT PUT IN FREEZER IF SEEDS ARE ROOM TEMP. If you put anything in the freezer at room temp then the molecules of H2O freeze in large crystals and begin to pierce cell walls, but if u cool the seed down in the refrigerator then the H2O molecules don't create such huge ice crystals and dont damage cell walls as compared in first scenario.

Back
Top Bottom