Seed Storage

volksball

Hi guys,

So I just got my white widow seeds and need to store them for about a week or two. I left them in the vials that they came it in the packaging and placed them in the fridge with a humidity monitor and thermometer. I had the temperature at 7 degrees celcius and under 10% humidity. Fairly ideal.

I came down to the basement fridge where they were kept and noticed the freezer door had been left open for days. Not the fridge. I opened the fridge to a check the numbers for the seeds and the temp had risen to 9 degrees celcius, but 38% humidity. Ugh. I was gutted. I feel like I may have either triggered germination or somehow ruined my seeds. I closed the doors and the temps and humidity should reduce back to ideal.

Should the seeds be ok? Or will the risen humidity have ruined them??

Worried. Thanks.

I've watched YouTube videos of guys planting seeds they've had set back for a couple of years. I've never had much luck with garden seeds if they are over a year. Might be the packaging though.

I used to store my seeds in the freezer. Now I do it in the fridge. The old seeds have been in both places and still pop just fine.

For general storage it is best to do it in the fridge now days. I can't say the freezer was wrong though. The seeds did fine there also. The main reason for the change was temperature changes when getting seeds out of storage.

Either way your seeds will be fine as far as the way you kept them anyway.

Back
Top Bottom