Seed to pot

go for it... it wont have any stress on the plant at all since you dont have to transplant it.. i think one of the reasons why people start in smaller pots is to single out the males and finally transplant the females into bigger containers

Be *very* careful with how much you water. A tiny seedling cannot use up the water in a 5 gallon bucket very quickly. If it's very dry at the surface, it's almost sure to be soggy wet at the bottom for a good 10-14 days after the first one or two waterings.

Peace
MC

By starting in small pots, there are many advantages. First, it's harder to overwater like mademcrash said. Second, it helps save space when you have many plants in the grow room. You can veg them in smaller pots to save room, and then transplant the females.

Also, I feel, when you are growing in pots that by stepping up the sizes gradually the roots grow do in fact better. When you pour water in the pot, all the roots want to do is seek out the most moist soil. If a small plant were in a large pot, it's root would constantly be expanding, making for weaker thinner roots that do not uptake nutrients well. In addition, the plant may even still become root bound even though you started in a large pot. A smaller and heartier root system is more efficient.

I like to start in small pots, not sectioned trays. After 2 weeks I transplant to 2 quart containers until the 4-5 week when it is time to flower. Then the females are transplanted to 5 gal. pots with larger holes for good drainage. As long as you handle the plant with great care during transplant I feel it is the best approach to growing in containers.

I don't do that; I only transplant once. start off in a quart sized container, about a month later go to a 5 gallon one. I have good luck, as the one month old in the smaller container is very full of root in the container, like just before being root bound. then I 'release' it in the bigger one and it seems to respond very well to that.

RooRman said:
By starting in small pots, there are many advantages. First, it's harder to overwater like mademcrash said. Second, it helps save space when you have many plants in the grow room. You can veg them in smaller pots to save room, and then transplant the females.

Also, I feel, when you are growing in pots that by stepping up the sizes gradually the roots grow do in fact better. When you pour water in the pot, all the roots want to do is seek out the most moist soil. If a small plant were in a large pot, it's root would constantly be expanding, making for weaker thinner roots that do not uptake nutrients well. In addition, the plant may even still become root bound even though you started in a large pot. A smaller and heartier root system is more efficient.

I like to start in small pots, not sectioned trays. After 2 weeks I transplant to 2 quart containers until the 4-5 week when it is time to flower. Then the females are transplanted to 5 gal. pots with larger holes for good drainage. As long as you handle the plant with great care during transplant I feel it is the best approach to growing in containers.

good point as usual mr roorman. :adore:

plants grow best well the soil almost drys up every day. the first 1-2 inches should be dry and the rest almost dry. Well,at least thats what I know works best for me. And in bigger pot that wont happen.

Back
Top Bottom